• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Snowmobiling

B
Sep 8, 2008
I have just started snowmobiling a little bit a couple of years ago thanks to the use of some sleds my father in law purchased. I have bought a 96 yamaha vmax xt with reverse from him which I have ridden several times before. I am a long time dirt bike/atv rider so I am not completely new to hill climbing and jumping and so forth. I have really improved my riding over the last season as far as stable control in the powder (the usuall beginner obstacles). I am looking to make some strides in my experience this year and am curious to know what my limitations are going to be with riding the vmax? I am not looking to climb the highest peak, but I do want to climb some hills and from what I have heard the Vmax is more of a trail sled. Keeping that in mind I want to play safe and not push myself and my machine over the limit to places that we shouldn't be. I am not one to ride over my ability, but I will push myself for learning sake. Got to figure it out somehow right? So long story short, what do you experienced riders think the limitations of this snowmobile are if any?

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
I used to own one of those.
They are a pretty indestructable sled...I know, I went off a rock face cliff on it and it survived with only needing a hood and windshield...I busted my knee up and limped for over a year!

I have a few older sled video's where the riders are jumping those and playing in the deap stuff, having a blast.

The only real downfalls are...
They are a little heavy, but light compared to today's Yammies.
The ski stance is a bit wide so they are a little more dificult to pull over on their side in the heavier deep stuff.
With the cooler bending down at the rear they are harder and a little more expensive to get a real long track under them.
But that's about it really.
All sleds have some limitations. Learn to overcome them and just ride!

Welcome to the Addiction!

B
Sep 8, 2008
The problems with the weight and the wide stance are both problems that I have dealt with in the past, but on the bright side I am getting pretty good at getting out of being stuck with lots of practice.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
I rode a 96 vmax for quite a few years. It was a fun sled, but yeah they are harder to boondock. If you get that sled over though you will never have any trouble with the newer sleds later down the road. You may not be able to climb as high in the deep fluff but when the snow is some what hard you will be able to climb anything that you should be climbing with your experience.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have just started snowmobiling a little bit a couple of years ago thanks to the use of some sleds my father in law purchased. I have bought a 96 yamaha vmax xt with reverse from him which I have ridden several times before. I am a long time dirt bike/atv rider so I am not completely new to hill climbing and jumping and so forth. I have really improved my riding over the last season as far as stable control in the powder (the usuall beginner obstacles). I am looking to make some strides in my experience this year and am curious to know what my limitations are going to be with riding the vmax? I am not looking to climb the highest peak, but I do want to climb some hills and from what I have heard the Vmax is more of a trail sled. Keeping that in mind I want to play safe and not push myself and my machine over the limit to places that we shouldn't be. I am not one to ride over my ability, but I will push myself for learning sake. Got to figure it out somehow right? So long story short, what do you experienced riders think the limitations of this snowmobile are if any?

Welcome to the sport !!!

The good side to that sled is cost. You can buy another sled for $500 bucks.

Well like any mobile machine it it is about its handling, acceleration, braking, suspension.

For a beginner it is great because you can beat the crap out of and only be out $500 bucks!

But as you read in these forums the newer sleds do just about everything better except cost less.

What's better, throttle response, power to weight ratio, gas mileage, suspension travel, handling, rider position and goes on from there.

The best thing to have when riding a sled is experience. With an older cheaper sled you will be able to take bigger chances with less harm to the pocket book.

So when you do get a newer sled you will already have the experience to be a better rider.

Oh and this site typically has guys wanting all that new bling. A good site for details on an older sled IMHO is www.snowmobileforum.com

I have a couple sleds and go to many sites to get an opinion.

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Keep practicing and you will overcome a lot of stuff. If you are real comfortable with flats and deep snow, start playing in the trees, get used to slow speed deep stuff and some minor hills. Work your way up and you will discover what the sled will and won't do.

I wouldn't recommend extended long range riding without some other people just in case it goes in and you can't get it out yourself, but other than that, go for it.

Premium Features