• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Am I Stupid?

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
This post may be a little premature - but I have been thinking about this all day. I am in the process of putting a narrow front end on my 2010 HCR using stock Arctic Cat parts. Last night I got some parts and decided to put the shorter A-arms on and connect up the spindles/skis and shorter tie rods (I'm still waiting for the modified shocks to arrive). My hands were greasy from greasing up the bushings/bolts/axels so I decided to give the front end a shot of grease with the old grease gun since I was there. I greased the spindles and hit the zerk fittings up in the shock tower - couple of pumps each till grease started to spurt out. I then went in and got cleaned up. Shortly after getting cleaned up I went to turn the ski a bit (the front end is off the ground) and it was a bear to turn... Same hard steering by turning the bars...

Anyone ever seen this before or have an idea how to fix it?? Just to be clear - no, I haven't checked under the ski to make sure a tool isn't binding the damn thing up - which is completely possible but not likely. Question - can you over grease or can it get "vapor" locked?

No - I did not have this problem before...

Thanks!!

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
lol. we all have to laugh at our selves some times, it just makes it easier! last night I had to take my tank back off bc I forgot to put the wiring under it. :face-icon-small-blu

Whimp

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2012
Laurel Montana
you should of left the wiring out from under the tank that is actually a good mistake..... I ve had mine short out under there before... I run it in front of the tank now by the coils..... I find it amazing how I can do such stupid things sometimes!!! Lol

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
Leadfoot is right - it was related to the arms hanging lower than what they normally would be if the shock was installed. I'm not entirely sure why it binds up, I think it has to do with a change in the geometry by having the arms hang low. I know this - I'm not going to overthink it - it's the casue of the problem, don't care why - and I know how to fix it - - -put the shock in.

Thanks for all the help and I am grateful for the dose humility... Now I just need snow and the right frame of mind to figgure out the rear suspension problem...

For those that want to take a crack at it... sled has more ski pressure than I would like. It has a k-mod rear suspension (conversion kit) - which is set up according to instructions - which I verified. The preload on the front track shock was increased to 1.25 inches. I also installed the new billet coupling block wich decreases the amount of coupling to 15% (I think) on the lowest setting. I'm waiting to ride to see the results..

My goal with the rear is to have a playful front end in the trees but to keep the skis coming over backwards when she get's spooled up (12 lbs of boost will do that to you)

LET IT SNOW

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The KMOD drops the suspension in the rear way down, it does increase ski pressure a little on the flat or hard pack snow, just adjust it if you can, if it still bothers you, you can put in a limiting rode that stop the suspension from dropping to far down and causing ski pressure, so you will get a little more instant lift on the skis and less pressure but once the skis come up that little bit more the will stop and everything acts the same.
I never bothered with that but I ran mine pretty loose on the rear, because of the way the skid works you can point the skis up and still keep control. The skid keeps you moving in the direction you want rather than jumping all over the place, You will Love it.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
this is what Kevin told me- I have same setup

Twisted turbo running 10psi on straight avgas, if I want a plush ride up the trail set coupler to 1, if I want a playful front end up the MTN set it at 2, if i'm climbing something steep set at 3, if i'm climbing super big and steep and want skis planted set at 4, my valving is at a 3- big boy turbo valving. i'm 6'1'-- 240 without gear

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
YEP

Twisted turbo running 10psi on straight avgas, if I want a plush ride up the trail set coupler to 1, if I want a playful front end up the MTN set it at 2, if i'm climbing something steep set at 3, if i'm climbing super big and steep and want skis planted set at 4, my valving is at a 3- big boy turbo valving. i'm 6'1'-- 240 without gear

Yep, that's what Kevin told me too..

Last year was the first test of the K-mod. Snow was marginal the first ride and excessive the second. Had way to much ski pressure - couldn't get the front to feel light and playful at any time. I pulled the skid and made some adjustments to ensure 12.75 inches from floor to front arm mounts. I also increased the front shock pre load from .25 inches to a little over an inch. Hope this gets the front lighter - otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do.

Kevin has been great to work with. All I need now for futher adjusting is the ability to test out the effect of the changes. I hear that the Kmods are the shiz-nit, but until I get it dialed in, it's not...

NOW SNOW!

Premium Features