• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjustable steering post broke

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
You can do my setup for about half that but it's not near as fancy as calebs. Same thing just an arctic Cat post and fly non adjustable risers with fat bars and grips.

If you want more info pm me. But just to be clear calebs is the recommended way to go, but if your a tight *** like I was this is just as good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Caleb, thanks for clarifying.

What I would like to do is keep the stock steering post on the M5 intact. The adjustable one you were kind enough to send is a project for me to work on.

So, I guess I should be looking for the bottom half of a broken steering post from an earlier M sled? What years? 2005 to 2008?

Then I can cut it to length, sleeve it with 1/2 gas pipe and add a set of the new style bars and bar clamps. Right?

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
So is the BDX adjustable post any better than Cat's or is it just lighter?

I picked up a 2011 CFR8 super cheap. I added a MT seat and plan on going 141 but first I have to do something with those bars...way to low...I have bars from a 07 M1000 in the mail and if one of you guys want to part with your POS adjustable post, I'm a buyer!

907riders.com

Mar 23, 2009
Wasilla, AK
www.907riders.com
BackCountry is spot on with his recommendation...

I have welded and re-welded numerous posts, sleeves and gussets and they still break..

Finally went with WildChild's chromoly T-Top post and it flat out works.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I see what you're saying about some where for those impact forces to go. What do you recommend for a fix for under a hundred? I think that the wildchild T post was 180 by itself

I just replaced the stock post with another stock post for under 60 bucks. (just the bottom section not the entire adjustable section)

I have the old one in my shop if someone wants it..

also I did try and use a piece of cold rolled shafting, drilled the stock tube in a few spots and plug welded and then welded the break. Made it a full day's ride then broke again. Not a great plan. (unless you are tig'in it and know what your doing)

Thunder

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I have a 2 or 3inch Rox riser on my 09 M tilted a forward about 1.5-2 inch and really like it and want to sell my adj post off my 11 HCR but would like to know if the WC post is worth the $100 over the CFR also. I dont think you can break the CFR post and I think the WC post uses the cat post bottom

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So is the BDX adjustable post any better than Cat's or is it just lighter?

I picked up a 2011 CFR8 super cheap. I added a MT seat and plan on going 141 but first I have to do something with those bars...way to low...I have bars from a 07 M1000 in the mail and if one of you guys want to part with your POS adjustable post, I'm a buyer!

The BDX adj. post has the same inherent weakness as the cat. It's lighter, and a "better" post, but the same hit to the bars that will fold a cat post will fold a BDX one as well.
One thing it's not going to do is SNAP like the cat posts do, because of the weld where they attach the dissimilar metals on the cat post, compared to consistent material on the BDX.
Honestly that's the biggest danger of the cat one, is that it snaps instead of just bending, and once you've re-welded them, the next step is ALWAYS snapping since you've created a section that is more rigid than before.

As to the CFR vs WC posts... the WC post is stronger, lighter, and IMO will hold up longer. It's just a better setup, from how it's gusseted, to how the joint on the bottom is constructed and how he does his steering tabs. If I were looking to make a quick change for cheap, like putting it together to sell... I'd consider the CFR one, but being that I look at this as a "do it & don't touch it again" mod... the WC one is the way I would go if you can spare the $$.

Last edited:
Premium Features