• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you use protection?

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I believe I have a holeshot skid plate on mine.....just came with the sled so thats why its there....seems to being the job though, as it has taken some abuse.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Put the Skinz on my 800 and sons 700. Great product that has taken a a few hits with no sign of damage. I did the Treedog front bumper at the same time and even the stock Polaris a-arm covers on the 700. That combo looks/performs awesome.

I haven't seen the Holeshot so no comment there. Might want to ask about installation. With the Skinz it was straight forward. Good luck. EW

100_6724.jpg

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I usually try to use protection but sometimes you get home and youve had
a few and its late.... oh skid plates?
I put the polaris one on mine and it fit really well and seams to work ok,
not sure if they are made by some other company.

307 Snow*Moto

Mar 10, 2008
Big Horn, WY
I guess since this is an opinion based thread and forum for that matter take this for what it is worth...my 2 cents is this...the Skinz plate although purposeful is a joke. It is way to big and not cut properly therefore in the shock tower wells you capture huge chunks of snow if you ride in the powder at all. Compounded by those stupid, ridiculously dumb polaris A-Arm guards which only allow snow to build up between your arms and shocks. The polaris one is the way to go. Those add ons only allow snow and ice to build up and if you start getting alot of snow in between them after a good day of nothing but powder riding you will seperate it from you belly pan if you rivet it on. The Skinz plate needs to be trimmed in order to work and not be a snow collector.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I guess since this is an opinion based thread and forum for that matter take this for what it is worth...my 2 cents is this...the Skinz plate although purposeful is a joke. It is way to big and not cut properly therefore in the shock tower wells you capture huge chunks of snow if you ride in the powder at all. Compounded by those stupid, ridiculously dumb polaris A-Arm guards which only allow snow to build up between your arms and shocks. The polaris one is the way to go. Those add ons only allow snow and ice to build up and if you start getting alot of snow in between them after a good day of nothing but powder riding you will seperate it from you belly pan if you rivet it on. The Skinz plate needs to be trimmed in order to work and not be a snow collector.

How do you really feel? But after seeing my friends XP do the same thing you talking about....I would have to agree with you....

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a Skinz float plate on my 08 Dragon, I agree that it could be trimmed out a little closer to the contours of the sled around the "A" arms. That being said, there is nothing else out there that offers close to the same amount of protection. I also have the Skinz bumper, this combo makes for a very tough front end!!! I have lots of Skinz products on my sled, great stuff in my opinion. My wifes sled has the Polaris skid plate on it and it does not offer near as much coverage.

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i will agree 100% with WYO above..

Skinz float plate looks great, however its been far to common for SKINZ to stack the float plates in storage and it will "deform" the mold of the plate..and when guys went to install them, they did not fit in anyway..and SKINZ would not support them and help out..thats the main reasoni refuse to buy one..

plus shipping one is way overpriced IMO..

i am going to get the holeshot..half the price and will work great witha good quality front bumper..

just my .02

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I tried to put a float plate on my 09 dragon and quickly realized poor fitment, sent it in and they sent it back trimmed still poor fitment. realizing I had waisted money on something that is not going to protect anything just give it more area to hit. so I decided no skid plate is better then spending money on something that does not fit or doesn't really protect anything like the polaris skid plate

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow some interesting replies here, my Skinz float plate fit perfect, but I did need some help lining it up to install it on my 08.

Last edited:
A
Apr 8, 2008
Bountiful, UT
I just have the Polaris one. Serves the purpose of protecting the exposed bulkhead. Haven't hit anything real hard with the part of the sled. Only thing I was worried about was the shocks, with the amount of trees I have gone through and not having a problem yet I don't think I need protection. And yes...I know it only takes one time....

over 1300 miles on my 09 with walker evans and not a nick on the shaft yet.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I'm probably somewhat biased, but I love the Skinz float plate. The key words here being "FLOAT PLATE" The increased surface area is designed to increase flotation in deep snow. And this it does quite well IMO. I have even modified the Polaris A-arm guards to work in conjunction with it. Effortless turning in the deep stuff, plus better boondocking capabilities.
I'm not really sure about the snow build up thing. I have read that some of you are having issues with this. I personally have not? Ridden for hours in over the hood powder and not had anything I considered a problem. Especially with the benefit of how well it gets up on top the snow.
I'll check when I get into work, I'm pretty sure I have Skinz in stock. I may have a holeshot left that I would sell for an incredible deal.
Hope that helps.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
We have a red and black float plat in stock for the 09 front $119.99. And one Edge chassis skid plate left in black for $49.99.

Premium Features