• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RX-1 Stage One - Blowing off the air Box

A
Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
Rode yesterday for first ride. 03 Rx-1, stage one tubo, blew off the airbox repeatedly even after reclamping and zip-tieing the box to the carbs. Anyone else had a fix for this? Thanks

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
It is a Bender stage one kit without an innercooler so he is correct in saying it is an air box, however it would be the same problem as an innercooler blowing off.

It happens when you are under full boost and let off the throttle quickly.

The space is pretty tight and on the carb side the surface is smooth so it is hard to get the rubber to really bite and hold. The clamps are not real big but they are about as wide as will fit in the space.

We were wondering aout some additional way to hold the air box on, maybe weld some small loops and zip tie the box to the carborator heater tube that runs between each carb.

T

Twisted Boost

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Apple Capitol, Wa
It is a Bender stage one kit without an innercooler so he is correct in saying it is an air box, however it would be the same problem as an innercooler blowing off.

It happens when you are under full boost and let off the throttle quickly.

The space is pretty tight and on the carb side the surface is smooth so it is hard to get the rubber to really bite and hold. The clamps are not real big but they are about as wide as will fit in the space.

We were wondering aout some additional way to hold the air box on, maybe weld some small loops and zip tie the box to the carborator heater tube that runs between each carb.

Same thing was happening with mine last year:mad: so I put a good blow off valve in and changed the hose from the innercooler (MY HAS THE INNERCOOLER) to the carbs new clamps that will bite and :light: and it works no more coming off..:) Be careful blowing that off as it could take a bearing out in the turbo from over spinning it.:eek: Good Luck..

M
Jan 14, 2004
If yours still has the chump black rubber connectors between the carbs and airbox replace them with some good quality silicon ones and use T-bolts instead of hose clamps. My buddies did the same thing and this fixed it. The rubber stuff gets stretched hardens and gets slippery over time.

M5

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Make sure everything is very CLEAN and DRY. Any oil on the silicone, carbs, or airbox/intercooler will pop off no matter what type of clamps you have. Another thing you might want to do is use a little dab of superglue on the silicone.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Clean the surfaces really good with carb cleaner. Spray some hairspray on both surfaces and let it dry a little. Change out the stock clamps and everything should stay together.

Premium Features