• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick fix for cracked gas tank filler neck?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
It's on a Indy tank, the filler neck is about half cracked off. Should I try some super plastic epoxy or something?

Any ideas?

I had the same thing happen to my arctic cat. I took it to a radiator repair shop and they used the same stuff that they use on plastic radiators for cars. It held up good and cost 20 bucks. Might be something to look into.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
What TEC said........I have used mine a bunch. If you can make cereal you can weld plastic with this thing. Comes with a lot of different rod and a good DVD to get ya started. A must have if you break stuff. EW

100_4337.jpg

100_4336.jpg

100_4333.jpg

Even welded on this small screw post
100_4630.jpg

A little shaping
100_4637.jpg

Good as new
100_4650.jpg

100_4643.jpg

Got 'em pretty cheap at Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mini+weld+model+6&x=10&y=12

Last edited:

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
There is a safety recall on certain Polaris tanks. Take you serial number to a Polaris dealer and check it out. They replaced the whole tank on my 2004 RMK Vertical Edge. If my memory serves me right if it's a safety recall any person owning that product is entitled to get it fixed.

Boostfreak

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2002
Lander, Wyoming
If you can find pvc that is the same diameter as the inside of the filler neck you can glue that inside the neck. have seen it done and it seems to work real well and is really cheap.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
If you can find pvc that is the same diameter as the inside of the filler neck you can glue that inside the neck. have seen it done and it seems to work real well and is really cheap.

Now that's the kind of idea I was looking for. Brilliant !

The welder looks great but for that price I could buy a few used tanks.

Thanks guys!

Dec 1, 2007
I've done that on old tanks that weren't warrantied, and it worked great. If you can't find the right diameter, you can have a machine shop turn it down to the right diameter, then just glue it in there.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington

Will gas or gas fumes have an effect on the pvc or the glue. Excess or deteriorated glue in the fuel system couldn't be good.

You might be able to weld it with a soldering iron and a zip tie as well. EW

Boostfreak

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2002
Lander, Wyoming
Has not seemed to cause any problems at all. Have a friend that did it to an 02 800 mc at the start of the year and has rode the crap out of it all year and still holding strong. Think he just used the 2 stage glue for pvc.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I've got a good tank off of an '89 650 I'd let go cheap. I'll be headed over to the Shelton area in August too.

Premium Features