• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 RMK loosing oil

A
Dec 11, 2007
One of my back up sleds (1999 RMK 600 - 5,800 miles) for family and friends has not been ridden since December 2006. I am taking it out this weekend and noticed the oil reservoir is empty all the way down to the top of the pick up hose, so it appears all the oil drained out the hose rather than a leak in the reservior tank. We fill it before every ride, so it should have been over half full after the last ride. There is a little oil below the reservior tank, but who hasn't spilled a little before? I checked the filter and hose and both appear to be okay. Is it possible after 14 months in storage it leaked out through the pump? Any other thoughts?

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
My 99 700 was leaking out of the reservoir at the fitting when I bought it. They have a piss poor design and I am surprised they were not recalled. Fitting in a rubber grommet pushed into the tank. I even bought a new fitting and it still leaked, so I cleaned it up real good and siliconed it up. Seems to be holding fine.

A
Dec 11, 2007
That was my thought too, but since the oil level was still to the top of the hose I am not so sure. I am thinking if the grommet was leaking it would have leaked down to that level. I cleaned it up under there and put a little oil in the tank, we will see what happens.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
If it was 1/2 full and leaked it out of the hose or something that is about a quart of oil so it would have made a huge azz mess under the machine where ever you had it stored.

Yes, it can slowly leak through the pump into the motor, but that much, again would fill the cases and leak into the pipe. I just pulled an 800 big block apart that had about 1/2 cup of oil in one side that had leaked in there since last April.

If the cylinder/case is full of oil you won't be able to start it either.

sled_guy

Premium Features