• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Stage III issue?? update: bad piston rings?

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Exhaust temp probe NOT the fix...

So....did it run?

Honestly, not sure yet, but I did have some positive results yesterday...Here's my story since the dealer replaced my exhaust probe, and was pretty sure it was fixed...

Took sled out for a ride on Friday night, did only 11.1 miles, sled was running fine, but I was a little disappointed with the kit upgrade. Wasn't really noticing any difference, if anything, the 2012 pro that I had on loan from the dealer, seemed a little more peppy, more pull on the arms. Wasn't able to tell for sure, thought it might be just the difference in cans giving a deception of power. Dealer had a MBRP can on his sled, which sounded great! Also, pretty icy conditions, so traction wasn't the best. Regardless, I sure wasn't that impressed with the upgrade and the hassles I have had this past month and a half.

Took sled out yesterday, rode another 7.7 miles. Sled ran fine, but still didn't seem to have much of a power increase. Stopped for about an hour. Fired sled up, warmed it up, and ran it across a lake. Wouldn't go over 6200 RPM. Here we go again!!! Thought I would throw in a new set of plugs and try and make it back to my house. Put in a slightly used set of iridium plugs. Also, changed out my non-ethanol resistor with the 10% ethanol resistor. (This was a suggestion from Dustin at SLP, in an earlier post) Decided to carry on with my ride, try and get some more miles on and see what happened. No use taking it back to the dealer in a running condition.

Actually put another 27.4 miles on without sled crapping out!!! Wow, I actually saw some power difference as well. Sled was actually exciting to ride now, almost scary at times!!! Starting to think that maybe the resistor was the problem. Odd to put in the 10% ethanol resistor and see a performance gain. I am running non-ethanol premium. Called up the dealer today, and ordered up a new non-ethanol resistor to see what happens with that installed.

Gonna be a long time yet before I am actually confident that the sled is ok, but I was optimistic yesterday, after I noticed the change in performance after changing out the resistor. Fingers crossed. Very tired if trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

I guess that the exhaust probe wasn't the problem after all.

How are things going with your sled?

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There have been reports that non-ethanol fuel actually can be found too have some ethanol in it.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
How are things going with your sled?

I wish I knew. So....my sled sits in the service shop at Sports City until they can get to it. Hopefully today at sometime. I know this. My trouble started this year. I believe the stage III kit is not the culprit. It's coincidence. I rode two times with kit without problems...however..the tempuratures was in the high 20's low 30's. Sled seems to be ok until tempurature is under 20-24 degrees and then it fouls plugs. If I start the sled and let it idle, it will foul a set of plugs. If I let it heat soak for a while I can change plugs and it will run. Still has a rich/misfire between 5400 and 5800 rpm but it will run. But like you, it really doesn't out perform or out run my dad's stock 2011 800 PRO. Neck and neck at best. Trail or powder. The pipe sensor didn't fix the problem. Put stock reeds back in after seeing mutilated VForce III reeds. Has brand new injectors.....what else is there? Maybe that little resistor f'ing thing is the problem. I will have my guys check it out. What I don't understand is why would more fuel fix the problem with it's the plugs that foul? Confusing to me unless the resistor is bad and causing more fuel to be used.

I will post once we get it figured out. Thanks for the information on using the ethonal resistor.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I wish I knew. So....my sled sits in the service shop at Sports City until they can get to it. Hopefully today at sometime. I know this. My trouble started this year. I believe the stage III kit is not the culprit. It's coincidence. I rode two times with kit without problems...however..the tempuratures was in the high 20's low 30's. Sled seems to be ok until tempurature is under 20-24 degrees and then it fouls plugs. If I start the sled and let it idle, it will foul a set of plugs. If I let it heat soak for a while I can change plugs and it will run. Still has a rich/misfire between 5400 and 5800 rpm but it will run. But like you, it really doesn't out perform or out run my dad's stock 2011 800 PRO. Neck and neck at best. Trail or powder. The pipe sensor didn't fix the problem. Put stock reeds back in after seeing mutilated VForce III reeds. Has brand new injectors.....what else is there? Maybe that little resistor f'ing thing is the problem. I will have my guys check it out. What I don't understand is why would more fuel fix the problem with it's the plugs that foul? Confusing to me unless the resistor is bad and causing more fuel to be used.

I will post once we get it figured out. Thanks for the information on using the ethonal resistor.

it's not more fuel that will fix your problem, its more fuel in the right places and less where you don't need them. it's kinda like, howcome a dirty fuel filter makes your MPG go down? :face-icon-small-con

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I understand that it's where the fuel is being used but the resistor should be a start to finish effect on the fuel and/or timing. I don't think it changes only map. I thought it adds 5% all the way through. Not 5% at startup, 10% and midrange, and 6% WOT. It's just crazy to me. I sure hope the find something glaringly wrong with it.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta

Had troubles with mine even at warmer temps (was about 28-30 deg here on Sunday when I had issues).

Don't know if the richer running conditions by using the the 10% ethanol resistor, had anything to do with improving performance? I suspect not. Suspect maybe the other resistor was faulty. My dealer ordered a new non-ethanol resistor for me, so I can try it out to see what happens. I am still not even sure that the resistor was the fix, yet. Do know, that I did see significant improvement after putting in the 10% ethanol resistor. All I had to try at the time, didn't think it could make things any worse.

My understanding is, that running with the ethanol resistor on a stock sled, would slightly decrease performance (due to sled running a little richer to compensate for the 10% ethanol fuel). Because I saw improved performance with the ethanol resistor, it leads me to suspect that the other resistor was actually defective.

Question I have is, how does the 10% ethanol resistor actually work? I was under the impressor that it caused the ECU to add extra fuel. My dealer believed it slightly retarded the timing, but wasn't sure on that. He was going to follow up on that, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I was thinking that if the resistor just causes the ECU to add extra fuel, then it should not matter which resistor is used, if running the PCV fuel controller. The fuel controller should do it's thing, as programmed, no matter what the ECU is trying to do? I really don't know, just my thoughts based on my limited knowledge. Does anyone know how this works. Would it actually matter what resistor is used when running the PCV controller?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Had troubles with mine even at warmer temps (was about 28-30 deg here on Sunday when I had issues).

Don't know if the richer running conditions by using the the 10% ethanol resistor, had anything to do with improving performance? I suspect not. Suspect maybe the other resistor was faulty. My dealer ordered a new non-ethanol resistor for me, so I can try it out to see what happens. I am still not even sure that the resistor was the fix, yet. Do know, that I did see significant improvement after putting in the 10% ethanol resistor. All I had to try at the time, didn't think it could make things any worse.

My understanding is, that running with the ethanol resistor on a stock sled, would slightly decrease performance (due to sled running a little richer to compensate for the 10% ethanol fuel). Because I saw improved performance with the ethanol resistor, it leads me to suspect that the other resistor was actually defective.

Question I have is, how does the 10% ethanol resistor actually work? I was under the impressor that it caused the ECU to add extra fuel. My dealer believed it slightly retarded the timing, but wasn't sure on that. He was going to follow up on that, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I was thinking that if the resistor just causes the ECU to add extra fuel, then it should not matter which resistor is used, if running the PCV fuel controller. The fuel controller should do it's thing, as programmed, no matter what the ECU is trying to do? I really don't know, just my thoughts based on my limited knowledge. Does anyone know how this works. Would it actually matter what resistor is used when running the PCV controller?

imo, return it to stock. if it still don't run, start swapping parts from a doner sled till you/dealer fix it. That's where i would go. eleminate all other interfernce's and questions about the SLP kit. Still, with a digital wrench i would think it would be simple to find.

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008

The PCV has no effect on the ECU at all. It can only change the fueling after the ECU has decided what signal to send to the injector. For example: If the PCV map says add 5% fuel at 5000 RPM and 20% throttle, it is adding that fuel on top of what ever the ECU is already directing. All of the ECU functions remain operational including the ethanol plug.

Dustin

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
The PCV has no effect on the ECU at all. It can only change the fueling after the ECU has decided what signal to send to the injector. For example: If the PCV map says add 5% fuel at 5000 RPM and 20% throttle, it is adding that fuel on top of what ever the ECU is already directing. All of the ECU functions remain operational including the ethanol plug.

Dustin

Thanks for the explanation Dustin.

So, if I am understanding correctly, you are saying that I should still run the appropriate plug to match the fuel I am using. I also assume, that since I noticed a significant performance improvement, after changing out the non-ethanol plug to the 10% plug, that this is further evidence that I had a faulty plug to begin with?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Shop did cold test and hot test on the resistor. Spec is 160 ohm, resistor reads 159.4 ohms. Probably not the culprit.

I will post more when we finish more testing.

BTW: Dealer took out some fuel and tested it to see if there was ethanol in fuel. Nope, not a drop.

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Ha! Found the culprit. Will post what it is once I see how we get it fixed. Let's just set the record straight and say IT'S NOT SLP PARTS and it has nothing to do with them being on the machine.

Either way I guess the sled is going to get fixed.

Premium Features