• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5.1 Question

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Did they stiffen the 5.1 in 2010? My 09 d8 5.1 is really soft. I would be psyched if it was stiffer this year.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The guys at Carl's told me it was definitely stiffened for 2011 and should be a great track.

Have FUN!

G MAN

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Wow that saved me a bunch of money.

Looks like i got beer money for the week.:thumb:

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Same part number

Polaris parts manual shows same number for 2010 and 2011 5.1 tracks. I too hope track is a little harder but with same numbers my bet is no change.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Having the dilema of 5.1 or running ce 2.5 or powerclaw or 2.52 pitch series iv.
Everyone where i live (dry powder) is running the polaris series iv 2.52 pitch.
decissions decissions...

Might go series iv.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The guys at Carl's told me it was definitely stiffened for 2011 and should be a great track.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Well that was BAD info! Picked mine up yesterday and the track is a POS - tips flex a LOT more than the Challenger on my Summit (XP track). Wheels are a joke too (really flimsy), as is the small diameter rear axle which uses plastic bushings at the rear adjustment window (not unlike the POS XP axles; fix there was to use the race axles which fit when you throw the plastic spacers in the garbage where they belong) and I had no idea you couldn't cut the rails down on a Poo to accomodate anti-ratchet drivers (I mean the bend in the rails is right up against the drivers... thus the need for the center windows?). Not at all happy with my purchase so far...

Anyone run a C-Xtreme on their Poos? Looks to be about 1/4" clearance at the bulkhead so still plenty of room to go from stock 2.4 to 2.5 C-Xtreme.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
Well that was BAD info! Picked mine up yesterday and the track is a POS - tips flex a LOT more than the Challenger on my Summit (XP track). Wheels are a joke too (really flimsy), as is the small diameter rear axle which uses plastic bushings at the rear adjustment window (not unlike the POS XP axles; fix there was to use the race axles which fit when you throw the plastic spacers in the garbage where they belong) and I had no idea you couldn't cut the rails down on a Poo to accomodate anti-ratchet drivers (I mean the bend in the rails is right up against the drivers... thus the need for the center windows? Not at all happy with my purchase so far...

Anyone run a C-Xtreme on their Poos? Looks to be about 1/4" clearance at the bulkhead so still plenty of room to go from stock 2.4 to 2.5 C-Xtreme.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Actually, the 5.1 is a really good track - it just depends on the type of snow you have. The 5.1 does an excellent job in the dry powder that we have in the rockies. Those that ride in snow with a higher moisture content have had good luck switching to a track with stiffer lugs.

Just run a search, lots of good info on the forums about swapping tracks.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Actually, the 5.1 is a really good track - it just depends on the type of snow you have. The 5.1 does an excellent job in the dry powder that we have in the rockies. Those that ride in snow with a higher moisture content have had good luck switching to a track with stiffer lugs.

Just run a search, lots of good info on the forums about swapping tracks.

Okay, thanks. I'm in the Pacific NW so dry snow is NOT in our vocabulary! :face-icon-small-sad

G

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
In that case, camo x it is! They rock in wetter snow. I run a 2.5 162 under my dege and love it. Think it is going to end up under my new pro

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
A camo-lite it's not, gman. 2.5 camo extreme is your best answer. Most clear on the IQ's, Pro's, we'll see. Don't think you'd want to go with the 155 Pro RMK Assault option, but if you could get one cheap, it would work better in the cascade cement.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Okay, thanks. I'm in the Pacific NW so dry snow is NOT in our vocabulary! :face-icon-small-sad

G

Have you considered F-Bomb's track mod? Cut the nubs and add trim screws into the paddles for stiffness. Do a search and see pics and reviews...well worth a try unless you are convinced you need to buy a new track.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Have FUN!

G MAN

Mountainhorse, care to chime in?

Also, what is the weight of the 5.1?

According to the team leader of the new RMK-Pro's ... The track is identical to the previous Dragon single ply series V.1 tracks.

With a lighter overall sled... the track should "act" a bit stiffer in hardpack compared to the Dragons .

With as big of a weight reduction as the PRO-RMK's have from the previous Dragons... there may not be a direct translation .. the new chassis may not be improved by a much stiffer track like the Xtreme or HCR.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
According to the team leader of the new RMK-Pro's ... The track is identical to the previous Dragon single ply series V.1 tracks.

With a lighter overall sled... the track should "act" a bit stiffer in hardpack compared to the Dragons .

With as big of a weight reduction as the PRO-RMK's have from the previous Dragons... there may not be a direct translation .. the new chassis may not be improved by a much stiffer track like the Xtreme or HCR.

[/SIZE]

That's a good point! I'll try it first. I did get to check out the new Assault tracks too when I was picking mine up (had one on the showroom floor). It was stiffer but shorter (lugs) and I don't want to go in that direction (nor the cut down mod); the snow is DEEP here in the Pacific NW so the C-Xtrme will be my first option if needed. Good discussion!

Thanks!

G

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
without getting into in this thread, do some more research on the different track options people have done on the IQ's (the pros pretty much have the exact same setup). the short version is poo doesn't really provided enough bulkhead clearance and a slightly shorter lugs track (2-2.25 ish) performs just as well as the 2.4s or 2.5s. the real answer is to extend the chain case or do a d&r. now what that is going to do to the handling of the new pro, who knows?

pv

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
without getting into in this thread, do some more research on the different track options people have done on the IQ's (the pros pretty much have the exact same setup). the short version is poo doesn't really provided enough bulkhead clearance and a slightly shorter lugs track (2-2.25 ish) performs just as well as the 2.4s or 2.5s. the real answer is to extend the chain case or do a d&r. now what that is going to do to the handling of the new pro, who knows?

pv

One of the cool features of the new Poo is the great attack angle and the rear suspension. I bet alot of you have seen the video on "how to get a Polaris unstuck". Well, I'm sure that's not gonna happen everytime you get stuck, but it gives you an idea of what these sleds are capable of. When we start doing D & R's and track changes, everything changes including how the suspension reacts. Some of you guys will do some experimenting and find something that may or may not work better. I'm gonna leave mine alone for now and keep the warranty intact unless it just don't work at all, but I don't think that's gonna be the case. We'll see.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I noticed the shallow attack angle today and the limiter strap doesn't look to be adjustable either. And if you plan to go with anti-ratchet drivers... good luck as you'll have to cut away almost the entire bend of the front rails! It should work well stock - time will tell.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Premium Features