• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E-tec break in

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
JFYI....took one of our e-tecs to the dealer and with 190 miles and about 19 gallons of fuel consumed, it still has 44% to go through the break-in period. :face-icon-small-dis. It is not simply 22 gallons as stated by Doo, in the manual and in bulletins. It will be over 400 miles to get these things past break in and running to full potential.
I guess I better get busy!! That's half a season for the average rider around here.
And during break-in, there are many wierd things going on....backfiring, bogs, wicked vibrations....all a normal part of break-in according to Doo. :face-icon-small-con.
With proper clutching these things seem to run strong, especially for not being at full power yet.

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
crazy huh! we have seen the same thing. one of ours got killer gas milage but oil consumption was through the roof.

just let everyone you can ride it ad it only takes like a week lol.:first:

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
JFYI....took one of our e-tecs to the dealer and with 190 miles and about 19 gallons of fuel consumed, it is still only 44% through the break-in period. :face-icon-small-dis. It is not simply 22 gallons as stated by Doo, in the manual and in bulletins. It will be over 400 miles to get these things past break in and running to full potential.
I guess I better get busy!! That's half a season for the average rider around here.
And during break-in, there are many wierd things going on....backfiring, bogs, wicked vibrations....all a normal part of break-in according to Doo. :face-icon-small-con.
With proper clutching these things seem to run strong, especially for not being at full power yet.

That mirrors my experience as well, had 49% remaining at 17 gallon of fuel. Same coughing, spitting and farting. I'm now at 550 miles, all that is gone now, runs pretty clean and normal past about 250 miles.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Thats some good info there. I have been meaning to take mine in and have the dealer look at it as well. But seem to be busy all the time and can't make it by.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
got 320 kms now but honestly it never coughed, sputtered or anything. Ran strong from first pull. Maybe the deep snow and riding to the bars actually kept the plugs clean? Did use as much oil as the p-tek though,

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
got 320 kms now but honestly it never coughed, sputtered or anything. Ran strong from first pull. Maybe the deep snow and riding to the bars actually kept the plugs clean? Did use as much oil as the p-tek though,

The odd thing is, we have 2 identical sleds ridden side by side for every mile....one has all the "wierd stuff" going on, the other runs smooth as butter. The first 100+ miles they felt identical, now they feel nothing alike....but both do run strong with no noticable difference in power.
The only thing I'm baffled by is the vibration issue.....what is there in break in programming that would cause a VERY noticable vibration/resonance to occur?? Perhaps injector timing??? I don't know-

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The odd thing is, we have 2 identical sleds ridden side by side for every mile....one has all the "wierd stuff" going on, the other runs smooth as butter. The first 100+ miles they felt identical, now they feel nothing alike....but both do run strong with no noticable difference in power.
The only thing I'm baffled by is the vibration issue.....what is there in break in programming that would cause a VERY noticable vibration/resonance to occur?? Perhaps injector timing??? I don't know-

Winter are you talking about before engagement or at lower rolling speeds because I did notice a bit of change to the later after changing my clickers and I thought I read that one of them you are playing with the clutch?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Winter are you talking about before engagement or at lower rolling speeds because I did notice a bit of change to the later after changing my clickers and I thought I read that one of them you are playing with the clutch?

Noticable from off idle to 6000ish.....after that the frequency is high enough you won't feel it.
We made minor changes on one sled, mostly with the secondary. I put everything back to stock to make sure there wasn't some goofy balance/harmonics issue and there was no change.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Crazy. how many miles will these motors last if the breakin period is 500 miles?
Hey brew, were headin to Anderson Watson saturday,,,, if ya need any help puttin the spurs to the etec's

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Mine has ran clean with no issues from day one. Feels strong with around 175 miles on it. So winterbrew have you came up with a kit yet?

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
I talked to a guy last weekend, who had over 600 miles on his, and said he didn't notice any difference. He's still convinced the burn in chip is a myth. He didn't complain, & said it's ran pretty good since the 1st time out. He did say that the oil consumption is only about the same as his 2010, but the gas mileage was quite a bit better.

I noticed when I rode them that it pulled pretty good. I was getting 8000 rpm's. It seemed a little soft on the bottom end, but it still did pretty good in the powder.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
400 miles for break-in on an 800 snowmobile engine sounds massively excessive. Not to be a smart ***, but that's like what....20% of the top end's life expectancy?

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
We have found the faster breakin, is on the road, not above 7100 rpm's. Vary the rpm's, no hard pulls. Slow, in the trees will extend the breakin period. They do run very strong.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Mine has ran clean with no issues from day one. Feels strong with around 175 miles on it. So winterbrew have you came up with a kit yet?

A realistic time will be early January. We need time to get them broken in, try a variety of setups in different snow conditions and at different altitudes, different gearing and probably have parts made to our specs before we will send anything out.

C
Nov 23, 2009
I thought I read somewhere, that the break in period is monitored by the TPS, 'throttle position sensor'. They were told by their BRP tech rep that it takes about 6hrs and that the motor runs about 70% of its full potential.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
I was at Felkers last week when Lynn hooked his E-tec up to the computer. It showed 396 miles and 16hrs. Time remaining: 0. He had it on the computer the ride before with roughly 300 miles and 12hrs and it still had time remaining. That being said, the only way to know if yours is "off the chip" is to plug 'er in to the mighty BRP brain machine and look! Lynn's guess is the 15 hr mark, but every Doo engineer told him its a factor of all things: Time, speed, etc.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
AI corrected my first post....I had 44% to go, not 44% into it. The other sled with same mileage had 41% remaining.
It does combine many factors into the break-in time.
Has anyone else noticed the vibration thing?? Where it ran very smooth, then began the vibration/resonating thing? And if so, when did it go away?....that's the only thing that I can't wrap my brain around....the other symptoms are minor and easily explained with running a bit rich.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Lynn said that there are some weird noises and shakes too. It comes with "Gremlins":face-icon-small-ton

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA

The vibration I can't speak to, but the two 600 etec's I bought last year were very different during break in. On one, coughing, sputtering, and a funny hesitation that'll nearly throw you over your handlebars, the other butter smooth all the time but no matter what clicker settings you used couldn't get over 7,800RPM. So weird.

They both eventually worked out their issues, but funny enough to pull 8,100 RPM one is on clicker 3 and the other on 4. Deeper snow +1 clicker on each. The clutching on the 600 is okay, not perfect. It suffers as the snow gets deeper.

Maybe I'll get an 800 in 2012 once you guys have them dialed in.

Premium Features