• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For those of you who are thinking of running the Power Claw track on your PRO-RMK

C

chief 8101

Nov 26, 2007
Monroe WA
I took some photos on my driver's and track and then started to look at it closely versus the 2010 M8 snopro in the trailer. I bought the powerclaw track new last year from Michelle in Baker City and after looking at the track closer, someone had already taken off every other nub and I didn't even realize it until today.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Chief and Frau.... that was my first instinct as well...

The only thing though is that you loose the function of the "COMBO" driver and turn it into more of an pure "extrovert" driver.

Chief and Frau... I am sincerely interested in seeing good pics of your drivers in the track and inside of the track nubs on the inside of the rails (the ones that contact the driver)... especially since you have run them for a year.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Please post up some pics!!!

Chief and Frau... I am sincerely interested in seeing good pics of your drivers in the track and inside of the track nubs on the inside of the rails (the ones that contact the driver)... especially since you have run them for a year. QUOTE]

If you guys can post up some pics it would be appreciated. Good to hear you had good luck running the Avids with a PC.

akrevrider

S

springer

Feb 1, 2008
Washington
You will need bisides the track a tunnel ext.3.0 drivers and to lenghten the rails.The best way to lenghten the rail is check out the freedom axle.It may sholve your problem.I am not for sure it will take up that much slack but you will know what options you have after.

C

chief 8101

Nov 26, 2007
Monroe WA
I will post them Wed when I get back to work. My home computer has issues trying to post the pics.

The sled will be in the Phatties Super Shop booth in the main expo hall next weekend if you want to see it in person as well.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Dave... I do remember that... might have been a proto track... I have a Proto series 5 polaris here that does not have center driver windows in.... HMMM...

Can you see if the guy you sold to can send a pic?

Eric if you remember, I bought a Powerclaw when we were at Burandts. I installed in his shop and had no issues with my Avid drivers. The track I bought from VOHK was an early prototype, maybe Arctic Cat changed the track desgn later? Dont have that sled any more so i cant get you any pics.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
theres more than a 1/4 clearance using the SLP 8 tooth and the PC more like 5/8--3/4 Ive got it!!!

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Saw the powerclaw today and wow.... I want one!

I was thinking of getting a finger track this season for all the set-up snow we have here in ND but I can definately see the advantages of this new track.

I need to hurry up and figure out how to run this on an 05 900 rmk!

MURFDOG

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2008
MH- I took some photo's of my PC with 8 tooth avids, I'll see if I can get them posted. I don't do much on computers, other than check SnowWest and look for tools that I "NEED", wife always disagrees.

F

fitler

May 14, 2009
Is this the same for the 900. I have hcr pc with avid 7 tooth driver ready to go.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Dave... I do remember that... might have been a proto track... I have a Proto series 5 polaris here that does not have center driver windows in.... HMMM...

Can you see if the guy you sold to can send a pic?

Horse- ill send pictures of the sled when i get it back from powder this week, itll be next week sometime or i can just take a picture of the track for you...whatever ud like...btw i met you last year when you bought the cover from me in spokane:D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
PICS?.... especially of the ones that have already been run, Please...

Good ones that that show the teeth of the driver and inside the rails of the drive nubs.

The Avids for the polaris shaft will "fit" but they won't give you the benefits you are paying for in a combo driver.

RidnHigh... good to hear that Daves sled went to a good home

Thanks again for the cover.

Also, I just talked with Curt at FTX... he can make a driveshaft to run run the Avid Arctic Cat Extros on the IQ-RMK's... 1.25" hex shaft.

The problem with Polaris Avids on the PC track is that you will have less engagement than either the straight involute drivers or a properly engaged Combo driver. The teeth will be driving the track most of the time rather than just when it is starting to ratchet.

Dont get me wrong here... I'm not out to prove that your setup is not working... just that it is not an easy bolt on n go operation without compromises.

Good luck to all.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
BTW...The 900's have more clearace on the roof of the tunnel than the RAW chassis sleds... The front has less than the dragons, but if you run the $125 VanAmburg low profile front tunnel heat exchanger... you will have good clearance all around and be able to run the 8 tooth involutes and have more clearance than the same setup on a RAW (2007 -2010) chassis RMK.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
The Avids for the polaris shaft will "fit" but they won't give you the benefits you are paying for in a combo driver.

The problem with Polaris Avids on the PC track is that you will have less engagement than either the straight involute drivers or a properly engaged Combo driver. The teeth will be driving the track most of the time rather than just when it is starting to ratchet.

Lucky me just got my Avid drivers in the mail today, I plan on taking them into work tomorrow where my power claw is and really looking at what the potential problems are going to be. I personally dont understand why the track would be driving off the extrovert teeth at anytime, except during ratcheting. Is it because the introverts are not much wider then the base of the extrovert teeth. Either way I will look tommorow, I must say that the sharp as burr on the metal rings of the drivers from Avid, just about pissed me off. How hard is it during manufacturing is it to hit those rings with a grinder and deburr it. Since I am a sheetmetal worker, I can tell you that it only takes about 15 seconds per ring.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Lucky me just got my Avid drivers in the mail today, I plan on taking them into work tomorrow where my power claw is and really looking at what the potential problems are going to be. I personally dont understand why the track would be driving off the extrovert teeth at anytime, except during ratcheting. Is it because the introverts are not much wider then the base of the extrovert teeth. Either way I will look tommorow, I must say that the sharp as burr on the metal rings of the drivers from Avid, just about pissed me off. How hard is it during manufacturing is it to hit those rings with a grinder and deburr it. Since I am a sheetmetal worker, I can tell you that it only takes about 15 seconds per ring.

Midge,

Are the drivers you have 7 tooth or 8 tooth? Can you can take a pic of them mocked together with the PC & please post it up.

Appreciate it,

akrevrider

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Rev, you thinking of doing the PC as well?..let me know what you think..Curt shipped my 2.5 camo x yesterday along with my D&R...be nice to see a direct comparison....

Premium Features