• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slobbery mess

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Are all M8000 slobbery messes under the hood?

I have had the reeds changed out and an oil pump that was sticking half open creating a rich high rpm bog. After 3 days of riding my bog is gone, big power difference and fuel/oil consumption is down.

I just took hood off to change out head domes, and I found a bloody mess in here

IMG_2644.jpg IMG_2645.jpg IMG_2646.jpg

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
if you put a bit of red silicon on the grafoil doughnut you don't have this problem.
and more so it you don't line up the notch in the doughnut you will have a mess about like yours.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
mine put a few black spots around after i removed the exhaust and put a can on. seems to have stopped.
I would imagine a rich oiler would send more unburnt oil out the exhaust. is that an aftermarket y pipe?

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
Drooling m8000

Clean donut gasket and flange with brake cleaner and I use ultra high temp permatex. Light film on inside of flange and light coat on outside of donut. Hook exhaust back up and let dry for a day.
Do the same to the y- pipe gaskets if their leaking too
Did it to all my sleds. Spotless under the hood.
Cleaning up that mess is a pain. I got mad and took the engine completely out so I could clean, otherwise you can only get at half of it. Good luck.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
It is an aftermarket Y.

I just started up sled, moved to different bay in my garage so I can work on it, pulled pipe off and I cannot believe how wet the inside pipe is. I've had all sorts of Polaris, and AC 700's, and an m1000, I've never seen this. So I'm not sure it's normal to be like this.

Attached are more pictures showing fuel/oil in exhaust Y.

IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
When on the hill last weekend, after unloading and doing warm up, it was a little rich at take off, cleaned up within 50-70yards, ran flawless all day for 3 days. Gotta say, a little worried, don't think the head domes are going on yet with my 2 year warranty I still have lol

Thanks for the replies fellas

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
SSI y-pipe? curious if you rode it stock before the y-pipe and how it compared. i was considering one. you might have to use sealant with it, if its leaking there thats not a cat issue.
on the richness thing i dont think you need to worry. mine always smokes a lot when cold. every sled Ive had did. I think its what you get with the old mechanical oil pump, some seeps through while it sits. These motors are known to "load up" a little when idling for long. When i take off in the morning it always takes like 100 yards to clear out, i try to be patient with it, let it warm up properly before mashing on it hard.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
SSI y-pipe? curious if you rode it stock before the y-pipe and how it compared. i was considering one. you might have to use sealant with it, if its leaking there thats not a cat issue.
on the richness thing i dont think you need to worry. mine always smokes a lot when cold. every sled Ive had did. I think its what you get with the old mechanical oil pump, some seeps through while it sits. These motors are known to "load up" a little when idling for long. When i take off in the morning it always takes like 100 yards to clear out, i try to be patient with it, let it warm up properly before mashing on it hard.

Yes SSI. I couldn't honestly say. I rented a 16le before I bought. I liked it a lot. Before I ever rode mine I changed Y, can, clutched and geared up to 21/49 and changed boards. Mine pulls a lot harder than the one I rented, now that the oil pump and reeds got changed and it's running better. Clutches are setup for 8000 and dialed pretty good, could be better but I don't fret over a gram, she gets me into untouched....

IMG_2640.jpg

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Messy Cats

It is an aftermarket Y.

I just started up sled, moved to different bay in my garage so I can work on it, pulled pipe off and I cannot believe how wet the inside pipe is. I've had all sorts of Polaris, and AC 700's, and an m1000, I've never seen this. So I'm not sure it's normal to be like this.

Mine is clean but it has not been apart, any hi heat silicone will do. As far as wet, they will be heavy on fuel when there cold, they need extra fuel to start and run until they warm a bit. One other thread i read was some were having fuel pressure issues causing flooding.

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
It is an aftermarket Y.

You said you've been out 3 times since it was fixed. I'm surprised that excessive oil from previously, hasn't burned out! I assume you rode like the rest of us....WFO!:face-icon-small-hap
Two stoke oils are not just made to lubricate, they are also designed to burn efficiently and clean without fouling things like plugs and exchaust valves.
My king cat I bought used was drooling out donut also. Don't know what kind of oil he was using but it was fairly clear when I drained it out.
What kind of oil are you using? If your oil consumption is norma,l then I'm led to believe your oil is not burning completely.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Amsoil Intimidator.
Ya 3 full days on mountain since it was fixed, ran great at elevation of 5600-8700. But then a cold start/warm upto unload and put away, then a cold start/warm up to get up to garage, wife was whining so I once again started and moved to other bay in garage. So that wet from idling not running I guess

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
Yeah, 3 starts without a hard run will tend to make it wet inside. If it continues, don't be afraid to try a different brand oil to see if that helps... unless you don't mind a little slobber. Good luck, at least it's ruining good.

Premium Features