• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

In Oregon snowmobiling from hotel ??

J
Sep 9, 2016
The only place I've found so far that I can unload the sleds in the parking lot right when we get there and the groomed trail to take us to play passes against the hotel is in Sumpter at the depot inn. Now I'm NOT talking about $270 a night cabins, just $75-95 a night hotel.
there's lots of places where we can take a very short 10-20 min. drive from the hotel, but riding straight from the hotel is so much more convenient for ME (the driver, unloader, loader, ect.ect.ect.)
I gave up the place I know, you have one ? (In Oregon?) :eyebrows:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Since we are sharing secrets here;) Diamond Lake Lodge is a place you can unload right in the parking lot and even ride around in it if you want to. Park your truck and not touch it until the trip home. Park your sled right out side your motel/cabin door. Think the rooms are about $100 a night. Everything is accessable right there motel rooms, cabins, café, bar, trails, fuel, ice fishing. They have a pizza place you can't drive to you have to sled that is about 15 minutes from the lodge. They run the pow killing machines (groomers) daily. Miles of groomed, Crater Lake, Mt Bailey, Dog Prairie, Garwood, Skookum. Absolutely beautiful up there, the views of MT Thielsen are picturesque. They have a snowmobile trail you can take that goes right to the rim of Crater Lake.

Last edited:
J
Sep 9, 2016
Since we are sharing secrets here;) Diamond Lake Lodge is a place you can unload right in the parking lot and even ride around in it if you want to. Park your truck and not touch it until the trip home. Park your sled right out side your motel/cabin door. Think the rooms are about $100 a night. Everything is accessable right there motel rooms, cabins, café, bar, trails, fuel, ice fishing. They have a pizza place you can't drive to you have to sled that is about 15 minutes from the lodge. They run the pow killing machines (groomers) daily. Miles of groomed, Crater Lake, Mt Bailey, Dog Prairie, Garwood, Skookum. Absolutely beautiful up there, the views of MT Thielsen are picturesque. They have a snowmobile trail you can take that goes right to the rim of Crater Lake.
Booked for the next three nights! Coming with wife and trail riding friends and will be always looking for places to play close to the trail.
love to break away from the balls & chains for a couple hours of gettin stuck.
thank you again 89sandman
:hungry: ok one more secret - any good local food :eyebrows:

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
There are no towns anywhere near the lodge. They have the Thielsen Room for your upper crust;) dining up stairs. They have the cafe' downstairs and a little nicer dining area just behind that, kind of a sports bar kind of thing. You can also order food in the bar and they will bring it up to you. Food there is not bad at all, I'm a big fan of the Bailey burger, but they have stuff from burgers to prime rib. Not to forget the pizza place, a big fav of my grandsons:) So they have a little of everything, just depends on your mood...

We are headed south for the weekend or would come up and show you the sights and maybe a stuck or 2:smow:

Last edited:
J
Sep 9, 2016
^^^ variety of food is good. I'll grab a map when we get there and wing it as always. Of course I'd love to plan ahead, but the people I seem to travel with don't. Again lots of friends to go sledding, just organization, getting everyone on the same page.
I'll try and post pictures.

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
Willamette Pass Inn

Willamette Pass Inn located adjacent to Manley's in Crescent Lake Junction offers ride in/ride out options from both their Inn and the Chalets. We've never stayed there but did stop by and talk with the owners about their winter lodging options and they seemed to be very nice.

We are planning a snow weekend at Diamond Lake for later this Spring. Looking forward to seeing what all you find in your visit. I will be sure to put a shout out once we have it booked to see about trying to catch up with the locals... :eyebrows:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
You'll of course want to do the Crater Lake trail. If you keep going past the Crater Lake turn off headed towards Summit Rock the trees open up and you can play around on either side of the road. A cruise around the lake itself is nice, killer views of MT. Thielsen on the back side. Just a couple hundred yards after you turn on the Dog Prarie road there is a pretty good sized field to play in and then out a few miles is a big meadow. On a nice sunny day a ride up to the top of Mt. Bailey is good, view from up there is pretty unreal. There is a little play area up by the Hilltop Shop where the tube slide is. At the opposite end of the lake from where the lodge is there is a snowpark, trees are pretty open there to play around in.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Ride From Hotel

With all the snow in Bend you could ride from the Inn of the Seventh Mountain or the Entrada Motel that is a little closer to town. The trail goes up to the Wanoga Snow Park.

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
With all the snow in Bend you could ride from the Inn of the Seventh Mountain or the Entrada Motel that is a little closer to town. The trail goes up to the Wanoga Snow Park.

I think you could get in & out of the Inn at 7th Mountain with the snow we have this year in Central Oregon. In fact, the Trail Map shows Trail 1 (heading east out of the Wanoga sno-park) is listed on the map as going to the 7th Mountain Resort. I've never seen the groomer down that far, but it would be pretty easy to find your way down through the mountain bike trails right to the Inn.

On the other hand, I think you would be pushing your luck now days trying to ride in or out of the Entrada Lodge... There are way too many tree huggers using the public land on the corner between the Entrada Lodge and the Inn for hiking and dog walking. They would freak out if you rode the sleds through there... but it would be a LOT of fun!

J
Sep 9, 2016
Well we were able to book cabin 28 upstairs for Wednesday Thursday Friday. We were able to get my wife's military discount during the week on the Wednesday Thursday and take the room from 229 down to 162 which I thought was a pretty good deal. We have the cabin right next to the big huge thousand-dollar cabin so we had the same view but for much less overlooking the lake it was awesome! The first day when we finally got to group together to leave at about 3 o'clock? Oh my God! We started on the trail towards the Crater Lake Rim and only then almost made it there but just got too dark and too foggy. So the next day at 3 o'clock again just my buddy and I went up the mount Bailey trail to the top and that was completely awesome I've never been on a groom trail that steep before. Highly highly recommend that one. There was some ice Fishers downstairs and they're out on the lake and a couple different pods. The entire Lake was open for snowmobiling it was completely sunny on Friday. I put on my sunglasses my long sleeve shirt in my riding pants and took off out onto the lake in the Sun in the middle of Diamond Lake throw it up on one ski standing up then just do one mile long circle on one ski standing up in the complete Sunshine getting it. It was just completely surreal and awesome. One of the best times snowmobile so far.. thank you 89sandman for your insight ! Must come back. 20170127_173323.jpg

20170127_172045-1.jpg

20170127_151935.jpg

20170127_171937-1.jpg

20170127_143651.jpg

20170127_143706-1.jpg

20170127_151907-1.jpg

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
Diamond Lake

Thanks for the update! It looks like you guys had a great time and picked a good weekend with the sunny weather.

We had a fun weekend in Bandon and enjoyed nice WARM coastal weather and no snow! Wow, it was kinda nice to not have to move snow around at the house for a couple days. And now were back to the grind stone...:juggle:

The wife has agreed to booking a place at Diamond Lake in February. Hoping for more snow between now and then... And then sun!:eyebrows:

Premium Features