• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI: RK TEK "DROP IN" PISTON AND HEAD KIT FOR PRO 800'S

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
If I remember right...... you can run stock weight or some people ad two grams.

Probably should check with Kelsey though....lol

My 2010 assault before rktek, 62's stock sled @ 6-10k max rpm 7850. Aprox 900 miles on motor. " tired top end"
After rktek piston and head kit, stock everything else, 60's @ 6-10k max rpm 8450. Aprox 1300 miles on motor
Thanks for the smile on my face after the first pull Kelsey!
Also loved chasing down the etec 800 freeride :)
Oh, and the sore arms

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I got the orange 13.5:1
I ride from about 3k 8k
Kelsey said that is his 3500+ head
and no .... it didn't even think about a compression test DAMN:face-icon-small-sad should have done that. sorry guys

How did your pistons look ?? did you do a compression test ?? how many miles ??

Don't sweat the compression test. Im my experience, they aren't showing the true colors (answers) on these motors. I notice (and noticed yours as well) that for whatever reason the ring wear is becoming significant in the CFI-2's and compression tests are not confirming this. For whatever it's worth.

Anybody notice the very bottom edge of the piston skirts?

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Kelsey, thinking about the domes for this season. Riding at 6-10k pump gas, what domes and how much? Gonna need help on helix choice also, I know you said team tied, gonna stay with stock secondary for now. Going to 153 ce track with c3 belt drive 2.14 ratio, 8 to 7 tooth driver, my goal is to powder high mark my buddies new 2013 skidoo 154. Sorry Phil..
Thanks again, i'll be calling you next week
Paul

lucasMX358

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
Dickinson, ND
Thinking of doing this to my 13. Anyone else got one ordered...i very hesitant to pull the trigger beings its a brand new sled. I'm coming off a 06 M7, stock motor, mod pipe, can all chasis/ suspension upgrades, and pc 2.25 track. i dont wanna be let down, and i have to beat my buddy's 09 m8 162 with port and polish, fuel controler by Jeff at Dakota Performance. Need ideas,wifes says shes leaving if i get a turbo....

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Don't sweat the compression test. Im my experience, they aren't showing the true colors (answers) on these motors. I notice (and noticed yours as well) that for whatever reason the ring wear is becoming significant in the CFI-2's and compression tests are not confirming this. For whatever it's worth.

Anybody notice the very bottom edge of the piston skirts?

DD, Yes I did take a close looks at the fresh looking metal shine near the lower part of the skirts, I know the post states the cylinders and pistons are with in tolerance but due to the fact that the whole piston is very discolored especially below the rings makes me think something else is wrong? Please tell me what you see here?

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Thinking of doing this to my 13. Anyone else got one ordered...i very hesitant to pull the trigger beings its a brand new sled. I'm coming off a 06 M7, stock motor, mod pipe, can all chasis/ suspension upgrades, and pc 2.25 track. i dont wanna be let down, and i have to beat my buddy's 09 m8 162 with port and polish, fuel controler by Jeff at Dakota Performance. Need ideas,wifes says shes leaving if i get a turbo....

I wouldn't put it on a brand new sled... Why not try it stock? These sleds run pretty darn good in stock form...

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
--The blow-by may be due to loose clearance pistons/rings and RK-Tech

also explains this

replaced them with RKT drop in kit.have 850 km on it now with NO issues:face-icon-small-hap.the clearance was WAY to much.0.20 mm measured 10mm from bottom of skirts,the piston crowns had INSANE clearance.Poo made sure that their pistons should never squeek.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
This is why I ride my Pro stock. It has 4, count them 4, years of warranty. For the very small gains in performance pistons, heads or pipes give it is just not worth losing the warranty. Don't turn up the oil pump, don't add oil to the gas just ride the crap out of it and let Polaris worry about the reliability.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
This is why I ride my Pro stock. It has 4, count them 4, years of warranty. For the very small gains in performance pistons, heads or pipes give it is just not worth losing the warranty. Don't turn up the oil pump, don't add oil to the gas just ride the crap out of it and let Polaris worry about the reliability.

This is a great concept and i followed it to the T. Untill my stock sled ate its own guts 8 miles from the trail head at 15 below.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs

This is a great concept, until you lose a motor at 600 miles in the middle of the season during a 2 week trip and then have to wait several weeks to get it back. Fawk that!

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
replaced them with RKT drop in kit.have 850 km on it now with NO issues:face-icon-small-hap.the clearance was WAY to much.0.20 mm measured 10mm from bottom of skirts,the piston crowns had INSANE clearance.Poo made sure that their pistons should never squeek.

--you guys read this?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
The warranty is great but the downtime associated with a warranty repair whenthe failure is this severe is long and you usually end up missing out on the best riding of the season..

This issue can be less prevalent with a simple piston change and a boosted oiler.. then you get MORE performance and MORE reliability..

IMO, not having that comfortable feeling when you are riding yor sled and WAITING for a failure to occur so you can collect warranty is like knowing your truck is going to run out of gas but not filling it up before it does..

Just my .02

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I wouldn't buy a Pro if i was going to worry about it blowing up. Spending 13k on a sled and then worrying or spending 13k on a sled then pulling the brand new engine apart and putting in new pistons are both things I am not going to do. Prolly putting the jinx on myself now....

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I purchased 2 RT tec piston kits and will be doing the teardown on my '11 and '12 before too long. I am going to do a video and document the measurements for the pistons and block on both. The '11 has right at 2,000 miles, turbo'd since new and the '12 which has a brand new motor. It will be interesting to see the results and I will definitely post up for all to see.

Premium Features