• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

engine problem... not sure what it is tho!!!

R
Jun 13, 2005
Ironwood,MI
My sled it a 04 RMK 800, I was riding the other day with my friends for about 4 hours then came back to my house. We raced across my field about 3 times and made a few doughnuts as well... We hit the kill switch on our sleds to BS for a bit. We sat for about 10 min then when I wanted to start my sled again I could not pull it over.

We pulled it back to my shop, I let it cool and poured some oil in the cyl and let it sit for a day.

I pulled the head off and I can turn the motor over by hand by spinning the clutch but it hits a hard spot. the pistons will go a full stroke, but when it is time to make a full rotation it fells like something is holding it back.

I pulled the cyl off and they are fine and the pistons are fine. So It HAS to be the crank right?

I had Indy Dan rebuilt it last year about this time and I prolly only put on 300 miles since then. Should that be covered under his warranty??? I still have all the paper work.

Also when he rebuilt it he had to put on a new PTO end, but but all new bearings on it at the same time. and whatever else he does.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
All motors have a hard spot when cranking them over by hand, you have to get that lobe to fall over the top. I wouldn't panic yet. Have you started it up since in the garage?

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
check your exhaust valves aswell to make sure there not broken off and sliding back into the cylinder. Had that happen on an 04 800 pro xr.

Last edited:
R
Jun 13, 2005
Ironwood,MI
No I have not tried to start it, If something major was dammaged I did not want to make it worse. and Like I said, i pulled the cyls off and the exhaust valves are fine, that is one of the first things I checked.

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
have you turned it over with the cylinders off? same hard spot? have you pulled recoil to make sure bolt didn't come loose and get into flywheel?

Rob

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
If you do not see any damage to the rod bearings on the crank or any damage to the case under the rods it probaly is in the mag and you will need to pull the fly wheel to see in there. Tho this does not happen alot it does happen.

Premium Features