• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snoscoot Compression ?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I just bought two Snoscoots for my boys. I have been through them and both are more or less the exact same. One is a 88 and the other a 89. The 89 flat out rips. The 88 seems to start out strong but then it seems like the power all of a sudden flattens out not like the 89 which pulls to top end. I checked the carbs to see if the mains were different but both carbs are identical and set the exact same.

The 88 has a B8HS plug and the 89 has a BR8HS plug which i don't think should make a difference.

I noticed the 88 had a intake leak around the read cage where a little oil/gas was slowly seaping out. I fixed that but it did not make a difference. I did a compression test on both. The 89 was 120 hot and 125 cold. The 88 was 90 hot and 112 cold. I cannot seem to find a compression spec anywhere.

If i lift the back end and WOT it seems to stay strong all the way through and it seems to get past this flat spot.

Any other ideas ? Thoughts ?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It runs just fine even at 6000 ft it ran good. I just changed the fuel pumps around to see if that was it and no change. New plugs gapped properly no change. The funny thing is when i lift the back end off the floor and pin it it seems to almost clear out and the flat spot dissapears, until i put some weight on it the flat spot is there. It has to be either low compression or maybe a clutch issue. I have new clutches coming for both of them so that will take care of the primarys. Strange. Cold compression is up at 112 psi. I'll get her LOL

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I just got back from riding with my boys on the lake. I noticed if i rode down a boat launch ramp it had full power and if held to the bar it would actually accelerate to top speed and stay there until i let off the throttle and then it would have the flat spot again. Would compression do this ? Seems strange.

I really wonder if this is a compression problem or some weird fuel/oil problem. I'll have to measure the oil pump to and see if it putting out the appropriate amount. Clutching needs investigation as well, LOL

Scoots are so much fun !

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
LOL just what i need is a 6 and 8 year old with 300HP.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah i have been talking to Tony about parts etc. He told me to give him a call in the am, so i will see what he thinks. I'm sure its a weak top end. Can't see the clutches really causing this but stranger things have happened. I think Snowest needs a Scoot section to compete with the 120 section. There is a lot of good info out there, although very scattered.

Premium Features