• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Viper weight

M
Jan 14, 2004
I rode with 2 Turbo Cats last weekend, both of them had chaincase issues. The first one reverse just flat out quit and the other one you had to put into reverese to get it to go forward, don't know why. They had some other issues as well going on. From what I saw in the few days we rode together you couldn't give me one of those things, complete POS.

M5

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
2 questions Neil. What is your thought on the chain case ? Water to Air ? Is the chain case all Arctic Cat or is there some Yamaha precision in there LOL ? Any other thoughts on the chassis as far as reliability goes ?
I am not a fan of the reverse design of the chaincase. We are removing all of the reverse hardware and locking it in drive.
Our kit on this sled does have water to air. The production kit will also have water to air.
I love the chassis. I am not going to condemn it because the reverse might not work. Lol
Like anything in life, if you don't like what you have...then change it. I wouldn't ride a stock Nytro either.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
For those of us running the Procross/climb skids in our Nytro's:

Stock XTX: 71lbs
Stock MTX: 68lbs (2010+ newer version)
Stock AC 153: 44lbs

So there is 24 lbs of "diet" in the skid alone.

A few of the guys I know who drag race the Turbo 1100's have ditched the reverse and installed a manual chain tensioner from Supreme Tool, which seems to do the trick, however most are reluctant to run really high boost because the chain can still snap. But with a boatload of studs and stutterbox giving a ton of boost early....not sure too any chain would withstand that abuse repeatedly.

Really liking NM's build....love the Nytro engine, but man its hard to fit low in any chassis cause its so freekin tall to start with.

I hear ya Neil...you ain't kidding when you say its a lot of work....

Very cool btw.

OTM

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
For those of us running the Procross/climb skids in our Nytro's:

Stock XTX: 71lbs
Stock MTX: 68lbs (2010+ newer version)
Stock AC 153: 44lbs

So there is 24 lbs of "diet" in the skid alone.

A few of the guys I know who drag race the Turbo 1100's have ditched the reverse and installed a manual chain tensioner from Supreme Tool, which seems to do the trick, however most are reluctant to run really high boost because the chain can still snap. But with a boatload of studs and stutterbox giving a ton of boost early....not sure too any chain would withstand that abuse repeatedly.

Really liking NM's build....love the Nytro engine, but man its hard to fit low in any chassis cause its so freekin tall to start with.

I hear ya Neil...you ain't kidding when you say its a lot of work....

Very cool btw.

OTM

I thought about posting why I felt the Yamacat was 60 to 80 pounds lighter other than my lift on the floor impression, but some folks have there mind made up and I did not want to start a flame war. Will be interesting to see an actual weight on one.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
And here are a few ideas to get lighter that are already out there for the cat chassis.

C3 hood - 15lbs
Nextech skid - 10lbs
C3 fuel tanks - 14lbs

Maybe 470 lbs?

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
The viper i saw hanging from a scale says it will be around 30 lbs lighter than a Nytro MTX. That's all I'm saying.

Most of the weight loss is just from the cat skid and fewer steel brackets throughout the tunnel.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I just bought a 2014 Arctic Cat M8 with 152 track. 481 pounds without gas, so add the extra Nytro engine weight which is what? 20-30 pounds?

I am only 155 pounds and I can lift this Cat from the front, so wow is this thing light compared to even my turbo Phazer. (or better weight balance? either I like)

Would have bought Viper but didn't want to have to buy a new sled and lengthen the track, but am really curious to see 2015 Mountain Max....Yamaha might get me back!

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I have one in my shop right now doing some work. it is a tight fit with the Yamaha motor in there I will say that...Not sure of weight but we are building a complete carbon fiber body kit, 10 pcs total and a new air box for performance..Our body kits with all 10 carbon fiber pieces weight only 10 lbs total..

Looking it over it has a few small differences from the Arctic Cat like, clutches, some body work, head light, top instrument panel, speedo/tach..

it should be a nice sled for Yamaha....

TJ

Premium Features