• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid Plate

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Anyone install an OEM skid plate on an Ascender chassis? I used to put them on my Proclimbs (3) and really liked the added protection. Bought one for my new to me Alpha and they seem like a lot more work to install then the Proclimb ones were. Local AC dealer quoted me between $280-$350 to install which seems outrageous to me. Do you guys feel like the added protection is necessary? Also does anyone know a different brand that might be a little easier to install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I have the cat one on my ‘20 and definitely think it’s worth it with the low hanging chain case. I like the oem one because it has ribs that glide you up and over the chain case humps. Instal wasn’t that bad, it’s been a few years, but from what I remember the worst part was that the instructions weren’t very accurate for screw placement on the sides. You just have to use some judgement

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have had the Cat one on my alpha for 2 seasons now and has really taken the abuse. Fit is great!
Only bad thing I can see it that to drain your chain case oil you have to remove the MAG side screws (3) to get to the drain plug, unless you want to drill a hole in the side of skid plate to access it easier, other than that its's a good protection item, and not at all hard to install

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Thanks for the advice guys. Do you remember having to drill out rivets? The instructions say you have to and thats the part that intimidates me. I hate messing with rivets.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Thanks for the advice guys. Do you remember having to drill out rivets? The instructions say you have to and thats the part that intimidates me. I hate messing with rivets.

I think there are 2 to drill out ( it's been a minute since I did one )- but using a larger diameter drill bit than the rivet insert, will spin the head off the rivet and then you just punch the core out-
Pretty easy

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I opted to skip the skid plate and instead just installed the BDX chain case guard for $90. Thing is stout and was one of the first things I did to my '21 Alpha. Two seasons of riding and bottom of sled is in great shape.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The thing I don't like about the BDX unit is it still transfers the load up through the chain case with little deflection of force. Might work good to keep cracks at bay on smaller hits. Last rock hit I had with no protection in place cleaned out the bottom and actually broke the case way up by the mounting bolts into the tunnel. That sled is getting the Cat skid plate now. I know of one sled that had the BDX guard and it saved the bottom of the case, but bent the tunnel. I'd put the cat unit on my other supercharged sled, but the water cooler is on the belly so that's not an option. Might do the TKI rub rails on that one this year.

Premium Features