• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 BMP powder lite can

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Louder than chit I imagine. I have the full velocity and honestly its pretty loud, like to the point I’m thinking about getting rid of it. Sounds good tho, nice barky two stroke sound at WFO, not tinny like SLP. I really think the powderlite would just be dumb.

Bikeman definitely tests their stuff, which I sadly dont think happens with a lot of parts, so thats good. Full velocity fit is perfect, as good as it gets, was the same way on the one I had on my 800.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I went with the BMP pipe/powder lite set up from an SLP/Diamond S Ti quiet set-up. On the first ride out, I asked all of the other guys in the group what they thought on the loudness of this can. They all said it wasn't that bad. If they had said it was obnoxious, it would've been replaced with the full velocity. A comment was made that it wasn't even close to being as obnoxious as a couple of other guys sleds that have ridden with us.

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
Im thinking I should have went with the full velocity. The powder lite on my 800 was ridiculous with a stock pipe. When I added the BMP pipe it was so much quieter that I fell in love. Just curious if I’m gonna hate myself with this can until I get a pipe.

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
Have a jaws trail can that is loud but not too much, added the bikeman pipe and now it's more quiet. But the powder lite can is very loud if you run stock tuned pipe

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Ive ran them both on different sleds. I prefer the Full Velocity, the Powder Lite should IMO be sold as a competition can as of course it is louder. On at least one of my posts I have the DB ratings that I did with video of each on the snow. The Full Velocity sounds great and meets the noise standards, It sounds better than stock and flows better. They do a ridicules amount of flow/dyno testing on their pipes and cans and will not lose power which some do. I of course like the weight savings of each, but cant figure out why some companies would sell a can that "just" fits but looses power. If you ever get the chance to swing by BMP, check out the scrap bin of all the prototypes that failed to meet their standards. Theres a reason they win races. Have you ever rode a 750hp sled...insane. You don't get there by accident. I know their 800 Axys pipe was actually 1 pound heavier than stock but didn't have failures like one of the others was plagued with leaving people stranded. No matter which brand you pick, I would strongly suggest paying a little more if they have ceramic coating. It keeps the heat in the pipe, keeps underwood temps down which means better running, cooler belts and clutches as well.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Which Can

Sorry to hijack the thread but it might be a good place to ask this.... I've been on a '16 Axys with the BD sidekick turbo. I just bought a hold over '18 Axys due to endless issues with the turbo and I've decided (at least for now) that I'm going to just leave it stock except a can and maybe (a big maybe) a pipe. It just doesn't seem that adding any more than a can will yield that much more HP per $ spent and I don't want to have to change the fuel mapping unless I'm going to go big and put a turbo on it. So for now I've decided to just go with a can. I'm not expecting much if any performance gain with a can but I just can't stand the sound of the Axys with the stock can and 10+ pounds of saving will be nice. At the same time, I also DON'T want too Loud of a can. I really like the sound of the MBRP trail can and it seems to be quiet enough but wondering if you guys would recommend the BMP full velocity can over the MBRP.

Also, would love your opinions on if it's really worth adding the pipe as well if I go with the BMP can.

Thanks a ton

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Ive got the Bikeman pipe, y-pipe, tune and full velocity can and on m 17 Axys 800. Got the pipe first, ran great - noticeably more power than stock, had to add a fair amount of weight to the primary clutch. Added the y-pipe and tune later and then the can even later. If I was to do it over again I would just put the pipe on and nothing else. No change in RPM (power) or running quality with the y-pipe, tune or can. Weight loss from the can wasn't noticeable, I'm sure it has never got me a foot higher on the hill. Pipe on the other hand made a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Ive got the Bikeman pipe, y-pipe, tune and full velocity can and on m 17 Axys 800. Got the pipe first, ran great - noticeably more power than stock, had to add a fair amount of weight to the primary clutch. Added the y-pipe and tune later and then the can even later. If I was to do it over again I would just put the pipe on and nothing else. No change in RPM (power) or running quality with the y-pipe, tune or can. Weight loss from the can wasn't noticeable, I'm sure it has never got me a foot higher on the hill. Pipe on the other hand made a noticeable difference.

Thanks a ton for the feedback.

Everything I see about adding the BMP pipe requires a fuel controller (makes sense if it really does add enough more HP). Makes me wonder if I run the pipe without the tuner would I be running up against the red line to closely which could cause durability issues??

I'm definitely replacing the can. So if I replace the Can and the Pipe I'd also have to add a fuel controller and the clutching to go with it. You're talking $1,500 roughly for all of those things to only add 10-12 sea level HP. At the elevation we ride (10k feet) the actual gain in HP is much less than 10 HP. It's hard to justify all that cost and that is why I lean towards just doing a Can if I'm not going to turbo.

The low boost turbo kits add roughly 60% more HP over stock at elevation where the stage 1-2 kits add only about 10% more HP at elevation.

Wondering if I'm missing something here. I've had a sled with the RKTK head and and drop in kit which required a fuel box. It was better than stock but in the end the relatively small gain in HP didn't justify the cost.

Last edited:
Premium Features