• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summitboy's CR500 Build

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yes that is a huge problem on the 500. I am going to use a Tsubaki half link in my chain if i want to use the 17. The problem with using the 16 on jackshaft is it really cuts down on the more useable ratios that i believe the CR500 needs. I will see how it looks when i put it together. I know MtnDoo used this on his 500. Fingers crossed.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes that is a huge problem on the 500. I am going to use a Tsubaki half link in my chain if i want to use the 17. The problem with using the 16 on jackshaft is it really cuts down on the more useable ratios that i believe the CR500 needs. I will see how it looks when i put it together. I know MtnDoo used this on his 500. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I used the 14/17 with a half link. It worked, but the CR could be slightly different? Cross your fingers....

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The half link will work on the CR. I just hope it is strong LOL ! More pics to follow !

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Cr500 running well?

How's the testing on the bike coming? Especially the Smartcarb. I'm still waiting on my cast 38mm, checking the mail religiously and beat down day after day. I just put a Rekluse z-start pro in the other night and rode it yesterday and just like when I put it on my Ktm 525 it blew me away how much I love it. It especially shines on the snow, cuts down on restarts by a ton and makes it so you never even have to think about the clutch. I'm thinking about pulsing the smartcarb if it ever shows up, but I'm hoping to hear more from Adam Millar before I jump on the pulse train. I don't want to end up with a tuning nightmare. I just want to ride, but it would be fun to shame some of my two ski friends. Hoping to never look back longingly at my 4-stroke 525, she's treated me right, but the 2-stroke smoke is irresistible. I've enjoyed your posts and look forward to hearing how she runs.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smarty seems to work very well this far. Idle is smooth and power is instant. The adjuster is a pile but has since been redesigned. Once its set it set. I was originally on the list for a cast and that seems like a long time ago. Once they are out it will just be a bad memory lol. It is worth it !

I was recently thinking about the Rekluse for the kickstart reason. Ill have to look into it. I run a 250 clutch setup in mine so not quite sure which kit a guy would run. Prob the 250.

The pulse idea is very cool. Adam will have it figured but he is also waiting for another carb from APT. I think he was hoping to have this all figured out by winter but with all the delays from APT prob will be next spring.

Hopefully the rest of my part show soon. I want my bike finished LOL. Ill have more pics once it is complete.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The M5 CR500 Intake

M5 and I finished up the intake today. Big thanks to M5 for helping me with this masterpiece ! This is the same intake M5 ran on his 450 last year. His carbed bike ran flawless. Should let the Millar mill breath. Enjoy

2nursig.jpg

33kvt4k.jpg

30w3415.jpg

z4dx5.jpg

339kg10.jpg

200fucp.jpg

24blzte.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey Chris, it looks like the intake diameter expands to the carb inlet? Or is the intake boot after the aluminum intake original?

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
That's all fabbed. It goes from filter (4"x8") into 3" pipe to 5" cone which mates to the original rubber boot. That filter will flow more than enough air. My 300hp 1L turbo has a smaller filter and pipe with no air issues. Come to think of it it's almost the same size tube that feeds my 6.6L Duramax lol.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Ya, That filter is a great one, way more than enough. I meant the coupler from the filter to the OEM boot. That is a great idea. What diameter is that short straight piece? 3" ??

Never mind, I see you said it is a 3" di coupler. Slick, should work well!!! Looks killer

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well the CR is complete and ready to ride. Big thanks to M5, MtnDoo, Corey at ATP Smartcarb and Adam Millar who builds amazing 500's. Thanks for all the help and awesome support since the project started on wheels.

Hope to see you on the snow !

Snowbike-1.jpg

Snowbike-2.jpg

Snowbike-3.jpg

Snowbike-4.jpg

Snowbike-5.jpg

M

MDiver

Nov 1, 2009
Look Great! I've been without a sled for the past 2 years. I miss it, but I've been feeding my two-wheel habit instead. I started lurking the forums again and found this thread. Makes me want one - Bad! Do you guys still run an actual sled or do you spend most of your time on a snowbike? How do group rides go with a mix of bikes/sleds. I may have to take the plunge.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Only seen the sand so far. I might never ride it in the sand again though lol. Its gonna get thrashed on the snow. It can only stay pretty for so long. Built to ride !

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thought id update some changes to the 500. I decided to try the Pulse Intake from Ron Mccord and shelve the Smarty for a while. After reading about it and talking with Ron Mccord, Adam Millar and a few other Pulse converts i ordered one up and installed. It actually fits very nice on the steel frame and took some fitting and adjusting especially with my heater. The carb i decided on was the short PWK from a YZ250. Its a little shorter than the standard 38mm PWK and gains me a 1/2". I wanted to retain the stock airbox and filter location. With the heater installed it fits perfect ! Last season i ran a custom Pod filter setup which worked well but i wanted to get back to simple.

I tried to make the Avid fit the steel frame and due to it being square it would only fit on a diagonal (both Smarty and PWK, steel frame) Also with the YZ carb i found the Avid heater would not slide on all the way at the bottom where the bowl sticks out. It fits much better on the standard PWK.

I decided to machine my own carb heater on M5's lathe. It turned out sweet and fits the steel frame most excellent. I then tapped the back of the CR500 cyl for a nice short run to the heater with a valve. We also tapped the bottom left rad for a nice 90 degree fitting. I will most likely put another valve in the return line. These heaters get hot. I cant see carb ice forming with his setup. I bet running the valve half open will work well.

I will post my findings with the Pulse after i get a good solid few rides. My initial thoughts are it starts first kick, idles smooth, and there is less vibration. Pretty stoked to try it out with some real carb heat !

I plan on running my big Eline stator once again. It works well and is very robust. I plan on running grip heaters, Cyclops Solstice HID, GPS powered by CR. I learned a lot about what works and what doesn't when it comes to the stator and wiring accs.

Here are a few pics :

TS%207.jpg

TS%206.jpg

TS%204.jpg

TS%201.jpg

TS%202.jpg

TS%205.jpg

TS%203.jpg

Premium Features