• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! Turbo pro drag race clutching!!!

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Hey guys I need some help with getting baseline clutching for my turbo pro, the race is in a couple weeks so I don't have time to test multiple setups due to the time it takes for parts to get shipped here
Specs
Water to air cooled 2860
Competition assault track 155
660ft race gearing is 25-36? I think off the top of my head, with 7t drivers it's geared for Approx 130 mph
Gold primary spring
Gonna run notched drag race super tips in the primary
Secondary dunno what to run
Hoping to run 18lbs boost might try to stretch it to 20 but have my doubts, and yes I know that seriously comprises the engine but it just needs to make 5-10 passes.

Any tips or help greatly appreciated! I wanna go for broke and try give my buddies mcx apex a run for its money!! He's hitting 100-110 mph in 660ft

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I would go with strait 54. This would usually give you a little slow spool up which can be good for traction off the line but if you got notched primary weight your revs are gonna come up before shifting starts so should still spool quick. Prob is im not sure which secodary spring to start with.
Also if you havent already you will need to drill out the front track suspension arm top bolt hole and move it up that 1 inch, plus set your rear track spring a little stiff. Or your gonna damn near flip over at 18-20psi with a 155 and stock suspenson.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I would go with strait 54. This would usually give you a little slow spool up which can be good for traction off the line but if you got notched primary weight your revs are gonna come up before shifting starts so should still spool quick. Prob is im not sure which secodary spring to start with.
Also if you havent already you will need to drill out the front track suspension arm top bolt hole and move it up that 1 inch, plus set your rear track spring a little stiff. Or your gonna damn near flip over at 18-20psi with a 155 and stock suspenson.

No I'm hoping to have 4500rpm or more engagement so that there is some airflow happening for quick response since the 4 stroke turbos are running 2 step/ launch control, going to be sucking up the limiter strap and compression and spring preload dialed up, might still build a coupling setup if need be. I don't think wheeling is gonna be an issue, hard pack groomed run with the start being a bit sugary, my turbo nytro with stock skid and 2 step did not wheelie at all

J

jhillam

May 2, 2010
No contradictions to what's been posted already but Polaris red almond front spring should be considered as well as primary clutch belt spacing. I like smooth engagement so I tuck the heel of the weight under, leave the shift profile, and pull spider shims to get belt clearance to 20 thousandths or so. This must be done with steep helix and soft secondary spring to minimize over rev on launch. Remember you want 200-300 rpm of shift up after initial launch phase to match peak power shift as pipe heats. Also remember that more belt clearance equals more leverage of the weight once sheave contacts belt, equals faster up shift. Less belt clearance equals less leverage of weight and slight delay of up shift that can allow smooth launch and rapid turbo spooling/rpm climb.

Other approach that works with more effort is to notch the weight and "hold" engagement. Guys have to run 50-60 thousandths of belt clearance and often a loose belt with this set up to allow fast up shift of clutches once engagement notch hold breaks, to avoid over rev. I don't like this approach because launch consistency isn't great--but when a hard launch on boost is dialed in with good traction it's really tough to beat and it generally wins.

Guys will sometimes run horizontal scratches in spider towers at engagement point to further escalate engagement rpm without altering other shift characteristics. 60 grit wet dry is used to make the button stick a little at that point.

Last tip is if you don't care about engine beyond the race is to pull the deto sensor from cylinder head and zip tie it to anything nearby and handy. The Polaris deto sensor cuts power before peak power is made with mild deto. Some guys will insulate it with plastic washers to tune its sensitivity but if you're going for max power and have little test equipment pull it and go old school. Run great fuel, as much of it as your spark can hold and boost it to the sky.

Good luck

Premium Features