• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grand Lake area or Thunder Mountain Lodge

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Haven't been to Grand Lakes but the Thunder Mountain Lodge is a Great spot!
Great Hosts, Great lodging and Awesome terrain right out your cabin door step.
Ride all Day and come back to the lodge and Roscoes restaurant where you'll find amazing food and a fully stocked bar.
The staff at both the lodge and restaurant make you feel right at home and will make sure your stay is well worth the trip.
The riding alone is enough to make it all worth while but the restaurant and lodge just takes it to the next level of Good Times!

I

itsallgood

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs
Only been there a couple times. Can't say theres any highmarking to speak of but if theres enough powder, the fields are awsome for boondocking. The town is too cool, you can close the bars on ur sled sled & ride ride home @ dawn. Its like the wild wild west racing down main street in the middle of the night.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Haven't been anywhere except TML, but I feel I have no need to. As said above, ride from your cabin door and you have access to many varieties of terrain. Lodge is a great place to enjoy, food at Roscoe's (the restaurant) is excellent, and the staff is more than accommodating. And from what I have seen, the pricing compares nicely to other areas.

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
I may be biased as I own TML but give me a call and we will make sure you find everything you are looking for. I can even put you in touch with guys from your area in Chicago you can talk to about the lodge and areas to ride. Grand Lake and TML are very different areas. You won't be disappointed here. Thanks, Mark

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
Switch Back,

I have stayed at both locations and had a great time at both. Accomadations at both locations were comparable but a little more expensive at Grand Lake.

Riding was much better at Grand Mesa, in my humble opinion. Grand Mesa was more of a boondockers heaven, miles of varying terrain for all levels of experience, mostly fresh powder everyday we were there. Barely saw another track in the snow.

Grand Lake is also ok but is mostly built around a system of trails accessed by everyone, so, alot more folks. You don't have the multitude of open fields and inclines to yourself, like you do at Grand Mesa.

Nightlife; at Grand Mesa it is simply you and your riding friends. If you stay at TML you grab dinner in the lodge, have an adult beverage at the bar, and then perhaps sit next to the fire for a bit and then hit the rack to get ready for another day of great riding. At Grand Lake, you can ride into town (if the snow copoperates) where you have multiple fine eateries and a couple of different places to have an adult beverage; nice little town that truly accomadates the sledders visiting.

Accomadations; TML is located off the beaten path a bit. The owner who is a fine person and works really hard to make sure his guests are comfortable and have everything they need to enjoy they stay, is also working hard on completely redoing his accomadations/cabins. The ones that have been finished are looking very nice. You would have to contact them to see where all that effort is at. In grand Lake, we rented a house with a few other folks. You really can't compare the two but in Grand Lake you definitely have a whole host of options.

It all depends on what you want out of your trip. There are rentals at both locations if needed. Both locations can be "ride out" depending on the snow; I would say Grand Mesa for sure at that time of the year, not sure about Grand Lake.

Bottom line, if I had my choice, I would go with Grand Mesa for spectacular riding. I would also suggest TML for my destination. Folks who go there are a bit more serious about riding instead of anticipation of a wild night life, although, don't get me wrong, the crowd at TML ride hard and PLAY hard.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Chaos

Last edited:
Chaos summed it up well.
If you and the group are solely focused on riding, then TML would likely be better. If this is your first trip out west, or you have a mixed group that wants more options of activities, and has good riding, then GL has a lot to offer. lemme know if you have specific questions about GL, as I spend a lot of time there.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
All around, I think TML would be the better sledding experience, but it does depend on what you're looking for. GL does have more nightlife and non-sledding things to do, and it is a premier destination for sledding. Both areas have large trail systems, so you can't go wrong with either, if Trail riding is your thing. Snow quality would typically go to GM but last year the high country around GL got hammered. Just depends. GL does'nt have near the meadow riding and boondocking as the GM, but it has the extreme riding terrain segment and huge scenery. Once you climb a few thousand feet above the trail system you get into some pretty big mountains with big climbs and avy terrain to match. This isn't for newbs and even most experienced sledders don't want anything to do with it. A pretty safe area to ride in the spring, but mid-winter it can be freaky. If it doesn't scare the heck out of you, then you may enjoy it. Not that GM doesn't have some extreme terrain to challange, just isn't known for it.

DSCF5160Large.jpg

DSCF5123Large-1.jpg

DSCF5118Large.jpg

Last edited:

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado
You won't be dissapointed with the TML. AAAA++++ for Mark and Billy for their great customer service. The snow and terrain aren't too bad either.
mark:face-icon-small-hap

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
TML is the place. Bushy is right about GL. The Hills are sick but they do make widows every year. And I mean every year. Not a chance I'd take.
The avy danger up there is insane and never really gets safe.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Thunder Mountain Lodge is the best sledding destination in Colorado in my opinion. Been all over the state riding, from Wolf Creek to Rabbit Ears. There is not a better place to go. Mark and Billy will take great care of you and the riding, well, it does not get better.

RyanSidehillclimb.jpg

IMG_207611.jpg

KleboldPlexihipback.jpg

DSC01132crop.jpg

Last edited:

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
The riding group we have seems to be stuck on G-Lake. We have been riding there for over 20 years and had very good results. We usually make 3 to 4 trips out there a year and have seen mixed snow conditions on every trip. We have met up with very friendly people and have found all of the people and bussiness's very helpful. As far as the expenses go we have been happy also. You can ride your sled anywhere you want to go. The trails are easy to navigate with lots of variety. Now we've never rode TM and I can say it is on our list of places to go ride. I'm sure both places will be good and you'll have a great time at either >>>>.

Premium Features