• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA avalanche air bags?

X

xteam

Dec 2, 2007
looking to buy a pack but not sure which one to go with the float 30 or float 18? any suggestions?

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Honestly I had them both. Started with the smaller and couldnt carry the gear I wanted so went to the bigger pack. I rode 3 days with it and my back and shoulders were killing me from weight. I went back to the smaller pack and re-arranged my gear. JMO

S
Nov 27, 2007
The Northwest
I have both and have to say I love the 18. With the 30, I notice I pack to much stuff and my shoulders start killing me. With the 18 you can only fit so much stuff so it makes it alot lighter. Both great packs. The 30 would be awesome if I didn't overpack.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Just purchased an 18. Was going between 18 and 30 and hope I made the right choice. Based my decision as stated above with weighing too much. Let us know what you pick.

R
Dec 8, 2007
Regina
bca

We tried to fire off two BCA bags today with negative results, Not sure I would recommend them. Going back to ABS. As a result we will be getting rid of our 30 litre bags, both bags one year old and neither fired, thats unacceptable for this kind of equipment.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
We tried to fire off two BCA bags today with negative results, Not sure I would recommend them. Going back to ABS. As a result we will be getting rid of our 30 litre bags, both bags one year old and neither fired, thats unacceptable for this kind of equipment.

Yes, that is totally unacceptable!! I would like to hear back as to why they did not fire. I am in the market for a airbag and am currently weighing out the options....this does not sit well with me.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Yes, that is totally unacceptable!! I would like to hear back as to why they did not fire. I am in the market for a airbag and am currently weighing out the options....this does not sit well with me.

I'm all for competition in the market place, it breeds inovation. The simple fact is that ABS has the proven product in this area, and this purchase can end up being a life or death decision. To me there is only one bag on the market, ABS.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
I have had the float 30 since they first came out. Have fired in a couple times with not trouble. Need to make sure cable is attached right and everything is tight. But I think if I bought on today it would be the 18. I like the smaller profile.

R
Dec 8, 2007
Regina

I agree this kind of equipment is bought as a last resort for personal protection, I question why there has not been a recall by the manufacturer. If the seat belts failed one in two hundred, the car manufacturers would be all over that, leave alone 2 for 2. This bag was for my son, not any more, I will give him my ABS pack until I get another. The more I think about this the madder I am getting! Please check your bags before you go. I can only imagine what I would be feeling had this been the real thing.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Can you go into a little more detail? Did cable not pull the trigger? Did the trigger pull but not release the compressed air? Did compressed air release but not fill the bag?

I agree this kind of equipment is bought as a last resort for personal protection, I question why there has not been a recall by the manufacturer. If the seat belts failed one in two hundred, the car manufacturers would be all over that, leave alone 2 for 2. This bag was for my son, not any more, I will give him my ABS pack until I get another. The more I think about this the madder I am getting! Please check your bags before you go. I can only imagine what I would be feeling had this been the real thing.

R
Dec 8, 2007
Regina
pulled on the cable but the trigger did not release the charge, it appears that the trigger is jammed some how. We checked to make sure all was connected and the cable was on and the cannister shows 2700 psi. So some how the sliding pin is stuck. Not wanting to poke and prod a cylinder with 2700 psi I will be calling the dealer at 8:01 tomorrow.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
also, i am wondering if people are actually assembling the BCA cable and triggers correctly. if you look at it without looking at the instructions.... you will just screw in the outer trigger attatchment in without thinking. there is an inner small diameter thumb screw, inside the outer trigger that HAS TO BE ATTATACHED BEFORE THE TRIGGER IS COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED.

i am not pointing fingers at people, just saying there could be a user assembly error to consider.

ski

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
also, i am wondering if people are actually assembling the BCA cable and triggers correctly. if you look at it without looking at the instructions.... you will just screw in the outer trigger attatchment in without thinking. there is an inner small diameter thumb screw, inside the outer trigger that HAS TO BE ATTATACHED BEFORE THE TRIGGER IS COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED.

i am not pointing fingers at people, just saying there could be a user assembly error to consider.

ski
Yet another problem with these packs....putting them together should be fool proof.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
after the above, just to try them out, we assembled ours tonight, had the wife "try" to deploy the bca float30.... she had to pull with both hands tremendously hard to get it to fire. we bought them at the same time however, it appears once looking at the deployment pulls, she has last years T handle, and i have this years "shaft" style pull.

we had her try mine, and it was harder to find, and the same pull strength to get it to fire. i am wondering in a panic situation, and with warm winter gloves if you could easily find this new shaft style pull, and deploy it, without thinking.

taking our bags to the avy class this weekend... mike duffy, is working with bca so we will ask him. ski

Last edited:
H

highmark289

Feb 11, 2008
columbia falls MT
I just got the float 18 mostly cuz I'm a new father and want to make sure I make it home to my boy should something happen and I'm testing my pack first thing when I get home

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
I had an ABS 4 years ago and sold it as I thought it was very uncomfortable and heavy without anything in it. Bought a BCA Float 30 and couldn't be happier. I have deployed it at least twice a year and had it refilled and deployed it 6 times at Haydays to show customers how it worked. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!!!!
It does need to be hooked up right, but that is no different than an item you use. Follow the directions and it will work perfect. I kind of like the old "T" handle vs. the new style but that is just personable preference. I do have to admit I am looking at one of the Avi-Vests as it appears that it would distribute the weight all over your torso rather than just on your back. Not sold on it yet.
I would not be hesitant on buying a BCA Float. Buy one, test it out and learn to use it and you will be happy.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
I love my float 18 over the 30 I had. The 30 was just to big and heavy for me. The only thing I don't like about my 18 is how VERY VERY VERY easy it is to pull the cord. This past weekend I pulled it on accident, basically you can pull it with one finger, I think a strong wind could pull it.

382102_2726517250789_1492898049_33005161_969396878_n.jpg

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
I do have to admit I am looking at one of the Avi-Vests as it appears that it would distribute the weight all over your torso rather than just on your back. Not sold on it yet.

i have the avi vest and love how it distributes the weight over your back, i can load quite a bit of stuff into the vest as well. very comfortable and not bulky at all.

i pack in the vest, canon hfs10 camcorder, monopole, shovel, probes, extra gloves, beanie, sunglasses, jersey, and have room for more.
i wear it over a tekvest, only thing is it keeps your core really warm, with the vest and tekvest combination.
you will have to alter the way you dress (layers) but i hate to be to warm.
i will never wear a back pack again....

Premium Features