• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 m8 clutch engaging hard

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
Dont have too many details, my brother borrowed my sled this weekend and said that it is engaging really hard. I personally have not had the sled in the mountains yet so I can't tell you what the RPM's are at when it is engaging, and he didnt check. It is all stock except for a can, I used the stock 68 gram weights that are recommended and the spring is stock also. Is Arctic cat off on the clutching recomendations under the hood?

Is this normal or is there something I can do or check? He said it was engaging so hard that he was thrown off of it a couple of times.

Heading to Cooke this weekend and would like to have this remedied before I go, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
I am pretty much a noob on all of this, and what little clutch experience I have is off of a polaris. So how do I check deflection and how do I check if the rollers are free? When I pulled the weights off of the bolt I notice one of them was really hard to get off, although I dont see how that could make a difference, they dont spin on them like a polaris does correct? They are set screwed in I cant see how. I have no owners manual with this sled so...I know nothing.

Thanks,

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
belt deflection should be the top of your belt sticking roughly 1/8" above the secondary clutch. it is adjusted by adding or removing the washers on the cap that the bolt slids through too hold your secondary to the diamond drive shaft. also make sure you check for a worn out belt. and the nuts that are on the bolts holding your weights in place cant be too tight or the weights will want too jerk on engagement. hope that helps ya!

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
Ok, we may be on to something here, you are talking about the bolts that hold the weights on, with the rubber o-ring correct? I did tighten them up to the clutch so I am assuming there must be some play in them for them to spin freely?

I am also going to be checking the belt deflection and I read on here all I need to do is shim it out until the belt squeaks then pull out one shim and I should be good as long as I am not squeaking. Does anyone think there is anything wrong with this technique?

Thanks for the help fellas, I am learning as I go.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
adjust the deflection until the track just creeps forward with track off the ground. if you go much more it will squeek then you have to do it twice.
the nuts that go on the clutch post/bolt should bottom out before they get too tight and keep the weights from swinging. easiest thing to do match the threads on the bolt holding your primary to a piece 1ft long piece of all thread then thread it into crank put some big washers and a nut on tighten it until it compresses the clutch some. then you can check each weight is swinging freely and that your rollers are still smooth.

if the belt is worn the belt to sheave clearance may be too big causing it kind of smack on engagement because the sheave gets a run at the belt. should be .020 w/ feeler gauge between belt and sheave.

Premium Features