• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has replaced the rear skid float shock with an aftermarket, spring shock?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I am replacing my rear skid float shock with an aftermarket shock. I cannot get the float to perform like I want it to with my overweight *** on the sled. I'd like to try replacing JUST the rear shock and have the front oem valved/sprung for my weight. Opinions? Anyone tried this?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I got one of Jake's first stand alone rear shocks and couldn't be happier. Just pull the trigger with him and don't look back:face-icon-small-coo

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
welllllll, i am having him put his triple rate springs on the front oem zero-pros, and then have them correctly valved. i am quite sure this will satisfy my tastes.

on the rear i am for surely getting his rear skid shock, but i am thinking about having him just revalve (and re-spring if necessary) the oem front skid shock (im 275 lbs dry....probably pushing 300 geared up). everyone always complains about the rear float, but not so much about the oem front fox shock. so i dont know if id be wasting money by having him set it up for my weight vs. just buying both rear raptors or not.... i was looking for some feedback from someone that only replaced the rear. and even better.....someone that replaced the rear first, then decided to do both. is it "worth" $500 more?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I replaced the rear/rear and ski shocks together and didn't touch the front track shock. I had intended to purchase the front track shock this year but doubt I will do so until I think that shock is worn out. I am not saying you wouldn't see improvement by replacing the front track shock but I was so pleased with the improvements with the other three that I decided to keep the money in my pocket for other improvements(2.6 track).

I hope this helps and remember you can always buy the rear now and do the front later if you don't think you gained enough.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Doing 3 and not 4 is like heading into hunting camp with 3 brand new 10 ply goodyear mtr's and one highway tread dunlop with a passenger rating. Or would you rather go with 4 new tires.
I choose 4.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
welllllll, i am having him put his triple rate springs on the front oem zero-pros, and then have them correctly valved. i am quite sure this will satisfy my tastes.

on the rear i am for surely getting his rear skid shock, but i am thinking about having him just revalve (and re-spring if necessary) the oem front skid shock (im 275 lbs dry....probably pushing 300 geared up). everyone always complains about the rear float, but not so much about the oem front fox shock. so i dont know if id be wasting money by having him set it up for my weight vs. just buying both rear raptors or not.... i was looking for some feedback from someone that only replaced the rear. and even better.....someone that replaced the rear first, then decided to do both. is it "worth" $500 more?

What is the cost difference? It may be better go with the set for a few more bucks. I went with both rear shocks and never looked back. Jake designed them to work together to get the most out of the suspension. I got to ride his 2011 Cat with them on the rear and it sold me. IMO for a few hundred I would change them both. You can get that back by selling your OEM shocks. If you have the coin, do the K MOD conversion with Raptors. It will change your sled into a snow eating machine.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
on the rear/front, its roughly $60 for the service work and revalve. $60 more if he uses a new spring. compare that to $525 for a new raptor

the ski shocks are the same price for service, springs, and new raptors.

not going to sell the stock shocks. when i trade up to a new sled, you dont get a damn thing for selling it with aftermarket shocks compared to the stock ones. but if i remove the aftermarket shocks and sell them on the forums, you can get a good part of your investment back

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
If money is not an object then buying both rear shocks is clearly going to perform better. I was only sharing what I knew from experience.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
If money is not an object then buying both rear shocks is clearly going to perform better. I was only sharing what I knew from experience.

And I thank you for your info. Obviously money is an object for most people. Had I not just bought a new sled trailer, I would get all the shocks no questions asked. Or maybe a whole new sled (but then I still wouldn't have shocks set up for my big arse lol). It's a crap shoot either way you look at it. I'm the kind of guy that likes a lot of average things rather than one or two things that are the best

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
And I thank you for your info. Obviously money is an object for most people. Had I not just bought a new sled trailer, I would get all the shocks no questions asked. Or maybe a whole new sled (but then I still wouldn't have shocks set up for my big arse lol). It's a crap shoot either way you look at it. I'm the kind of guy that likes a lot of average things rather than one or two things that are the best

Well your screwed then, Raptors are far from "Average" , lol.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I put a raptor on the rear only just because i hate how the float sags the raptor is better.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
I kept both fox floats under mine and had a gentleman in Rigby Idaho at Gas Shock Repair do both of my fox floats. They haven't skipped a beat in 800 miles. He custom valved them to my weight and I weigh about 230lbs and I am very pleased with his work. Don't go to the coil. Try fixing you floats, it cost me $240 for both shox.

What about overall ride and performance?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I kept both fox floats under mine and had a gentleman in Rigby Idaho at Gas Shock Repair do both of my fox floats. They haven't skipped a beat in 800 miles. He custom valved them to my weight and I weigh about 230lbs and I am very pleased with his work. Don't go to the coil. Try fixing you floats, it cost me $240 for both shox.

and you have no idea the difference, even if you ask Andy he will tell you the difference. I think you are also referring to the M series which where horribly valved. I had mine done by holz once and by Andy on another sled, both made a huge differnce but the PC was better than either valve on a M stock. The Raptors are far more superior.
If you want better then I agree call Andy at GSR or any other shock company, but if you want the best call Jake with Raptors.

P

pierre-hugues

Jan 12, 2008
Gatineau,Quebec
I have std 08m8, first I changed front for fox evel r and the year after I changed the back for z-broz with valving ajust. If I was to do it again I would go for Z-broz all around or Raptors that I never tried but heard alot of good... For my next sled, I will probably buy an other standard model and first mod will be to change 4 shock from the start. I am done with air shock did not have any probleme whit the fox evol R and they run fairly good and are light but I think that a good spring shock is beter exept for weight...

Premium Features