• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

144" track issues

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
So I'm building a 144", using a 07 rmk raw 144" skid, dropbrackets from a dragon. I have them mounted properly spaced 28.5" from the front mounting hole and the rear bolt hole 9" down from top of tunnel. Front of rails are chopped off and I'm running a anti-stab. Stock 08' drivers.

I'm in the process of tryin to mount the skid, the track is wwaaaayyyyy too tight, it's crazy. It so tight that I think I could run a 151" on it if I wanted but I don't.

What are going to be my best options to cure this? 136" rails?

Drill new holes in the rails and move them forward? I could probably mount it with an extra inch of wiggle room.

I tired to get it into place with ratchet straps and no dice.

Did I over look something?

Go to a 7t driver?

Just with the front two bolts in its tight as a rubber band!

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
This is a typical problem with the IQRs due to the suspension mount points being further from the driveshaft than the consumer sleds. You could move the suspension forward to gain some clearance, however this increases the attack angle. As you mentioned, a 151 track is an option but you may need to run 8" wheels and possible even do a skid set-back to adjust the track tension accordingly.

I have also seen people shave down the blocks that the tensioner bolts push up against in order to slide the rear axle further forward.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
If you were to move the skid mounting points on the tunnel forward any it would just be through aluminum in front and not the steel plate. I'd also have to removed and re- revit my drop brackets, don't want my tunnel looking like Swiss cheese.

I already have the rear axle so far forwar the the track clips barely clear the end of the rails.

Think 7t drivers would give me enough slack? Is there a way to find out the diameter of a 7t avid vs the stock 9t?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you were to move the skid mounting points on the tunnel forward any it would just be through aluminum in front and not the steel plate. I'd also have to removed and re- revit my drop brackets, don't want my tunnel looking like Swiss cheese.

I already have the rear axle so far forwar the the track clips barely clear the end of the rails.

Think 7t drivers would give me enough slack? Is there a way to find out the diameter of a 7t avid vs the stock 9t?

It is easy math; track pitch times number of teeth divided by PI equals pitch diameter. Actual driver diameter will be roughly 1/4" less due to the space between the track cord and inner surface.

The only correct way is to base all your dimensions off of the driver center point. Which means relocating everything. Sometimes a hour or two of thought will save countless hours of re-working things. JMO though

I don't even like the small stock 8 tooths much less the 7's. Again JMO

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Every long tracked iqr I've seen that is using a rmk skid has used the factory front mount hole or the pilot hole below it, have you seen different? That is how I have my other one set up also with no problems and how I set this one up just the track is so damn tight I can't get the rear bolts in.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I really can't speak for the transplanted RMK skid as all mine are EZ-Ryde's. There is apparently a geometry difference between the 144" and the other skids that seem to work mounted like that. I would recommend finding a 144" RMK like you got the skid out of and checking the driver to front arm dimension as that is the most critical dimension for any skid, as it sets everything else.

Note for every inch you move the front arm forward you will gain 2" of track slack (in round numbers, not exactly). So you may not need to remount everything, just drill four holes forward of your current ones.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I double checked everything, All my numbers and mounts are correct according to what I can find online.

I'm going to drill all new mounting points on the rails. Plan is to move them back 3/4" or maybe on inch, so that will make the rails further forward, hopefully that is enough slack.

Premium Features