• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gauges!?!?

powder_slut

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2009
Cheyenne, Wy
What gauges does every one run? Would like liquid filled for the boost. Would also like something easy to read like a VDO. for air fuel been looking at innovative or AEM.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Does AV fuel ruin AFR sensor? How come no one is running a EGT's?

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I like the Autometer Liquid filled boost gauge,stable needle and no fogging up.
Non liquid filled fog up very quickly.
Ive had the Innovate and AEM gauges both worked fine. The Innovate you can free air calibrate while out in the field.
The lead in Race or avgas will shorten the life of the sensor. There is a product called Declain, the aircraft guys use it when they are unable to buy unleaded fuel.
One cap full in a tank of fuel and it takes care of the issue.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Should the gauge be plumbed in upstream or down from the throttle bodies?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I dont run any guages, shouldn't need too. You spend more time looking at the guages than riding. If the manufacturers would build something that works like a stocker, then you dont need to worry about guages, the computer should watch the sensors for you and make the necessary adjustments.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
That's great in theory, but the computer isn't setup to handle allot of the stuff people are adding from the aftermarket, is it? The ECM doesn't have the ability to watch AFR, and EGT, both of which can save your engine if you glance down now and then. If you don't like gauges, stick with something stock, or like MTNTK's turbo kit, and don't add to or change it. Otherwise, I'd run AFR and EGT gauges, as you can interpret a number of different incoming failures by reading both.

Sent From God Knows Where...

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I believe MTNTK uses the pipe temp sensor as part of its mapping, so in fact it monitors that stuff for you. Trust me, I have been riding mods for about 25 years and have always had guages on them. Just know it is alot more reassuring knowing someone else has done their homework and installed failsafes so I dont need to look at guages.

Just wondering, does the t1100 have guages? I would guess that if there is ever a factory 2 stroke turbo, no one would want extra guages to look at.

Last edited:
M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Oh I agree with you a hundred percent, if one of the OE's came out with a factory 2-s turbo, you wouldn't need any gauges, unless you started changing things. Lol! Far as the pipe temp sensor, that's all it is, pipe temp. That far from the exhaust port you really can't get any usable information on how hot the cylinder is getting.

I'm with you though, I've run mod stuff for way longer than I should have, and know all to well it sucks having to watch gauges, but that's the price you pay running close to the edge. That's why my new build is going to keep a very mild engine. More fun to Ride than worry.

Sent From God Knows Where...

powder_slut

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2009
Cheyenne, Wy
Thanks guys! I like the VDO/AEM set up. Just worried that the VDO will fail cause of vibration and not being liquid filled like sledhead said. Ak I've talked to you on IG about your mount set up. Have you WBER had your VDO go bad and had to replace it? The VDO is nice cause when running low boost situations you can tell exactly where your boost is at.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Autometer liquid filled boost gauges are awesome, I don't like boost gauges that don't show vaccum. Gauges are all zero'd at a certan level and I like to know exactly how much i am running over atmosphere. Kind of nit picking but the sleds aren't cheap so gauges should work well and help you!

As for AFR, AEM has always proved the most resiliant for me in the field, others seem to have all sorts of wacky issues. the Aem fogs just like others, but pull the cover and let it dry out in the shop between rides.

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
Do any of you guys have issues with your vdo boost gauge bouncing all over. Mine bounces 2-3 psi which makes it difficult to set my boost where I want it. I've been thinking about getting an autometer liquid filled gauge but I've heard they need calibrated for different elevations.

Premium Features