• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

drive shaft bearing

M
Feb 24, 2010
I noticed that my spedo quit working so i went to check out the drive shaft bearing and sure enough it was wallowed out pretty good. i was wondering if the bearing on the drive shaft on the clutch side is out, will it make the chain case side bearing go out also? if so how do i tear into it to get the shaft off? the drive shaft is chewed up a little bit, so i might need to get it repaired.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I just went through this.

Your chaincase bearing is probably ok.

To remove your drive shaft you have to remove the chaincase cover. I suggest drilling a 1/4" drain hole (for the oil) in your bellypan right under the bottom of the chain case. Then remove the bolt/washer on the end of the drive shaft.

Then you loosen the axle bolts on your rear wheels and loosen the track tensioner bolts and puch the rear axle forward to put slack in the track. Removing both sets of idlers helps with this as well.

Then you wrestle the skid out. You want help with this. You may want to roll the sled over on it's side, or suspend the rear up off the floor.

Once the skid is out slide/jiggle the driveshaft towards the clutch side until the splined end is free.

If the damage (scoring) to your speedo end is minimal you can probably have a new bearing pressed on but if it's chewed up you'll need to buy a new driveshaft. That's what I had to do. Couldn't find one at my local sled salvage and had to suck up dealer pricing ($268 in Anchorage, AK) but the driveshaft came as a complete assembly with drivers and a bearing.

Since you'll have the track off now would be a good time to either upgrade your track, and/or drivers or to port your track if you were thinking about that.

S
Oct 5, 2009
i am going through the same process right now.i can get a bearing kit to fix it if the shaft is ok.mine is not ok so finding a used driveshaft is not easy.might have to buck up and buy a new one:rant:

M
Feb 24, 2010
Thanks for the info guys, turns out if the drive shaft is damaged to much, i just might my dad's buddy who is a welder weld it and then grind it down to the right specs to fit the bearing. on top of all this i have to rebuild the top end cuz the local yamaha dealer told me the wrong jets to put in my sled, ended up having to buy 2 new pistons and i need to send out my cylinders to get them replated.

Premium Features