• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker timing key

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
What tuning changes do you or did you make after installing the key?

I tried the 3 degree key last weekend on my 2010 800 and I lost rpm and throttle response. I turned the boost up but the "flick ability" wasn't there it just felt sluggish. I took some fuel away from the top end and it helped some but I still couldnt pull more than 8000 rpm. I pulled the key and went right back to running 8300 rpm.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I tried it on my wife's 2011 t-pro and I had to add fuel in the mid and top. Didn't have any issues that your having. I took it back off, the next time she rode it, because I didn't have it completely tuned in and no time to fool with it.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i installed the 3 degree last weekend. went out sunday riding 4-6k feet. at 9lbs it felt a little sluggish, turned it up to 11.9-12.4 and it felt much better (running 12 gallons 92 octane and 3.5 gallons of 110, same ration i've always ran just to be safe(trail tank if your wondering where i put 15.5 gallons)), pulls a lot harder than it did before the key and with a smother transition and more responsive bottom end. i was only pulling 8100 w/ the key tho but i blame that more so on not being able to properly load the motor there was barely enough snow to road ride. as soon as i get some real snow to play with it in i think i'll probably end up taking a few numbers away in the mid as well as the top.

Dirt2oil

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2010
After installing the key I also found that my rpm's were about 200-300 lower then before. Also had to add fuel on top. On the fence about leaving the key in or not. In all honesty how much is the key really helping? Maybe a pound or two more boost on same octane fuel? If I'm missing something please chime in.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I'm going to try again tomorrow and see if I can get it to run a little crisper. If I'm going to loose throttle response on the low end I guess I'll have the key for straight up monster pulls and pull it for everyday boondockin.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
The timing key, is really only needed if you're running pump fuel, or only enough Av/Race fuel to get by. What I mean by that is, if you're running 8 PSI of boost and straight pump gas, the timing key is going to help account for some of the inconsistencies of the fuel. However, this is kind of a safety feature for your motor, and will actually take a bit away from performance, on higher boost with better fuel. THe way it was explained to me by BD is that the chip will help guys that want to run pump gas have less motor issues with the poor quality/consistency of the gas. THose that want to run a little higher boost and or run a bit better quality fuel, will achieve better performance from their sleds by tuning with the box, and finding an octane fuel that safely handles the boost, but doesn't hinder the bottom end. THe way I took it, if you want a sled with moderate boost, that you can fill directly from the pump, get the chip. If you're willing to pay a little extra for fuel and take the time to tune the sled and the fuel to it, then it's not the way to go.
Personally, I'm still finding my exact ratio, but I'm getting close. Riding at 10K' last weekend, I was able to run 11 PSI on 50% 100LL, 50% 91 pump. I tried to bump to 12 PSI, and hit Det at the top of a long pull in deep snow. I went back down to 11 PSI and ran it again and didn't have the issue. I am going to try 75% 100LL/25% 91, next and see how that does. Hope this helps you guys

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I'm running straight 100ll with 10 lbs boost at 2500' with no problems. The boondocker dealer talked me into the key saying I could run up to 2 lbs more boost on the same fuel without a problem.

Premium Features