• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rideable wheel kits?

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I made a wheel kit with some brackets and a 5/8" wheel barrow axle rod. It looks very similar to the snowaxles setup but their axle looks to have a 3/4" axle with 5/8 ends. My setup worked just fine for loading and unloading until we needed to ride on a gravel road for about a mile and I bent the $h!t out of the 5/8" rod putting along in 1st gear!

Anyways does anyone have any experience with a wheel kit that can take a beating of a gravel road with switchbacks?

G
Try 5/8 stainless shaft if your happy with everything else, i have a yeti wheel kit and pleased with it so far except getting it off sometimes, seems to tight of tolerance between shaft and bearing,and pesky spacer inside ,especially from a heated shop to the unload site in colder temperatures, havent tried on the road but this spring it will happen.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
The (expensive) timbersled wheel kit will stand up to being riden on. You are paying alot for those all terrain skate board wheels, but it works. Keep the tires aired up.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Try 5/8 stainless shaft if your happy with everything else

Do you have an online source for grade 8, 5/8" stainless steel threaded rod? I started out with a standard 5/8" rod that I got at the hardware store, but it bent just running the bike up the ramp. For the last few weeks, I've been running a 5/8" grade 8 threaded rod axle, but it's not stainless so it's getting a lot of surface rust. It hasn't bent yet, though.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I had my home made one last year and rode it once, worked ok, now I have a Yeti one, I don't think I'd ride it too far. As noted the spacer gets in the way of the wheel so I pulled the spacer out. Now I'm not sure how the rim would hold up to riding. We sometimes have some road to deal with between patches of snow and I just ride the ski...kind of sucks, but I would have to carry and put the wheels on and off...not happening.

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
Yeah no way i would carry wheels. It seems fine for short distances on the ski going at a snails pace. I just picked up a 4340 steel rod from the local metal supply store. We will see how it holds up this weekend on the same gravel road

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
So, how did you make it. Did you tap the end of it? Drill it and cotter pin with a washer? Did you groove it for the spindle hangers? Pics?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
If you have to ride some road, use the wheel that came on the bike and pack the ski/spindle. When you get to the snow, stash the wheel and pick up on the way out.

Premium Features