• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in 10 M8 with mineral oil

Mohabba

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2009
Nuuk, Greenland
Im considering breakin in my 10 M8 with a mineral oil instead of synthetic.

Would using mineral oil void the warranty?

Anyone did this in their break in procedure?

Should I have any problems doing this?

I would do this to get a better piston ring seal.

Thank you for your comments

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Using striaght Mineral will not void your warenty. I run striaght mineral in my M8 after running syn oil for the last several years. I ran APV for one season in my M8 and had more problems with tar/carbon build up on the power valves than when I used to run mineral in my 03 summit 800. So I am now running Ski-Doo Striaght mineral in my M8. I will be switching over to Legend ZX-SR as soon as it arives. The legend is also a Mineral Based Oil.

Jason

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Does it really make that big of a difference? Seriously, if you ride the thing like you are supposed to you aren't worrying about getting 9,000 miles out of your two stroke. Break it in like you are going to ride it wide open.

Mohabba

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2009
Nuuk, Greenland
Lynxer -

I do intend to break it in wide open. I just thought that there would be nothing wrong in having considerations about what oil type to break in my sled.

simplypete

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2009
true dat homie. Personally I don't know enough about any of that to comment, but I support you in your quest.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
unless you take the oil tank off and drain it you are going to break it in with whatever the dealer put in it, also, it has already been running wide open at the factory and most have been run at the dealer, so.........Im just saying put some oil in it and go have fun:D

Mohabba

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2009
Nuuk, Greenland
So there should be no problem with warranty if i run a standard AC mineral oil for break in?.

Is mineral AC oil rated enough?

Thank you

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have no idea what your dealer put in it, I am sure he used what was in his bulk barrel.

Mohabba

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2009
Nuuk, Greenland
Our Cat dealer is very conservative and will do anything that Cat tells him. They are doing whatever cat has stated to my sled before letting it out, doing some heat cycles with the APV oil in it followed by some very easy runs outside their shop. They want me to break in the engine very easy on a tank of mixed gas - in short - the easier the better break in.

That wont happen - i will load it in some good snow after maybe a couple of heat cycles

I will lose all the APV in the container and line if i can bleed it properly and break in with mineral oil.

I have Legend on the way by ship but not within a month.

Just to clear it - can i run Cats mineral in it? We dont have much 2s mineral oil around here maybe some 2s Yamalube.

If im out of oil in the middle of nowhere what oil rate can i use without voiding warranty?

My 04 Johnson 140 4 stroke manual stated an oil rate that was sufficient if i had no access to oem oil

Thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features