• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats everyone using for tether kill switches?

Its on a 2010 m8 Le. Trying to get one through arctic cat but having a lot of trouble. Have a 5639-859 ordered but im pretty sure only fits the '12s. I asked about the 4639-140 which says on cats website that it fits my sled but when they bring it up on the computer at the dealership they say it for 97-05. Will probably end up getting a universal one i guess.

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
GO ON either ebay, cat parts nation or ken's sports or oregon trail

they all sell the Cat one for $35, takes 30 minutes to install looks like stock when finished

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
lol i paid 15$ for mine royal distributing has them. just wondering are th ecats plug n play? my polaris was very easy

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
according to the dealership arctic cat doesnt make a tether switch for the 2010 and they dont know if one from a 2011 will work so im just going to buy a universal one. Will be cheaper too. I need an open circuit one right?

Didn't the 2010 HCR come with a tether stock???

Given the choice I'd rather have the clip style one like this

210438.jpg

I've had a few cat ones... they're ok, but a pain. THe clip style ones go back on easier, you're more likely to use it, and you can put it where it should go, which to me, is further up, not down by the key where the cat one goes.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
went through 3 in 2 years ,, sick of replacing them ,, cant get one that will stay working

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
4639-140 which says on cats website that it fits my sled but when they bring it up on the computer at the dealership they say it for 97-05.

thats the one i used for my 2010
it is easy to install and works just fine.
the key to this style is to put a little grease with your finger inside the rubber end then push it on, if you do this it is easy to push on and off, but not so easy when it comes off that its a problem.
i have used 3 of them on my 3 m sleds 07,09,10 and had no problems or failures..
grease is the key on the connection. you could use vaseline if you wanted
i just used the same grease i use for the skid on the sled.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Thanks guys thought the 4639-140 was the right one but dealership said no, will be ordering one asap. Is this one plug and play? It mounts where stock key is right?

yes it is plug and play, it will come with 2 different connectors, its easy to figure out which one you need.

i put mine next to the key on my sled, not in place of it.
i still need the key to start sled as well as the tether plugged in.

works great.
just remember to grease the rubber end on the tether, makes it work much better.....

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
according to the dealership arctic cat doesnt make a tether switch for the 2010 and they dont know if one from a 2011 will work so im just going to buy a universal one. Will be cheaper too. I need an open circuit one right?

not sure if that is entirely true. ive ordered mine directly from cat (local dealer: Waldron arctic cat in issaquah, WA) and it DID fit on my '10 M8 SP.

the issue i'm running across is here is a rubber piece inside the "tether" that wears out. what happens is the plunger (what you hook to your jacket with the red coiled line) generates "suction" when you become disconnected or disconnect from the tether button mounted on your sled (i mounted mine next to the igntion switch). over time the rubber cover gets torn and wears out. water gets in and shorts out your sled. then you need to "undo" the wiring from under the hood and connect it as if you didnt have a tether (if you wanted to continue riding that day - haha). royal PITA. ive gone through (3) thethers in 2 years. cat needs to re-design IMO.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just bought two of the Pro Design clip style ones from Free Agent a few minutes ago, no more dealing with the crappy cat ones, no more putting a screw in it to get it to work...

I know guys with these on the polaris, they love them & they work.

M
Oct 20, 2009
Just bought two of the Pro Design clip style ones from Free Agent a few minutes ago, no more dealing with the crappy cat ones, no more putting a screw in it to get it to work...

I know guys with these on the polaris, they love them & they work.

Do they make Pro Design tethers for Cats? I like the looks of them but the websites I found them on say they will NOT work on Arctic Cat.

http://www.shopmotorcycleonlinestore.com/Pro-Design-CLIP-TYPE-HANDLEBAR-MOUNT-TETHER-SWITCH-detail.htm?productId=9950174

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
She talked to OVS while on the phone with me, and was saying that the older cats were closed normal, and that was where they were getting that from.

Garr said that as long as it was open normal, we're good.

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Can a person just use the tether and bypass the switch all together? Lost my key and wanted to just use a tether and wire it in directly without the key. Dont want to keep having the sled with just the wires unplugged from the ignition.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just installed the pro design today, works GREAT!!
put it up where I wanted it, near the bars, so it won't get pulled by accident.

300699_2168931104890_1295088056_31918685_476815222_n.jpg

Wired it in place of the key, but you could run it in parallel (needs to be parallel, not in series) if you wanted.

310634_2168933504950_1295088056_31918686_905689080_n.jpg

this is the one that says "not for arctic cat" but it works perfect. Garr said it was because cat used to be normal closed, and pro design has never changed their info.

VERY happy with this setup, so much better than the plug style imo.

Premium Features