• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why all the Proclimb sucks comments?

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Over the winter, I saw a lot of guys bashing the hell out of the Proclimb. Basically, they said it sucks. Why?

The Proclimb is a great fickin sled! Yes, some 800's have had belt issues. M1100T's have had reverse issues.

The first thing typically said is the Pro is lighter. Well, I saw a 2012 stock Proclimb go up against a 2012 Pro, and guess who out marked the other? It wasn't the lighter sled. I have always said, give me 10 hp or lose 10 pounds, I will take the ponies every time.

Here are my thoughts-

Engine- Cat (Suzuki) makes the most powerful and reliable engine out there. Through the M series and now PC, the engine has always been a strong point. I like knowing when I go riding, I will get home becuase the engines are extremely reliable.

Chassis- I like it. When I get on my M1000 now, it feels low, unresponsive and dated. I like the way you sit up on the PC. It gives great leverage for Boondocking and carving turns. Confortable to sit or stand on. I think the new chassis is a huge improvement over the M. Does it need some tweaking? Sure, but not a bad first effort.

Strength- These sleds, like the M's are TOUGH! I have hit, rubbed, smashed and blasted through and over stuff that should have destroyed spindles, broken tunnels, grenaded panels and mauled running boards. I know a XP would not take that kind of abuse, and I doubt a Pro would either. Sleds may be heavier, but they are built like tanks and can take far more abuse in my opinion than either a Pro or a XP (XM). Run a Doo or Poo HARD for a few years and see how they hold up.

Cost- My buddy rents Doo's to tourists. I have an idea of what it costs to fix one. Holy Crap! The parts are insanely expensive. I always though Cat parts were reasonable. I have done my share of damage over the years and it was never unreasonable to fix the damage.

So, for 2013 you have a Poo coming out at 417 Dry (or whatever it is). Will it be reliable? Will it take serious abuse? Will the engine hold together? When you go that light, you have to compromise. This thing to could fold in half like a taco when pushed. Structural integrity could be a serious issue like the Doo a few years ago. They never did really solve the Dragon and 900 engine issues, have they solved the Pro one's?

Me, I am not going anywhere. So the 2013 cat is heavier. Well, good for it. At least I know when I smash over that downed tree, hit a rock coming out a chute, or roll it 5 times, it will get me home. Plus, I know I have 15 more hp under the hood and my engine won't grenade in the middle of a season.

Everyone seems to think the goal of the manufactures is to build the lightest sled. Is it? How about a light, reliable, responsive, RUGGED sled? One that last years. One that comes home everynight. One that is very powerful. One that takes a backcountry, boondocking beating without breaking a sweat and comes back asking for more. One that is fun and does everything extremely well, from Boondocking to climbing.

So, before everyone screams Poo, 1. wait. See if it hold together and is everything promised. Remember, this sled is glued together and is trying a new drive system. 2. The Cat maybe heavier, but I think it is more than a match for anything else. 3. The Cat wears it's weight well. It is a well balanced sled and you can use the wieght to your advantage. 4. So, it isn't narrow enough for you, light enough or powerful enough? Well, Cat probably has more aftermarket parts available to custom design your sled the Yammi, Doo and Poo combined. Pipes, cans, tracks, intakes, big bores, turbos, suspension, and the list goes on and on and on. They are pretty freindly to mods.

Lighter is not always better......... :)

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
People love to complain, hate to praise. The belt issue is definatly the biggest problem and cat should have jumped on it and hit the ground running, bad move not to. I feel sorry for the guys that are having the belt problems and I do think cats owes them some loyalty too...goes both ways. But you know, as soon as something is not just right everyone thinks they got took. Like the guy on here with the stage 2 bikeman kit. Beat everyone on the hill, pulled like a freight train, clutches and belts ran cooler, but said it was not worth the money because clutch made noise which I assume was the reverse cogs in the helix. Hey, I sure stuck my foot in it this time...that was you! Snowest hs gotten full of a bunch of whiners, I'm not talking about the guys that have had real problems, just the bunch of groupies that keep it all going. Getting old.

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
The ProRMK doesn't seem to have serious structual problems, and their engine problems are at least down to an acceptable level.

The Proclimb in stock form is nothing to write home about, unless you have an M1100T, at which you have a lot of power. Both the 800 and 1100 have pretty severe problems on at least a decent portion of the sleds.

People bash the Proclimb because it doesn't really outmatch its competition, and unlike its competition, it has known problems that don't have fixes.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
I think it's funny how some of you guys post how you love your pc then now I come into this thread and read that your saying now they arnt nothing to write home about. I have a m1100t sp and love it and have not had one problem yet. Even if I did have one Problem with it I wouldn't come on here and complain about it and say it was junk and another sled is better cause it's lighter. Just ride it and be happy and if your not happy because of a little problem then cry about it to someone else dnt come on here and sulk.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Well even with all the "issues" with the ProClimb Im still probably going to buy 1. Most belt issues come from being geared too high and spring tension. I have a few ideas Id like to try if I get 1 next season. Most fellas that are complaining just need to divert bck to basics on what causes these problems. And YES Cat should be assisting/supplementing and giving warranty.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
New design and first year, there is going to be problems. I have no doubt, that Cat will have the problem fixed for next year. I'm looking at snow checking one this year.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
People love to complain, hate to praise. The belt issue is definatly the biggest problem and cat should have jumped on it and hit the ground running, bad move not to. I feel sorry for the guys that are having the belt problems and I do think cats owes them some loyalty too...goes both ways. But you know, as soon as something is not just right everyone thinks they got took. Like the guy on here with the stage 2 bikeman kit. Beat everyone on the hill, pulled like a freight train, clutches and belts ran cooler, but said it was not worth the money because clutch made noise which I assume was the reverse cogs in the helix. Hey, I sure stuck my foot in it this time...that was you! Snowest hs gotten full of a bunch of whiners, I'm not talking about the guys that have had real problems, just the bunch of groupies that keep it all going. Getting old.

Yeah, that was me. I was simply giving an honest opinion on an aftermarket product. It pulls great, but I have never had a clutch that had a grinding noise down low. I haven't used reverse with it. I don't know if it is normal or not. I will do some more tuning and get some better clutch guys to look at it and see if it is setup right. I have not done much with clutches before.

I am not bashing my sled though. Love it. I got burned out on sledding. The M1100T got me back into it.

I have bashed Cat some this year, but that is the company, not the sleds. Other than reverse, my M1100T has been bullit proof.

Like I said, I like the Proclimbs. I have ridden both the M1100T and the 800. Rugged, powerful, comfortable, fun and a well designed next gen sled. No complaints from me.

If you spend your time always comparing your sled against other manufacturers, some years you will be dissapointed. Cat will not be the lightest, most powerful sled every year. I think the pros far out wieght the cons (the only one other than belts being weight). For me, I don't worry about Doo or Poo's. I just ask myself if I am having fun on what I got, and the answer is a big YES! :)

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
If you spend your time always comparing your sled against other manufacturers, some years you will be dissapointed. Cat will not be the lightest, most powerful sled every year. I think the pros far out wieght the cons (the only one other than belts being weight). For me, I don't worry about Doo or Poo's. I just ask myself if I am having fun on what I got, and the answer is a big YES! :)

well said.
Any brand will not be the lightest, most powerful, etc. every year. I love my new pro climb, and I will stick with cat. I've been through a few belts, not as many as others, but there will be a fix...and cat sent me a free $190 belt. I think that's pretty decent customer service. (venting seems to help, that's next on my list of mods.)
Sometimes it seems like people on the cat part of this forum expect cat to absolutely crush the competition on every level, every year. All current brands make great sleds...if they didn't, they wouldn't be in business.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
theres just a lot of pro rmk owners, and of course whichever sled you buy is the best one on snowest and all the others suck as soon as you buy it.

but in 2010 when the M8 was the #1 selling mountain sled there wasnt motors going down like crazy.. but its all because of the number of them out there...

hahaha

i have been preaching the performance difference on the hill all year, but everyone scalded me for even mentioning it cause the pro rmk is so lighter and is so good in the trees.

so i remained half humble the rest of the year and was going to let the machine do the talking. several of my pro rmk buddys know where there sled is better easier to hold on its side.....,but in the same sentence have no doubts about the high mark and jumping the new kitty puts on the table.

-Aksnopro

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have been very resisitant to even throwing a leg over a Pro RMK because I thought I was going to HATE whatever sled I was currently riding after. Bud tried my PC down the trail today so I jumped on his Pro. First impression was NOT good, lol. Ergos felt weird, throttle pull was heavy, clutch engaged hard. Sled felt super heavy to me, even on the trail. I took a few turns in the soft, my PC tips up way easier. However, when his RMK tips up, it turns/carves/changes direction. My PC goes straight when tipped up, it takes a lot of effort to get it to rotate, hopefully the stock skis are the culprit, if I can ever get my hands on a SLP saddle I will get my PP skis on there. I also hate the footwells, I found out today that they are dangerous. Silly sled likes to fall over when carving on thje flat if I lean to far, when it does I just fall off so it doesn't get stuck. Well, foot was in the footwell today when I did it and bailed, hyperextended my screwed up ankle and dragged me backwards before my foot tore out. It bent the footwell part back, it pulled on my ankle so hard. :(

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
The biggest complaint I have heard about the Pro is motor, and not blowing up. It gets it's power high in the RPM's and doesn't have much down low like the old M7. The M8 and even more so, the M1000, cured this.

I have never cared about weight as much as I have about motor. I am a power guy, probably why I went for the M1100T instead of the 800. In real world boondocking, in many instances, you need the juice fast and sometimes from a dead stop to make a move. You don't have time to wait for it to tack up.

HP is simply a number, torque is what is important. The Cat 800 and M1100T simply have fantastic torque curves. They have the power throughout the entire RPM range. To me, this is what seperates the PC from the rest, pure power to get the job done whether screaming wide open at over 8000 rpms or making a move from a dead stop. Throw in the new chassis, and in my book you have a winner no matter what the weight. I have also never had a problem waiting for boost on the M1100T either. Hit the throttle and it is there.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Well, foot was in the footwell today when I did it and bailed, hyperextended my screwed up ankle and dragged me backwards before my foot tore out. It bent the footwell part back, it pulled on my ankle so hard. :(

My buddy riding a pro nearly tore his foot off today same situation... such a scary feeling when you try to bail & your foot is stuck.

I try to never stand in the footwells, but it's happened to me on the m a couple times too...not even sure how the heck I did it!!

The PC DOES have some things it sucks at... just the way it is. I keep trying to increase downhill accuracy in nailing a line other than straight down the hill... can't quite get it to happen, but I'll get there eventually.

The pro has things that aren't ideal as well.... just less of them imo!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Yah, when it happened all I could think about was another guy who was here last week, told me a story of getting his foot stuck in the rear footrest brace thing on his M1000 when losing it off a cliff, it dragged him down, broke his femur and a couple other things, had to get life-flighted off the hill.
Not sure why my foot was hooked in when I was doing it, other than the snow wasn't great and I like to be able to wrench the sled around with my legs, so my right foot was hooked and pulling, left foot probably didn't want to be left out. :)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The PC DOES have some things it sucks at... just the way it is. I keep trying to increase downhill accuracy in nailing a line other than straight down the hill... can't quite get it to happen, but I'll get there eventually.

THAT is what drives me nuts with this sled. ProRMK buddy rode mine last week in an open area, later on commented that it was easy to lay over and ride/sidehill/turn. I had to point out that it does them well, but it pretty much does it on it's own terms, lol. Put trees in the mix, on a downhill, and it makes it a lot more difficult. You just never know where the sled is going to end up or when it will decide to start making a turn once it is up on one ski.
Hope Powder Pros will help.
Stupid me thought that $42 was for a PAIR of saddles/mount kits, lol. Other one will be here this week.

Premium Features