• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long rod motor issues??

O
Dec 6, 2007
They are stout, come with a warranty backed up by the best service in the business. I don't think the rod angle was ever the issue but the simple fact it is built to Dan's standards is probably what makes them live.

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
Anyone use an RKT big bore with an indydan long rod motor? Hrmmm......

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Putting one together with a long rod crank as we speak. I did a lot of things differently then most people would... didn't just bolt an 858 cylinder onto a long rod bottom end so it might not be a valid representation for most people. Expect to have it running in a couple of days and hopefully on the dyno shortly after.
Neil

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
There another forum member doing it as well, forget his signature but he is overseas. Ryding#### something like that.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
That would be me, have had it up and running for a couple of weeks, pulls strong but need better mapping and clutching for my area. Little mileage so far, no snow atm.

LR pulled very strong with PAR ultimate combo before i put the 858kit on.

Wanna share what you did to yours fast_xc?

John R.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
That would be me, have had it up and running for a couple of weeks, pulls strong but need better mapping and clutching for my area. Little mileage so far, no snow atm.

LR pulled very strong with PAR ultimate combo before i put the 858kit on.

John R.

I have a question so did you use a different piston or thicker spacer or what had to be done to make it work

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
R keeps us updated on this please, very interested in seeing if it can work. Also would like to know what elevations you are running and any clutching/mapping and fuel solutions you come up with.

Seems we may derailing the OP thread, 5oo miles on my LR and not a problem sorry.

l

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
[/QUOTE]

John R.[/QUOTE]

858 Rev 1 Pistons, Long Rod Crank, 2 base gaskets, Custom cut domes on SLP head to accommodate the dome height, custom port job to achieve desired port timing and flow. Custom programmed ECU (cfi 4 motor). This added some cost, but with the benefit of maintaining very good secondary compression and reducing the side loading on the skirts substantially as the wrist pin will be 3mm further into the bore than any other combination. Should have it fired up this week, but there is no riding in my area right now due to warm weather/rain. Hope to dyno it at DTR early next week.

Neil

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Can you share how and where you had custom tuned ecu? Sounds like a nice build. Neil I rremember meeting u at pikes peak hillclimb years ago, you sure know how to mod a sled. Are you building this motor for the iqr that you had or something new? My LRTM is still sitting on my bench, been to busy with work and we already lost all our snow.

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Constant evolution of the iqr until the new chassis comes.out. I had Carls.cycles put their 860 program into it and will fine tune from there with a pcv. That tune should.eliminate any of the runability issues that all is of the stock cfi-4 tunes had.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
250miles on my Indy Spec. LR and working great! Wish i could report back with more miles buts that's all i have had time for so far this year.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Everybody has a different opinion on what a proper break-in is.
I Varyed throttle without sustained wide-open for the first tank.
I try to be anal about my warm-ups.
The second tank about halfway through I reverted back to riding it like its stolen.

C
Dec 11, 2011
Montana
I have went through 2 motors in a month both motors rod bearings on long rod motors dan told me to do 3 tanks on my next one both the motors that blew I did the tank break in

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Interesting for sure.
I'd be looking closely at my oil pump/lines.
Hope this one does better.

Seems odd that a rod bearing would fail from premature thrashing.
Maybe i've just had good luck with my motor rebuilds?
Dan has sure seen alot of motors apart for various reasons tho.

C
Dec 11, 2011
Montana
It's odd to me to oil pump was good on the stock motor and just wanted to better it so I put a long rod in it motor made it 100 miles and gernaded was useing a qt and 8 oz of oil per tank

Premium Features