• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yz450f vs FE501

B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
HI all, am thinking of setting up a new snowbike. Narrowed it down to the new yammie 450 with electric start and the husky 501. Looking for pros and cons on both. It's gonna have an LT under it. I've always had bikes but it's been a while since I've ridden dirt. Probably looking to use it in summer too. Thanks.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
HI all, am thinking of setting up a new snowbike. Narrowed it down to the new yammie 450 with electric start and the husky 501. Looking for pros and cons on both. It's gonna have an LT under it. I've always had bikes but it's been a while since I've ridden dirt. Probably looking to use it in summer too. Thanks.

I have owned both to me the Yammy is a tank... I find with my ktms I have more annoying issues with gaskets ect.. But both are winners I like the higher Rpms of the the Yammy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I always say a snow bike must have EFI and electric start. After that it's power and revs. This will be the second season on my 500 and I like it. It was a little easier to set up, because it had lights. I haven't ridden a 450, but I do think the 450s would preform better, because the higher revving engine.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA

if you want to use it for both, i'd get the 501. they are great bikes (had one last year). Not the perfect snowbike in the world, but WAY better at both than a yammi.

Now, if you are talking about the new YZF450X, then that's tougher to say. No one has snowbiked one yet and reported about it. It's missing a gear compared to the 501, but might have a touch more power. Both are geared a bit wide. the X is racer and probably not a great trail bike, where the 501 is a ***** cat for being so powerful. so, i'd probably say if you like single track in the summer go for the 501, if you like desert or GNCC racing in the summer, get the X.

H
Nov 29, 2014
CT
www.huntersskidoo.com

The FE501 is hard to deny for a snow bike because it comes with a lot of the stuff you want...

Fuel injection, electric start, light, ability to add kick starter, thermostat, 6-speed, lots of torque, enough stator to run the important stuff, good trail reputation, etc. Every bike has its pros and cons but I think the FE501 comes closest to being a great all around snowbike right out of the box.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yamaha 450 FX hands down. The higher revs make all the difference. still has all you need and more. With the Yamaha Tuner and A flywheel weight I can make a YZ450F into a surprisingly good woods bike. The FX has the gearing to make it even more perfect. Hard to beat a Yamy If the power is anywhere near the YZ450F the FX will for sure be a winner.

B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
Good info, thanks for the help. The revs are what I was more concerned with. Ha e heard that a 350 id a decent bike just cause it revs higher. I don't think I'll go wrong with either one. I guess price might be the deciding factor.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Good info, thanks for the help. The revs are what I was more concerned with. Ha e heard that a 350 id a decent bike just cause it revs higher. I don't think I'll go wrong with either one. I guess price might be the deciding factor.

if you are comparing price, don't forget to add in all the extras that yammi doesn't have as mentioned above. Lighting, stator (maybe needed), thermostat, etc. the 5 spd vs 6 spd is something to consider too. for the life of me, i don't understand why XCFs and FXs are 5 speeds. Drives me nuts.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The 501 and 450fx are similar enough that it will come down to the more subtle things.
As others have noted, the big things are similar:
Electric start
Wide ratio trans
Fuel injected
Decent electric output

Either way you will likely make some mods, but just depends on how much. For example, the stock 501 thermostat will probably get you by with a engine shroud,. but if you are going to do an avid or thermobob stat no matter what, then the 501 having a stock thermostat is moot.

Airbox location might be something to consider. If you open up both boxes to avoid snow issues, intake noise is increased significantly. Some have reported the front-facing yami intake is louder for the rider due to location, and requires use of earplugs. That alone might be the deciding factor for a person.

The power bands are presumably a bit different, but my question is "To what effect?" If the max hp is similar, then one revving higher than the other in and of itself makes no difference (unless you start talking turbos, but that is an entirely other conversation).

I don't know exact power curves and horsepower for each, but for the sake of discussion not necessarily related to these bikes but more to the discussion of "450 or 500", if two bikes made the exact same max hp, but one at 9000rpm and one at 11000rpm, what is the difference as it relates to snowbike use? You would likely just find yourself operating that bike/engine near the rpm that it makes max hp. I think its more more important what the hp curve and torque output and curve are AROUND max hp and not only at max.

Quick revving engines change the feel as well. It feels like the 450 revs faster which makes sense compared to a big bore, however, I've never read documentation that shows the details. Maybe the 450 revs faster (meaning rpms climb faster when measured against the clock), but since it has a wider rev range and needs to rev higher to get to max hp, does it all wash out since it has more rpm to cover to get there? I have no idea, but what if it takes a 450 the same amount of time to rev from 5000 to 11000rpm as the 500 engine from 5000 to 9000rpm. If that is the case, again, how does that effect use in a snowbike? It would be interesting to see documentation.

Same with a "snappy" engine. Some engines feel snappier or "faster/quicker" but does that mean they are? Nope. It is just the seat-of-the-pants feel what we experience from a particular engine tune and power delivery. A weak midrange and/or super strong top end power make an engine feel snappier and quicker than it is. An engine with an extremely linear power delivery might feel slower, or even boring, but could actually accelerate quicker than a snappier feeling bike. Seat of the pants feel can be very deceiving, but in the end might be more important to a rider than actual numbers. Personally, unless riding for a competitive race, I think there is more value in a a bike/engine that "feels" faster even if it is not. Hey, if not in a race, what do we ride for? The feeling! So to me, the feel trumps the actual numbers anyway which means trying a bike to get the feel for it.

Lots of ways to think about it and without riding both back to back, you probably couldn't tell the difference anyway. The wide ratio vs. close ratio transmission probably makes more of a difference than engine at that point.

I guess that got a little philosophical and asks more questions than it answers, but all fun to think through. Ha.

The other thing you might find is, depending on how much you mod the bike for winter use (stiffer fork springs, intakes, etc), you might find it a real pain changing back and forth a couple times a year and end up realizing that it's better to have a dedicated snowbike bike and dedicated summer bike as what works best for each, depending on the person, can be vastly different types of bikes.

Bottom line, either one will be a blast, but if you really want to know what is right for you, you'll need a bit of seat time, even briefly, on each to compare engine feel and other things that no one can decide for you like noise output, chassis ergonomics, etc.

Last edited:
S
Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I agree allot with Chadx other than the Revving. I chose the 2013 Husaberg FE501 (almost identical to the KTM XCW500) for the overall seemed to meet my priorities best. Having a lower rev bike means more shifting. There is no coasting when riding in deep snow, so if you’re not on the gas it’s like you’re braking. There for each time you shift you lose momentum. The revs mean a little more to me, because I’m a grip it and rip sort of rider. I rode dirt bikes all my life and snowmobiles for 6 years and I love to shred hard core lines. The 500s (4 strokes) are a little less of an aggressive approach. I don’t regret my choice, I still like my 501, and I don’t plan to replace just yet, but I do feel it would be a better snow bike if it revved higher. I’m currently looking into how I can increase the rev limiter. If anyone knows please tell me.
I was hoping we would get an off the shelf, all in one machine that was a good snow bike before I turn 50. When I rode BRP Summits I just replaced the heavy muffler with a light weight can. I hope Arctic Cat releases their snow bike soon and it’s priced well. Hopefully it sells easily and encourages other manufactures to join.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Good point on the revs, snofro. I hadn't considered that. That would definitely pan out provided the rev range you are talking about is all use able range. I guess I've never analyzed the Dyno charts or ridden a 450 and 500 with the same transmissions and a tach to see. Would be a super interesting test.

If a 450 has a sweet spot from 8000 to 11000 and the 500 from 7000 to 9000 for example, that would be 1000 rpm wider powerband with the associated benefits you mention. Though, if the 450 has a sweet spot from 9000 to 11000 and the 500 from 7000 to 9000, then they both would have a 2000 rpm wide sweet spot and no associated benefit and it would be other traits of the power delivery that one would want to experience and consider. Fun stuff!

Anyone have a 450 and 500 dyno charts, run on the same dyno on the same day so we can compare the hp at specific rpm and also torque?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
after riding my 501 all last year and having a 450 SXF this year, i can tell you that my 450 is a lot more fun. Revs harder, has more power, power comes on much harder, and it climbs better. it also doesn't mind having the piss rev'ed out of it... my 501 didn't like being rev'd much. it licked to chug. HOWEVER, there is no way on earth i'd ever ride my new 450 on a trail. it would be death!!!

Good point on the revs, snofro. I hadn't considered that. That would definitely pan out provided the rev range you are talking about is all use able range. I guess I've never analyzed the Dyno charts or ridden a 450 and 500 with the same transmissions and a tach to see. Would be a super interesting test.

If a 450 has a sweet spot from 8000 to 11000 and the 500 from 7000 to 9000 for example, that would be 1000 rpm wider powerband with the associated benefits you mention. Though, if the 450 has a sweet spot from 9000 to 11000 and the 500 from 7000 to 9000, then they both would have a 2000 rpm wide sweet spot and no associated benefit and it would be other traits of the power delivery that one would want to experience and consider. Fun stuff!

Anyone have a 450 and 500 dyno charts, run on the same dyno on the same day so we can compare the hp at specific rpm and also torque?

Chadx,

You bring up some very good points. The sweet spots through various RPM ranges of these bikes do parallel one another, but can be operated differently on the high end as one revs out much longer. And YOU BET I do have dyno runs. They weren't done on the same day, but definitely on the same dyno :) in the same regulated room. This stuff is very neat to browse through to isolate how your chosen powerplant when mated to its transmission actually puts power to the ground.

In this first image, we are comparing a stock KTM 450 (Red) to a stock KTM 500 (Blue) with Power on Top and Torque on the Bottom.

Stock%20KTM%20450%20vs%20500_zpsgc3fy1ir.png

Next, we compare that same Stock KTM 450, to a tuned KTM 500 equipped with our PCV-CDI to control timing and raise the rev limiter. Not only do we raise the overall values of power and torque, but also broaden them out to increase the range of that sweet spot by carrying out the revs.

Stock%20KTM%20vs%20IMP%20500_zpsyc86c2xv.png

Another way to analyze dynoruns is sometimes the area under the curve of what is graphed. For example, plotting Speed over Time - when integrated gives acceleration. Or plotting distance over time gives you an accurate measurement of i.e.: one 1/4 mile pass to the next where you could now say "I'd be 2 car lengths ahead of myself" based on back to back runs. This sheds more light on gear ratios and illuminates the pros/cons of every setup.

~T.J.

Last edited:
G
Mar 16, 2013
No Brainer....... yamaha hands down. Higher rpm = faster track speed
= better climbing. I had a 2014 husaberg 501 and currently own 2014 yamaha yz450f. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Premium Features