• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which antifreeze?

I
Sep 29, 2008
Idaho Falls Idaho
Hey I had no luck searching and I need to know what antifreeze is best to use in our sleds and what ratio, I am assuming 50/50? I just did the rad delete and what to know what to put in it.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
50/50 is what I was told to use.

Heres a trick. Drive your sled most of the way up your trailer ramp, so the front end is up alot higher than the azz end.....start it up and run it a while......you'll see you coolant in the bottle start to move around when the t-stat opens around 122*......let it run a while, even leaning it to one side, then the other, this will allow any air bubbles in the heat exchanger in the rear to work their way forward and burp out in the bottle. if you had a bubble, the coolant level will suddenly drop on the bottle. if so, just fill back up.

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Just use a good quality brand and buy the premixed stuff . I used Engine ice last year and @ like 4 x the cost the results where not worth the expense .Maybe a couple degrees cooler MAYBE .

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Just use a good quality brand and buy the premixed stuff . I used Engine ice last year and @ like 4 x the cost the results where not worth the expense .Maybe a couple degrees cooler MAYBE .

DITTO...i use Engine Ice in my dirtbike and my streetbikes...its good stuff, but not worth the minimal temps and 4x the price..

I use Peak Antifreeze thats premixed..1 Gallon=$8

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hey I had no luck searching and I need to know what antifreeze is best to use in our sleds and what ratio, I am assuming 50/50? I just did the rad delete and what to know what to put in it.

go buy a gallon of cheap pre-mixed 50/50 from walmart.

works great :)

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Usually try to use a low silicate aluminum compatible type like Toyota (red) Honda (blue) Audi or Dex coolant. It all mixes if you need it to, a "long life" type is optimal.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I've used Prestone 50/50 in all my toys (and rigs too), never had a problem, it's about $7 a gallon.

2112 gave ya some good advice, the only thing I would add would be to crack the bleed screw on the thermostat housing for a bit, that will further aid in getting the last of the air out of the system quickly, when it stops foaming and just turns to a steady water leak, tighten her up and your good to go.:beer;

Premium Features