• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Axys Improvement Wish List

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Start reversing the oversupply trend that Jaynelson pointed out. It's killing the sport due to equity loss that has been pointed out. Present economics should not be ignored if you plan for a stronger future.

A used sled should not be looked at like a STD by your dealers. Start training them that a controlled supply of quality used units in every price range will give their sales team a chance to gain a customer that may have otherwise walked out with cash still in their pockets.
Possibly a program that allows a percentage of trade value to be continued on at the floor financing rate may help this along.

Start attracting new to the sport riders or possibly returning enthusiasts with more than just vids, poster boys and financing on your flagships. Offer technologically advanced entry level sleds with at least two lower priced alternatives below.
An example may be a complete CF fan cooled sled with Fox EVO r's, 141x2.4" and a weight of 332 lbs (you can throw a 600 in after a couple of years of proving and,,, you've been sitting on the tech for way too long) at say $9999.
Then one step below is the "mixed race" model with aluminum sprinkled with CF and premium WE's for $7999, followed up by the all aluminum one with generic WE's for $7299.

You know, bring back a "family-that-rides-hard-together" model of sledding again, instead of offering only "everybody-wants-what-Burant-rides" model.
Pa gets the CF model for a while. The kids dream of getting a ride on it one day while they argue who takes Mom's sled that day. And Mom,,, well she's just happy to see everyone together and is fine with whatever is left over (sexist disclaimer lol).

I've seen too many friends drop out of the sport because of a family growing. Taking a 174" 800 monster out with a kitty kat and a Phazer is not really a fun for all family plan because the trading up plan is too large in steps and the sled capabilities are too far apart.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Make a competition model available to the general public. Tether, hour meter, accurate tach and speedo. strip all the frills, no key, no lights etc. skip the warranty and reduce the price accordingly.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I agree with the price reduction, but you guys want a new chassis every few yrs and more light weight stuff every year that costs $ and they don't sell that many units.

I would like a Polaris and all the manufacturers to quit jamming sleds down the dealers throat's. Lost 2 dealers in my area and a couple more might be done as well.

As far as the 18 goes I want a belt drive 3" 155/163 option

An angled grease zerk on the sleds with clicker shocks so you can grease the front torque arm. I have been putting 90 degree ones in every year

A lightweight back up battery for the GPS gauge for sleds with out electric start.

Clip under the paddles on the poo tracks

These are easy cheap changes but overall pretty happy with the sled.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Get rid of all the bushings and we want our grease zerks back. I am guessing you had a great idea with these maintenance free bushings but the damn material is all wrong. You want a good quality material that will last more then a season. And get away from the mentality of maintenance free. We are sledders and part of the pride of being a sledder is maintaining your equipment. Sure, I am guessing you are trying to pull in new customers, but making everything easy for them ain't going to solve it. If they want to join sledding, then they should be able to at least know how to do basic stuff incase they get stuck out on the trails.

We pay $14,000+ on snowmobiles, and that is before us hardcore riders spend even more on modding and making it out own. So keep up happy by allowing us to keep maintenance on our sleds instead of trying to make more money off of us by replacing grease zerks with disposable parts.

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
I am liking all the family friendly/budget friendly comments and suggestions. I couldn't agree more. Not everyone can afford a stable of 800 174 LE turbos sleds. But some quality budget 550s or 600s might keep people in the sport as mentioned. My next ride will be a 600 for these reasons.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I am liking all the family friendly/budget friendly comments and suggestions. I couldn't agree more. Not everyone can afford.
Totally agree. I think sooner or later it's going to (need to) come full circle and start getting more family friendly again, as that aspect of the sport is really dying. I think there is room for a more entry level model that people could actually afford for their kids. The key is keeping it reasonably priced and not awful...make it a solid performer without getting carried away, give it a half decent profit margin so dealers actually want to stock it and are stoked on it, and I think you could sell a few.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
More short list:

4. Front cooler option on PROs.

Check out the SKS, it has a front cooler.

I like this thread, lots of good info. For people that said "better shocks", what are you looking for? I've never had an issue with the WE shocks.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Personally I am not that interested. I stare at screens enough at work and home. When there is snow, I just want to ride. I can see some features being useful at times, but I rarely look at the dash. JMO.

^This.
I think most of the "new" gauge features are marketing gimmicks.
Tach, speedo (just because, never look at it unless I'm racing down a road anyway), trip odometers, and water temp, maybe add afr instead of a big screen DVD player and gps.
If I having a good day, it means I can't see the gauge anyway!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I like this thread, lots of good info. For people that said "better shocks", what are you looking for? I've never had an issue with the WE shocks.
Something like a fox EVOL, exits, raptors, or even the WE needles from the Assault are just a burlier, more adjustable and higher quality item.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Since the belt drives tend to disintegrate much more often with either a track upgrade like a 3" track or a power upgrade, toss em. Add extra cooling off the shelf. Add tunnel stiffeners off the shelf, so that the tunnel is strong enough to tow a broken sled out without bending.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Isn't that describing an SKS with an aftermarket rear bumper? And quite a few models are available with 3" and a chaincase.

I have no want for extra weight and cooling on the Pro models for a mountain application. They cool great compared to the previous chassis, and even that still was fine for me. Flatland stuff.

Last edited:

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
^This.
I think most of the "new" gauge features are marketing gimmicks.
Tach, speedo (just because, never look at it unless I'm racing down a road anyway), trip odometers, and water temp, maybe add afr instead of a big screen DVD player and gps.
If I having a good day, it means I can't see the gauge anyway!

Some of the stuff might not be necessary for everyone. I love the GPS for off trail riding, it allows us to go into areas we would not have before because you always know where the trail is. Plus the recording and playback feature is sweet for tuning or just adjusting clutch weights.

PIDD Gauge Info.jpg

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Better shocks and cooling would be a great help! Watching the temp gauge constantly is a pain and the we shocks are we-ak.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Poo will add absolutely nothing that increases net weight on the flagship 800 Pro RMK 155/163 next year - it's an essential RMK's marketing theme. No additional cooler, no beefier tunnel, no heavier shocks, no heavier bumpers. Only if they can pull weight somewhere else, like the can, intake, fuel cell, track, etc., will they add or change anything that's heavier, and it will be minimal and offset. Even if they up the displacement they'll keep weight the same or lower.

I'd venture a guess that they are working on a 399lb dry 800 RMK 155 version, first. 3.5 pitch Camo? Lightweight exhaust? Lighter P-85? All JMHO, of course, but marketing a flick-a-light has sold alotta RMKs. They ain't gonna veer, yet, especially without any real sales competition from ACAT and Y, and just doo pushing them next year. Not saying most of us would agree, but this is a business, first, and unit sales rule.

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Some of the stuff might not be necessary for everyone. I love the GPS for off trail riding, it allows us to go into areas we would not have before because you always know where the trail is. Plus the recording and playback feature is sweet for tuning or just adjusting clutch weights.

The last thing I would trust with my life and safety is a Polaris made GPS. I would still have to carry the Garmin anyway. Diagnostic tools would be helpful though.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Reasonably priced options to the PRO

I like the comments on family friendly. Polaris DOES build some reasonably priced sleds - the Indy line. The problem here in the west is that everybody wants a Pro. I had to special order a couple of Indy Voyagers because no dealer would stock them and then after I got my two the dealer stocked one for this year and told me ' you better hope I sell it' or he would never stock another one. Now we have a great pair of mid level sleds that will go anywhere the 800's will go when out on a family outing. (Obviously they aren't going on any hard core rides) they cost $7,500 each , e start, 155 track, fan cooled 550 motors, SUPER easy to ride. All the novices and older folks in my very large extended family absolutely love them.

Also they are impossible to overheat, very durable and still have enough fun factor to really enjoy. Want a challenge? Drop off into a bowl on a 550 after riding that big 800 all day. All of a sudden you go back to having to really ride instead of just powering out!

My wife and I now save our Pro's for the great powder days and ride the 550's when the snow sucks.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I like the comments on family friendly. Polaris DOES build some reasonably priced sleds - the Indy line. The problem here in the west is that everybody wants a Pro. I had to special order a couple of Indy Voyagers because no dealer would stock them and then after I got my two the dealer stocked one for this year and told me ' you better hope I sell it' or he would never stock another one. Now we have a great pair of mid level sleds that will go anywhere the 800's will go when out on a family outing. (Obviously they aren't going on any hard core rides) they cost $7,500 each , e start, 155 track, fan cooled 550 motors, SUPER easy to ride. All the novices and older folks in my very large extended family absolutely love them.

Also they are impossible to overheat, very durable and still have enough fun factor to really enjoy. Want a challenge? Drop off into a bowl on a 550 after riding that big 800 all day. All of a sudden you go back to having to really ride instead of just powering out!

My wife and I now save our Pro's for the great powder days and ride the 550's when the snow sucks.

Yes sir, a 550 with a 163 is better yet. Here are two of them.

IMG_0509.jpg

pankyy340

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2012
Wisconsin
Offer a snow check 146 x 2.6 pro rmk.

I definitely agree! I live in northern Wisconsin and do a lot of riding in the UP and I'd love to see a 146" PRO. I have a 17 PRO 155 now and 155's are nice for that one or two trips out west every year but they're just a little too much around here. I almost enjoy riding my dads 144 RMK more when I'm riding in WI or the UP. 5 years ago or so I had a 2010 Assault 146" and loved it just because it was a little shorter but still had the premium features.

Premium Features