• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about ordering a new Enclosed Sled Trailer...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Seems like the going price...

http://www.rbcomponents.com/components/furniture/limited-edition-beard-76in-sofa-sleeper.html

Limited Edition - 76in Sofa Sleeper Bed w/ Cover

Item Number: 2528-M Email to a Friend
Be the first to review this product
Availability: In stock
$825.98

file_1_13.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think I have decided I am going to order one of these trailers.
Now I need to build up the list of Exactly what I want to have installed.

Anyone that has owned a large enclosed trailer care to share with me any thoughts on what they WISHED they had installed when they ordered it that wasn't there after they got it??

In Hindsight I would have ordered..... ??????

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
A lot of the options will depend on how much you want to spend. It will add up quickly.

Make a list for required items and one for nice to have items.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Unless you are pulling that thing on really long trips, I would get the flat deck (no wheel wells)
They aren't that big, but still can get in the way and the rear sleds will ride on them. Always slanted to one side. I pull mine no further than 100 miles tops....about 30 miles most of the time. So an 8 wide flat deck offers the most uses. Just think what you may be using if for other than sleds to help plan it out

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In order to make the RZRs fit, I have to order a +6" height.
So the trailer is already tall.
My current trailer has the "humps" in it and it hasn't proven to be an issue for me in the least.

Given my druthers, I would rather keep the trailer down as low as possible for long hauls.

My normal run is 3 hours.
Hope to be making MANY longer runs this season though.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A lot of the options will depend on how much you want to spend. It will add up quickly.

Make a list for required items and one for nice to have items.

I guess that is what I am asking here.

Just WHAT ARE THE NICE TO HAVE items?

For the purpose of building up the list, lets ignore the cost.

What would the PERFECT DREAM TRAILER have in it???

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I guess that is what I am asking here.

Just WHAT ARE THE NICE TO HAVE items?

For the purpose of building up the list, lets ignore the cost.

What would the PERFECT DREAM TRAILER have in it???

Perfect dream trailer would be a trailer with all the goodies that the Trails west burandt edition trailer has. It sounds to me like your wanting the high mark package from Mirage ;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Perfect dream trailer would be a trailer with all the goodies that the Trails west burandt edition trailer has. It sounds to me like your wanting the high mark package from Mirage ;)
I am seriously considering a customized version of their "Black-Out" edition.

What about the Trails West trailer catches your attention???
I have seen them at all of our snowshows for the last several years.
They seem like they are built like a TANK, and coming from a background of building high end horse trailers, I am guessing they are one of the "sturdiest" trailers out there,

RPM 28 ft. BP Burandt Edition
Burandt Edition with optional 48" Tall Tread Brite Gravel Guard

236.jpg

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th class="opt-title">Available Options</th> <th style="width: 70px;text-align: center;">RPM 20 ft. BP</th> <th style="width: 70px;text-align: center;">RPM 28 ft. BP</th> </tr> <tr> <td> Spare Tire </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
</td><td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Exterior Load Lights </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 14x14 Crank-up Vent (Additional) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 18"x18" Window </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 48" Tall Tread Brite Gravel Guard Front </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Ski Glides for Rear Ramp & Cargo Area </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Tie Down Rail System </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Rear Stabilizer Jacks </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Car Option (Re-inforces Undercarriage and includes Rear Stabilizer Jacks) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Extra Dome Lights </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 14x14 Crank-up Vent (Additional) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Hotwire + Battery </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Traction Blocks for Ramps </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Flex Ski Glides in Front </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Extra Fuel Doors </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Forced Air Furnace (Includes dual 5 gal. propane tanks, bench, timer battery+box) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 110 Electric Converter with outlets </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> BURANDT EDITION (std. with PVC floor, Kicker stereo, Fold-down bench, (2) TB Cabinets, Burandt Decal, boot dry </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> rack, 48" Tall Tread Brite, 110 converter w/(2) plugs, Forced Air Furnace, Traction Blocks, Upgraded Wheels and ski glid </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 30 Gallon Fuel Cell w/Pump and Dispenser </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 5200# Axles (28 ft. only) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Backup Lights </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Benches (set of two) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Enclosed Tread Brite Cabinet </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Ribbon Graphic </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> PVC Laminate Flooring (durable with ski skaggs) </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Stereo w/kicker Speakers </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Boot Dryer </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Rear Ramp Cable Assist </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Porch Light by Man Door </td> <td style="text-align: center;">
green.gif
green.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
The mirage looks nice. I had a buddy that had one of the first ones and I didn't think it held up very well. I'm sure they have fixed the issues by now.

I just bought a Burandt edition trails west, bumper pull, snow check edition and it is by far the nicest trailer I've seen. It has all the thing they have in the gooseneck and a few extras you get with the snow check edition. I didn't realize the track melt was in the bumper pull.
I swore that the next trailer I got was going to be aluminum framed because the steel ones look so ratty in a few years but they diamond plated the frame where it takes the worst beating so that will solve that problem.
I would not buy a trailer without at least giving it a look.

I have been around quite a few different brands of trailers in the last few years, Nash, trails west, atlas, triton, and mirage to name a few. In my opinion the Nash was the nicest for fit and finish, as well as amount of options available, but they have gone out of business for internal reasons. The atlas is a very nice trailer for a great value. But I think the nicest, most sled dee friendly and durable trailer is the trails west. We had a burandt GN last year and the thing was bullet proof, and all the options inside are very utilitarian but very useful and well layed iut

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have been around quite a few different brands of trailers in the last few years, Nash, trails west, atlas, triton, and mirage to name a few. In my opinion the Nash was the nicest for fit and finish, as well as amount of options available, but they have gone out of business for internal reasons. The atlas is a very nice trailer for a great value. But I think the nicest, most sled dee friendly and durable trailer is the trails west. We had a burandt GN last year and the thing was bullet proof, and all the options inside are very utilitarian but very useful and well layed iut

How does that trailer stack up WEIGHT wise?

Its NOT hard to build a great quality trailer, but its mighty hard to keep the weight down to make it friendly to two.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
How does that trailer stack up WEIGHT wise?

Its NOT hard to build a great quality trailer, but its mighty hard to keep the weight down to make it friendly to two.

I don't remember exact weights but I know it wasn't as heavy as you would expect. We have a Nash GN in a similar size that's fully aluminum and only weighed a few hundred less. And a GN is amazing for towing too. I will never go back to a bumper pull

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
28' BP Mirage is 3400#

My 28' trailer is 2240#

Just my opinion but would you care about the weight of the trailer when you have a sixty mph cross wind with an unloaded trailer? I would bet you would want the heavier one. And towing it we did not see any worse mileage than towing a Nash aluminum 28' bumper pull with 12" raised height, or the Nash GN. Another sweet thing about the burandt edition is the track melt system. It will seriously melt four sleds completely in less than an hout

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
28' BP Mirage is 3400#

My 28' trailer is 2240#

So.
Trails West, 5,600lbs
Mirage, 3,400lbs (-2,200)
Rich's 2,240lbs (-3,160)

That would certainly explain a difference in overall durability I would think.
More STEEL = more WEIGHT = more Longevity.

If you make your living building Animal Trailers, your going to tend to err on the side of over-engineering.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
So.
Trails West, 5,600lbs
Mirage, 3,400lbs (-2,200)
Rich's 2,240lbs (-3,160)

That would certainly explain a difference in overall durability I would think.
More STEEL = more WEIGHT = more Longevity.

If you make your living building Animal Trailers, your going to tend to err on the side of over-engineering.

Not really, more steel doesn't mean more durable. Steel frames mean more weight, requiring more fuel to pull the trailer. My aluminum trailer is just as durable as any steel sled trailer, I just won't use as much fuel doing so.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Another thing to consider is warranty. Mirage is one year, I believe. Don't know about Trails West or other brands. Mission/Polaris Trailers are limited LIFETIME warranty.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Not really, more steel doesn't mean more durable. Steel frames mean more weight, requiring more fuel to pull the trailer. My aluminum trailer is just as durable as any steel sled trailer, I just won't use as much fuel doing so.
Yes and No.
There IS a difference in durability when you look at things like FLOOR and WALL thickness. And there is really no way to add thickness and not add weight.

The trails west trailers are VERY strong structurally.
All you have to do is bang on the walls and door frames to see that.
They have more "mass" and you can feel it as you walk through them.
And I would "guess" that the same goes for their floors as well.

But I think WEIGHT is the holy grail of all trailers.
No one wants a heavy trailer if they can avoid it.

Premium Features