• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What gauges are ABSOLUTLEY NEEDED

T

tjc

Jan 8, 2008
just about impossible to blow up a 4stroke by leaning it out it will tell you when it starts poping right away & wont run.but i get your point if i had to pick between a boost or af i would take the boost gauge to much boost will kill a motor very fast.

Wouldn't a by product of too much boost be a lean engine or too low octane? Just trying to learn here. I have been lucky and never blew an engine but my thought process is a engine that is lean would promote detonation.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Wouldn't a by product of too much boost be a lean engine or too low octane? Just trying to learn here. I have been lucky and never blew an engine but my thought process is a engine that is lean would promote detonation.

yes too much boost can make a lean condition witch will make more heat causing deto. a 4stroke will tell you quickly when you get it just a little lean & it will fall on its face once wide open.so its hard to get it to deto because it just wont run when lean at wot.now if you run 20lbs boost on 91 oct & a 30second wide open pull now you got big deto do that a few times in a day &:boom:.you can do damage over a long period by run wide open at say13.0 vs 11.5-12 a/f but it will take a long time,not like a 2stroke they go boom fast.

R
Aug 20, 2011
MN
One thing to add. Most people running more than 20#s of boost have had motor work done like pistons, rods, head studs etc. If you try to run 20#s on a stock motor even if you have an upgraded fuel system, run straight 114 octane race fuel, and your fuel controller set for a perfect 11:1 AFR, your motor probably won't hold together very long I'm guessing.
IMO AFR and Boost gauges are mandatory for any boosted sled. I mean you spend that much for a turbo or supercharger, whats another three hundred or so on gauges for tuning/insurance.

Premium Features