• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HP numbers missing? Who is the idiot...

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Even Cat changed their tune this year. Last year they were claiming "on independent dyno tests.....163HP" This year their ad says "160+"

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's crazy because the whole concept is worthless. I want to know what the HP is as much as the next guy, but so many variables change that for elevation anyway. Even if sled 1 is dynoed at 160 and sled 2 is dynoed at 150 at the same location/dyno at see level, they could dyno closer in HP (or even further away) at 9,000ft.

I think that there is too much variance in dynoing sleds. It's not like some of the manufacturers that would not even post sled weight numbers. That was a little more concrete and they were simply hiding that they had a fatter sled.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There is a big "*" on everything a mfr prints for specifications.....it says "mfr's specifications subject to change".
I doubt anyone sued and if they did it was probably quickly thrown out.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Well, according to dyno reports the 2010 Cat is 163 and the 2011 Pro is 143. (specs subject to change ... LOL) I rode these to sleds (back to back) in Washington State in April at 6000'. I would say that the Cat had a little bit more power than the Pro, but it surely wasn't 20 HP. The Pro had a real awesome power band, that I felt was more rider friendly than the Cat's, but it had really good power. If the production runs of the Pro are even close to the Demo's, then I'm gonna be one happy camper. I could give a rat's-*** about HP numbers on a dyno.

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
I would say that the Cat had a little bit more power than the Pro, but it surely wasn't 20 HP. The Pro had a real awesome power band, that I felt was more rider friendly than the Cat's, but it had really good power. If the production runs of the Pro are even close to the Demo's, then I'm gonna be one happy camper. I could give a rat's-*** about HP numbers on a dyno.

I agree...just ride it! At the same time, what if SLP did a test at elevation of the big 3 800's bone stock...in say Togwotee or similar (ya know, up high where we actually ride), then a test with their pipes. To me, I want to know to know more how they stack against each other. If the Cat has 20hp more on the same dyno at the same elevation on the same day...we'll now we know. Somebody test all 3 and post it so we can know what we are buying. I could care less if it has 154hp at sea level...who rides at sea level? Hello...McFly...duh!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
If it does a better job of getting the power to the ground, or if it has a better power to weight ratio, it doesn't matter how much it is rated for. 'Seat of the pants feel' is all the rider will know while pulling them up the mountain and everything I have read says that it 'Feels strong":D

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
...who rides at sea level? Hello...McFly...duh!

Alaska Does! We have to re-jet (carb sled) and re-clutch every new mountain sled bought up here to return full horsepower. Yah, it's just terrible getting all the HP advertised...:nod:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Don't forget the CFI's had a low elevation remap in 2010.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features