• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ON-THE-SNOW RIDE IMPRESSIONS: 2016 AXYS-PRO RMK ... OUR DAY IN APINE WYO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
b6x9hq.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I know this will seem like small potatoes given all of the other changes, but any more feedback on the new GPS gauge? Heated glove box?

The little dash box is tiny. Same as the short track AXYS RUSH. It might be a tad heated in there. But it's small. Bottle of water in there? I don't remember thinking I could get one in there.

The GPS gauge is FANTASTIC. There are other threads about it. Let me find a link. Its very self explanatory.

The GPS does leave breadcrumbs like your vehicle OEM navigation. VERY COOL for backcountry travel and trail networks.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Scott did you make over into that one wind deposited area in the trees? Levi took me down in there and the snow was definitely deeper and not set up. That's where the Axys really impressed me. It wasn't bottomless by any stretch, but it was still lighter than your typical Tahoe snow, but it was still enough to get a good idea of what this sled is going to be capable of in the deep.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm committed to being available for questions and discussion about this chassis release today.

However, I also have to work right now. LOL
Between actually having to work today (and my phone being LIT UP right now about this)...I'm going to step away from the forum for a bit.

Be back later.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott did you make over into that one wind deposited area in the trees? Levi took me down in there and the snow was definitely deeper and not set up. That's where the Axys really impressed me. It wasn't bottomless by any stretch, but it was still lighter than your typical Tahoe snow, but it was still enough to get a good idea of what this sled is going to be capable of in the deep.

Yes, I did. That's where Sahen was filming right?
MAJOR difference.

That's where I discovered that this sled is NOT a trail sled. It's a pure dedicated off-trail, backcountry mountain sled.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I know this will seem like small potatoes given all of the other changes, but any more feedback on the new GPS gauge? Heated glove box? Oil tank location? Bulkhead cooler? Temps on the trail ride an issue?

I know Scott addressed this already but something to note about the GPS. The RMK version does not require a battery. If you startup and takeoff immediately you will not have all your breadcrumbs saved and there will be gaps in the history. They said to wait 10-15 seconds and it will have booted up properly.

No issues with cooling on the trail. All the sleds had scratchers on them.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Another note: The sled is very narrow. They pulled the side panels in even more, anywhere they could make it narrower, they did. The aftermarket turbo guys are going to have their work cutout for them.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
The little dash box is tiny. Same as the short track AXYS RUSH. It might be a tad heated in there. But it's small. Bottle of water in there? I don't remember thinking I could get one in there.

The GPS gauge is FANTASTIC. There are other threads about it. Let me find a link. Its very self explanatory.

The GPS does leave breadcrumbs like your vehicle OEM navigation. VERY COOL for backcountry travel and trail networks.

I'm guessing this is it?

2015-01-30 12_33_55-2015 Polaris 800 Switchback PRO-S Snowmobile _ Overview.jpg

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
I know Scott addressed this already but something to note about the GPS. The RMK version does not require a battery. If you startup and takeoff immediately you will not have all your breadcrumbs saved and there will be gaps in the history. They said to wait 10-15 seconds and it will have booted up properly.

No issues with cooling on the trail. All the sleds had scratchers on them.

This is just good practice anyway.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Oh, I forgot to mention that the skis have changed somewhat. Same gripper ski but the rubbers have changed to prevent them from pointing up in the air when you go off the ground. It will be a new part number, but ski design is the same minus the different rubber mount.

Also, the clutches, primary and secondary are all new. All new clutch belt. They changed the angles on the clutches, belt to match.

Last edited:
F

fullboredragon

Mar 24, 2009
Interesting that they come with 7t drivers, looks like they fixed almost all the common complaints. Except maybe the carbon over structure. wouldn't mind trying one of the "take off" 2.7's next year on my snow check rmk. Im still going to wait a year for the refinements after the first season and because i have a 15 :face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
And to add, the hifax is actually SHORTER on these new rails.
The rear axle sits about where the hifax stops. The support around the axle extends beyond the back of the hifax.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

edit: Look at mountainhorse's post right down below mine.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
To add, this chassis is rigid. I know it's been said and that word is now infused into chassis marketing nowdays.

But this chassis does not flex as much as my 13 Pro. It responds to input and doesn't absorb my input into the "flex".

Think of it as riding a fully suspended downhill mountain bike. When you stand on the pedals to go up an incline, it SUCKS really bad. You can't build speed. Most of your energy is absorbed by the shocks and doesn't make it to the tires. Horsepower is lost in the flexibility of the bike chassis.

The more rigid the chassis, the more efficient your rider input will be.

Last edited:

Steinegal

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2013
Do you know if the length of the skid shocks is the same as the ProRide RMK? :)
Looks mighty sweet this one, hope they have a Powder-coated tunnel for the LE edition ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features