• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive oil change

W
Sep 8, 2015
I want to pull the diamond drive on a new to me m7 2005. I'd like to inspect it and change oil. Every time I search it fire cats just come up. What tools do I need to pull it? How long would it take? At the very least what's the easiest way to Change the oil without taking the DD out? It like to remove it tho if I have the time. I appreciate the help so far here

U
Oct 26, 2014
Minnesota
To change the Act Drive oil there is a plug on the inside of the tunnel in order to drain/fill the case. Here is a link to the 2005 Service manual. Section 8, starting with page 8-49 shows the Act Diamond Drive schematic. Hope this helps!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
yeha... no need to pull it at all unless you're worried about bearings, and even then you can just pull the cover & inspect it on the sled... your back might be a bit grouchy about it, but way easier!

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
What oil options?

Has it ever been decided what options for changing DD oil are out there? I've read the old posts and have heard everything from ATF fluid to tractor hydraulic fluid to synthetic 80-90 WT gear oil. I would think that those are pretty extreme differences in viscosity. Others say to be sure to use only Arctic Cat oil or Diamond Drive oil or that Amsoil has a replacement and they are the ones that make the oil for Arctic Cat?? Very confusing. I wish someone could chime in and let us know if any tests have been done on the Arctic Cat DD oil and what viscosity it is and what alternatives are out there. It seems waaaay to expensive.

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
BDX makes a good diamond drive oil. i dont have the science and facts for you on it but i use it and havnt had any problem with it. change it every year and you will be fine. maybe upgrade bearing if you take it apart. its only another $70 and is a good preventative maintenance if you ask me. could save you hundreds later on...

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I considered all the opinions and decided to use the Amsoil for DD. they come in pints and have a neat little tube spout. Can be ordered online and delivered to your door.

montananate

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Great Falls, MT
X2 on the BDX oil. It was run in my sled from day one never had any problems get the larger bottle it is enough to get several changes out of it.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
same hole just lay it on the side and fill with the correct Oz for the year.
m7 3.5 oz
07-08 m8-m1 12oz
and 09 up 15 oz

1/8 of play in normal. act drive is arctic cats name for the whole drive system.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I would think diesel would be fine but I have always pulled mine apart to ck the internals.

On my 2010, i drilled a small hole at the bottom of the recess in the belly pan.
Tip the sled on right side.
Remove oil drain plug.
Insert hose which is tight fit in drain hole and route thru hole you drilled.
Tip sled back down and direct oil into container.

Clean and easy. No mess.

Do the same if flushing.

S
Feb 21, 2009
just change it more

how many miles that dd is pretty bullet proof just do not run out of oil. should be fine the arctic cat oil is just hydrolic fluid anyway.

G
Oct 24, 2009
oil

hi I pulled the clutch off , then the cover wasn't that bad to take off , did a good inspection , sprayed cleen with brake clean , put cover on and filled with 75/90 Castrol synthetic gear oil , overfilled just abit ,, no issues works good, remember , an oil change is cheap maintainance , I change mine bout every 300 miles.

Premium Features