• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Camso 129” or 2014 TS 137”

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
2017 Camso 129” or 2014 TS 137”

I’m looking at buying one of the above mentioned tracks (both similarly priced) to put on a 2012 yz450f for use in the Rockies. I’ve never ridden a Snowbike but am an experienced single track dirt rider, athletic with lots of snowsport experience, 200lbs neked and I’m hoping to get some advice on which track would be best for the mountain riding I plan to do.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m looking at buying one of the above mentioned tracks (both similarly priced) to put on a 2012 yz450f for use in the Rockies. I’ve never ridden a Snowbike but am an experienced single track dirt rider, athletic with lots of snowsport experience, 200lbs neked and I’m hoping to get some advice on which track would be best for the mountain riding I plan to do.

14 Ts isn’t worth more than $1500.00. For reference

The camso will outclimb, last longer, handle better and have some actual resale value down the road.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Well, that makes it a no brainer! Thanks for the response.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The 17 Camso has some issues that they addressed in 18, the 18 is a much better kit. Some of the 17s have been updated, I wouldn't run a 17 without the updates which include the cracking tunnel sides, bad track tensioner, limiter strap etc. You would be hard pressed to find a TS kit around here for 1500 bucks. If it were me I would look for an 18 Camso or go brand new Camso.

M5

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The 17 Camso has some issues that they addressed in 18, the 18 is a much better kit. Some of the 17s have been updated, I wouldn't run a 17 without the updates which include the cracking tunnel sides, bad track tensioner, limiter strap etc. You would be hard pressed to find a TS kit around here for 1500 bucks. If it were me I would look for an 18 Camso or go brand new Camso.

M5

Agree the updates are a must.

Anyone who is asking for more money for an old timbersled is dreaming.
When a brand new raw kit is 3k.........

Now a raw vs camso I would go with the raw.
(And upgrade the track to 129”)

I have 2 2014 ts kits.

One cost $2100 2 years ago.
The other cost $1800.00 last year.

These old kits are insanely hard to get parts for and the prices of the parts keep rising.
After 10 years From manufacture date i bet they will be completely unsupported.

Consider if the 14 still has the single row bearings.
If you want to upgrade to the double row bearings and driveshaft your looking at around $650-850 depending where you actually find parts.

Single row bearings last less than a season..........

Last edited:

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
The '14 TS LT I'm looking at had the greasable double bearings updated in '16. I'd have to buy a fit kit for either kit I buy with the Camso coming in around $1000 more than the TS. I guess I really can't go wrong with either however I'm inclined to go Camso for it being more nimble and still a good climber.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The track is far better on the camso and you could spend that just updating the track on the timbersled ..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The '14 TS LT I'm looking at had the greasable double bearings updated in '16. I'd have to buy a fit kit for either kit I buy with the Camso coming in around $1000 more than the TS. I guess I really can't go wrong with either however I'm inclined to go Camso for it being more nimble and still a good climber.

What’s the total?

Consider a new raw for the reliability factor. (3k with a year warranty)
Add 1k for a cmx 129 and extensions.

Have better handling, ski, track and suspension than either the 14ts or camso.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Agreed... Raw better all around but for climbing and powder still hard to beat the Camso. Spring the raw is much more nimble ...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Agreed... Raw better all around but for climbing and powder still hard to beat the Camso. Spring the raw is much more nimble ...

This is definitely the case for a stock raw kit.

But i wonder how a 16-17 era timbersled will do with a camso or cmx track? (In 129 length)

2 guys locally ordered the 129 extensions and camso tracks for their 16 ts so I hope to try them out this winter.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
The ‘17 camso updated to ‘18 parts is $3600 CAD with fit kit and the ‘14 TS LT is $2600 CAD witha fit kit. I’ve got a friend who’s has a ‘17 and an ‘18 Camso as well as a ‘16 TS LT and he said the only way he would own a Camso if it’s under warranty due to his experience of parts breaking on both Camso units. He likes the Camso well enough in all ways save durability and found for the riding around here that the TS LT did better in the deep snow. I suspect the Camso is the better all around choice for deep snow and spring snow however I think I’ll go with the TS on price and durability for this year and look for a used ‘19 Camso next season if I like the sport and decide to continue riding in winter.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The ‘17 camso updated to ‘18 parts is $3600 CAD with fit kit and the ‘14 TS LT is $2600 CAD witha fit kit. I’ve got a friend who’s has a ‘17 and an ‘18 Camso as well as a ‘16 TS LT and he said the only way he would own a Camso if it’s under warranty due to his experience of parts breaking on both Camso units. He likes the Camso well enough in all ways save durability and found for the riding around here that the TS LT did better in the deep snow. I suspect the Camso is the better all around choice for deep snow and spring snow however I think I’ll go with the TS on price and durability for this year and look for a used ‘19 Camso next season if I like the sport and decide to continue riding in winter.

2k cad isn’t bad for an updated 14 and the correct fit kit.
Run it and decide if you want to invest more.

Keep in mind the handling of the 14ts will never equal that of a 16 ts but spend some time setting your front track shock spring preload and they can do ok.

Slide the tilting front arm spacers in all the way so it doesn’t tilt anymore and you will gain some track speed.

Be careful not to run the track or chains too tight as that also robs trackspeed (power)

Especially with the older kits riding with a full 3.3 gallon gas can on the tunnel helps balance the front to rear weight bias.

Lastly get some stiff fork springs for the front. Probably the worst snowbike experience is with a diving front end. (It makes life miserable)

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Thanks for the tips Sheetmetalfab, appreciate it and I'll do as you suggest.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Anyone know if the side panels on the '18 Camso track kits prone to cracking as they were on the '17's?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Anyone know if the side panels on the '18 Camso track kits prone to cracking as they were on the '17's?

No issues on mine in 40 hours...... but the 17 got ran into all types of things and I did not have an issue either;) Plus it had a turbo..... The timbersled I replaced the side panels twice hitting stuff that for sure should not have made them break on my 15...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Timbersled comes apart in pieces... So the two long side panels that go front to back bent on it when I hit a rock under the snow in a ditch
Say again, not sure what you are saying...

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Slide the tilting front arm spacers in all the way so it doesn’t tilt anymore and you will gain some track speed.

Be careful not to run the track or chains too tight as that also robs trackspeed (power)

Especially with the older kits riding with a full 3.3 gallon gas can on the tunnel helps balance the front to rear weight bias.

Lastly get some stiff fork springs for the front. Probably the worst snowbike experience is with a diving front end. (It makes life miserable)[/QUOTE]s

Ok, thanks for the tips, now to implement them:

Got the '14 TS 137, tore it down and did the bearings. How do I tilt the front arm spacers? I'm not even sure where they are.

What are the ideal specs on chain and track tension for best track speed?

Got the 3.3 gallon mountain addictions can coming

How does one decide where the shock preload should be?

Premium Features