• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Machine died and won't start, 14 pro.

M
Sep 15, 2014
2014 pro, 400km on it. Just got back from vale, I sprayed it off lightly at the car wash, went to unload it from the truck, as it was idling to warm up it just died.

I tried to start it again and nothing. Checked tether, kill switch, tried and tried, nothing. I unplugged the tether, tried again nothing. Pulled a plug and checked for spark, no spark.

I went in the house, swearing of course, came back out after 10 mins, tried to again and it fired up.

Anyone have any ideas what I can check? It's never done this before and always starts easily. If this thing leaves me stranded on the mountain, I won't be a happy camper.

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 2014 800 and 600 Pro. Both have Polaris tethers and BOTH had issues cutting out and not starting. It turned out that the tether was the issue. I unplugged it and it ran perfect. I believe there has been some issues with the Polaris tether this year. They are replacing both of them.

It sounds like you have already tried unplugging the tether. However, your issue sounds electrical to me. Remove a spark plug, put it in the cap, set the tip on metal and have someone pull the cord. See if you are getting spark. That will tell you if it is an electrical problem.

M
Sep 15, 2014
I checked for spark, there was nothing.

It is an electrical problem. I just have no clue what to even look for.

I unplugged the tether, that didn't help.

Anyone else have this issue?

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
assuming pull start, not electric start right? just curious. obviously you got water in one of the connections while washing, just want to make sure its not electric start before i offer any assumptions.

M
Sep 15, 2014
It is pull start.

I was spraying the riser bag off, so maybe the kill switch, but like a guy above said, this is a snowmobile, you'd think the kill switch would be water proof??

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Even 'waterproof' stuff can get water forced into it. My Yamaha ATV owner's manual says specifically in it not to use a pressure washer from the car wash to spray off the CV joints because that can force water into the case. My bet is you hit something just right to push water into the connection. There's a lot of force behind that water. (And yes I still spray the CV joints at the car wash - but I am a little more careful than I used to be)

M
Sep 15, 2014
^ there we go I am not alone. There must be something water is getting into.

I didn't spray it close and hard either, it was more of a misting off.

To the fellow above that had this issue, have you had any issues like this when sledding?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Had this exact thing happen to me Sunday. Washed off the 600, and she wouldn't fire up to get off the trailer.
Drug it into the storage unit, came back yesterday, fired first pull.
My guess is I hosed the kill switch down. Sprayed some WD-40 in the housing of kill switch and key switch, and shazam, away we went..
Doesn't happen on the mountain much because the snow doesn't run into the switch at 1500 psi like car wash spray is my guess :)

Last edited:
M
Sep 15, 2014
Ok I feel better now. Must be that kill switch. It has an opening where the wires go in, water probably gets in through there. Next time I'll try some wd40 or compressed air.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I killed an engine ECU on a '10 M by just garden hosing it off.

Had 5000 miles of in snow use. Was going to dust it off to be spick and span cause I was picking up the new '11.
Fired it up and ran it out onto the driveway. Misted it with some cleaner and hosed it off. Only got pops when trying to restart. Disconnected and blew out all connectors. Still only pops.
Drug it onto truck, dropped it off and loaded new '11 and told them the story.

Week later I was told they needed to install a computer to get it to run again. Ouch.

Weird eh.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Pressure washers and compressed air are a no-no! They both will force water where its not supposed to be. The electronics on motorsport toys just cant take it. So if you use em, be careful!

Premium Features