• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doing my first Top End whats the easiest way to get coolant out?

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
you guys are all dumbasses with the pump and vacs have you met gravity?
put the sled on the side with the coolant bottle on the low side. pull cap with bucket below and loosen the highest head bolt and let drain into the bucket. this takes the horizontal cooling loop and turns it vert. head bolt is now the vent. done.

Sounds like a potential mess and warped head to me, not to mention scratched up plastic, or a coolant soaked pad to prevent scratches...unless you have an assistant to hold the thing while you do it the hard way... :baby::baby:

May be a good way to catch some coolant to recycle when your parting out sleds, not so much when the guy doesnt want his investment all scratched up from meeting the concrete floor.

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for all the input guys! I am purchasing the Siphon to see how that works if no luck will use the Wet/Dry Vac method.

Dan

Mar 10, 2013
What kind of file do you guys use to file the Ring End Gap? Just any skinny enough file to fit in the gap?? Also what is a Easy way to make sure you file it straight?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
you guys are all dumbasses with the pump and vacs have you met gravity?
put the sled on the side with the coolant bottle on the low side. pull cap with bucket below and loosen the highest head bolt and let drain into the bucket. this takes the horizontal cooling loop and turns it vert. head bolt is now the vent. done.

Dumbass for having ZERO mess (in the motor as well as out) with being able to reuse the coolant??? If you say so. lol

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Sounds like a potential mess and warped head to me, not to mention scratched up plastic, or a coolant soaked pad to prevent scratches...unless you have an assistant to hold the thing while you do it the hard way... :baby::baby:

May be a good way to catch some coolant to recycle when your parting out sleds, not so much when the guy doesnt want his investment all scratched up from meeting the concrete floor.

You think i part out a lot of sleds? Yep 3 over the past 3 year most of this is shop repair and my own.

put a shop towel down to help with the marks for you pre Madonnas ( not like your wiping a baby's azz ) and no probs as for the warped head are you smoking crack again!! you have to take off a head bolt at some point to get the head off. hit the bucket and you can re cycle the coolant.

Last edited:
Premium Features