• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek '09 Clutch Kit install help.

F
Dec 15, 2007
confused

what year its that sled i just installed one in my sled and it didnt come with those billet peices they just us those rollers am i missing something i have a 08 m8

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
billett pieces

The billett pieces are only for the 09 electric reverse, different than the
08 helix. look at the pictures of the 09 helix at the top of this post.

still waiting for a complete report from alaskaS3 since he has had a chance to test ride. Thanks .

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anchorage, AK
This kit is coming off of my sled.

It ran great for half a day, then it started making it's grinding sound again. I'll post pictures later, when I get a chance to take it apart, but the helix is bent. Where the helix engages the reverse pieces, it bent upwards, causing the whole thing to start binding again. More gouging, huge burrs, etc. The burrs were bad enough, I couldn't shift the clutch by hand to get the belt off.

Rick, the washers did the trick with the reverse, for what it's worth. Proper deflection, good positive engagment. Happy with that part.

I'm just sick of dealing with this thing, I'm going back to Arctic Cat parts.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Ok. Here's a "before" picture of my helix:

IMG_0639.jpg

Here's some pictures after 100 miles:

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Once that part of the helix bends up, the billet reverse pieces ride on the helix, binding horribly, and making a horrendous noise. All three were bent like that.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Not So Good !

Wow, looking at the two photos, First, it looks like the drive belt is touching the helix when at full shift (overdrive) which would indicate clutch is opening too far. Second, it must be trying to open the shive when engaging in reverse and unwinding the spring which is trying to bend the end of the cut out area on the helix. I wonder what the real fix is for this problem? I also wanted to run this set up but not like this. I can see why you had a hard time getting helix off when ramp edges were bent. ?? Thanks for posting photos,

T
Dec 4, 2007
if i was u i would call kelsey and talk to him on this and see what he has to say.. maybe he will work something out with u.. i just got mine to and was going to install mine but kinda worried now..

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I have installed one on my 07 m8 and i didn't have thoughs billet peices ethier? Not sure why you have thoughs on yours:confused:

They are for the ACER engine reverse on the 09's.(clutches have to spin backwards) Where as your is mechanical reverse in your Diamond Drive.(clutches never change direction)

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Pieces in correctly:
IMG_0637.jpg

AlaskaS3, I'm just thinking out loud here but what if you had those billet pieces in upside down? If they were in the other way (hook on top),the "thicker part" would go into the notched out area on the helix. Wouldn't it? I would really like to know what is wrong with the kit because I was going to order it. You would think they would have tested it and got good results before putting it into production.:confused:

C
Oct 6, 2008
06 m7

I just put the kit on mine and it worked fine in the back yard. Going to go test it fully on Wednesday. Had a few problems installing, but I don't have reverse either. Talked to Kelsey and he basically said put it on and go, made it sound real simple. Hopefully it works!

F
Dec 15, 2007
whos kelsey

i am haveing some problems with mine to who is kelsey and is he willing to talk to some one and help them out

W

Warrior67

Nov 28, 2007
He's aware of the problem. I have sent him emails regarding this matter and he has been in denial about it. Just says it works fine, Well obviously it does not. We have just put the stock rollers back in, in place of the billet hooks and running without reverse. If you put in the shims that he sends you cannot set the belt deflection properly and you are creating heat. I have a friend working on a solution will know more once we get some testing done.

T
Oct 14, 2008
Buhl idaho
just installed my last night going riding tonight in the field to test it out a little bit then, going up for a three day trip this weekend will let you know when i get a chance.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
update

AlaskaS3 sent me a pm stating he had gone back to the compression spring set up and a different angle helix and using the shift assist set up. He stated he will be at work for about another week before he gets a chance to try out the shift assist set up. I also have ordered the shift assist and rock rollers to install in my 09 M8, I guess we all will have to wait until someone else posts
test results on the above/earlier torsion spring setup for the 09 cats.

Premium Features