• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS Weight Settings for Pro

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Hey everyone,

I am coming from a Nytro and have a brand new 2015 Pro 155 sitting in the garage. I will be running it bone stock except for clutching and will be using MDS weights. I am working with Steve to get me set up for my elevation but would like to gain as much information as I can. I have looked high and low but cannot find much information on tuning these weights except that many people love them. I am hoping to get a wide variety of settings that I can add to my notebook to make fine tuning my clutching quicker without out as much trial and error.

I ride mainly Wolverine, MI and throughout the UP. So 500-1500 ft. I do plan on going west to ride but won't be for another year. I will be running the 110/290 primary spring per Steve's recommendation and leaving secondary stock. So far he has me starting with the Hex bolt and one washer in the tip, possibly a drilled out button head in center. This is starting with a 63g base weight. What weight combinations are you running for this low elevation to get optimum RPM?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Ill have to check my notes and get back to you; which might be awhile. If you haven't heard from me by the time snow flies shoot me a pm. I had a couple setups that worked really well in the UP, tight technical on off on off throttle stuff. Real responsive, but not a ton of top end fwiw. But then again, I never really had room for top end in the UP.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Hey everyone,

I am coming from a Nytro and have a brand new 2015 Pro 155 sitting in the garage. I will be running it bone stock except for clutching and will be using MDS weights. I am working with Steve to get me set up for my elevation but would like to gain as much information as I can. I have looked high and low but cannot find much information on tuning these weights except that many people love them. I am hoping to get a wide variety of settings that I can add to my notebook to make fine tuning my clutching quicker without out as much trial and error.

I ride mainly Wolverine, MI and throughout the UP. So 500-1500 ft. I do plan on going west to ride but won't be for another year. I will be running the 110/290 primary spring per Steve's recommendation and leaving secondary stock. So far he has me starting with the Hex bolt and one washer in the tip, possibly a drilled out button head in center. This is starting with a 63g base weight. What weight combinations are you running for this low elevation to get optimum RPM?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

last winter i was running epi white, 125/280 with hex and washer in tip and drilled no washer in middle at 1500 ft. 8300-8350 on trail 8200 in soft. in premium mode.

i was running 100/340 polaris and running 8300 in reg mode, put in prem mode and went to 8500 rpm, so i put the white epi spring in. it is just over the counter at my local accessories store, polaris is further away and had to order the 110/290 and was also twice the price.

steve said to add a washer to mid drill bolt to pull harder, not sure if i did this or not.

Last edited:

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
That sounds close to what I expect to see starting out. I got my springs straight from Steve so they weren't expensive at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
weights

Starting at 63 grams is a little light for 0-3000 ft. Poo's come with 68 gram weights from the factory here in AK for riding that low. I run 68 gram mtx's, there actually 67.7 grams, with 2 grams in the belly & 1 gram in the tip, total of 70.7 grams. For your secondary, get 3 delrin washers & put them all in, one on each side of the spring & one under the spring cup, this will help with back shifting, & the delrin washers are super cheap, other than that, you don't need to do anything else to your secondary. Hope this helps.

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
Pretty sure I run more heel weight than tip weight I've played around with mine a lot for the same altitude when my sled comes down off the shelf ill check and see what I'm running. But your gonna want to set it up for 8350 on hard pack.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
My 14 pro had mds. Sea level to 5000' stock motor except par 12.5 head. 100/340 primary spring stock secondary. I had hex with washer in tip, and drilled one in the base. High rpm under 2000' 8400. But at the 3500-5000' 8150-8200. All day long. And im 250
Lbs. All geared up. I also went up too 7000' twice with it and would still hold 8000 rpm. A good all around set up.

Last edited:

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Thanks guys, this is all great information and I appreciate it. Can't wait for the snow to fly and get some seat time dialing in this clutching on this sled.

Sorry green_denali I should have been a bit more clear. My base weights are 63g not including bolts. With hex and washer in tip and drilled bolt in base it's just under 71g total weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Yah they are great but i couldnt get them to work in cooke for me with his specs. I was barely revving 8100 in town and couldnt see over 7700, fiddled with them a bit and finally took all the screws out and still nothing. I was pissed. I had a blue pink slp and 56 gram weights at home.... I should have brought them

Last edited:
G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
Hey sorry I said heel weight but is actually the tip weight that you want. Hey sledneck_03 did you change out your primary spring when you were in cooke? The primary spring used for low elevation will not work well with mds in high altitude.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Hey sorry I said heel weight but is actually the tip weight that you want. Hey sledneck_03 did you change out your primary spring when you were in cooke? The primary spring used for low elevation will not work well with mds in high altitude.

yup i put the 100/340 in that came with the kit, i didnt change the secondary spring.....not sure if that was the culprit, A second 2014 pro was having trouble too, he put in proper weights for the altitude and didnt change his secondary either... maybe that was the answer.

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
How do these weights compare to running the stock weights? What i mean is i know that MTX weights run heavier to comparable to stock weights. Is it similar for MDS?

Premium Features