• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle Pull of new Pro RMK?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Don't mean to sound like a wuss but a torn thumb ligament from freeride mtn biking has made this year a total nightmare for riding my carbed Summit. It will take at least 2 years to heal so I need a sled with lower throttle resistance or I need to install a lefty. I need a new sled anyway and like the advertised better agility of the Poo. Will this be a good choice or do I need to go with the E-tec in a new Summit?

Thanks,

G MAN

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
should be the same as the dragon..and they dont pull hard at all compared to a doo.....

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
yah a finger throttle like on the newer watercraft. Takes some getting use to, had one on the quad and catwalked wide open on the rear bumper down the street for a couple hundred feet and had to bail. never hit the brain to let go with just the index finger, i was holding on really tight when the bumper hit hahaha

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I checked out all the 2011 sleds for throttle pull (one of my pet peves)...

In order of heaviest to lightest pull, IMO.

Ski Doo Carbed
Yamaha
Ski Doo E-tek
Polaris
Arctic Cat

I just cant figure out why, with a very similar design Mikuni Throttle body set, that Polaris would actually spec out a heavier throttle pull than the Cat????

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Here's how I roll! Been doing this since the 2nd ride on my first sled. Never will I go back. My riding buddy's have all had me roll theirs too:face-icon-small-coo

IMG_0257.jpg

T

Tanman

Mar 23, 2009
Ketchikan , AK
Ihave thought about a finger throttle before as I am a freeride jetski kid by trade and am used to riding with one. But on my sled I like to stock Polaris throttle set up. but my oil pump is bypassed and I run premixed so i am not moving as much linkage around and really never have a hard time keepin' 'er pinned!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Ihave thought about a finger throttle before as I am a freeride jetski kid by trade and am used to riding with one. But on my sled I like to stock Polaris throttle set up. but my oil pump is bypassed and I run premixed so i am not moving as much linkage around and really never have a hard time keepin' 'er pinned!

Not sure if you can tell from my pic above, but I use the stock throttle assy and just roll it around to the front. You do have to be careful not to rip the warmer wires out and you will have to disconnect the throttle cable at the blcok and then reinstall it on the front side of the bar. Oh, and also you will need an o-ring to wrap around the kill switch as you will probably hit the off button in the worst possible situation:face-icon-small-sho

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
gman, the goldfinger lefty impressed me on my 09 dragon, never got in the way, never confused it with the brake or any other negative things i was told would happen. I had right shoulder and arm issues and would have been unable to ride without it. ... but i could use it ( the injury ) as a good excuse to buy a new sled :face-icon-small-win
so your jumping fron doo to poo... interesting:face-icon-small-con

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
gman, the goldfinger lefty impressed me on my 09 dragon, never got in the way, never confused it with the brake or any other negative things i was told would happen. I had right shoulder and arm issues and would have been unable to ride without it. ... but i could use it ( the injury ) as a good excuse to buy a new sled :face-icon-small-win
so your jumping fron doo to poo... interesting:face-icon-small-con

Yeah, we installed a lefty on TGZTsunami's sled and it worked great but my thumb should be good enuff by next season so we'll see. I tried turning around the throttle assembly for the rest of this season but haven't gotten out on it yet.

As for Polaris - no doubt huh?! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd ever own one but they finally built the sled that I've been wanting for years - light nimble mtn sled with decent power. BRP has never invested the time in mtn sleds that Poo and Cat has. I was ready to get a 2010 M8 but those still have compromises, especially in the bumps. So Pro RMK here I come! Hope I made the right choice!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Yeah, we installed a lefty on TGZTsunami's sled and it worked great but my thumb should be good enuff by next season so we'll see. I tried turning around the throttle assembly for the rest of this season but haven't gotten out on it yet.

As for Polaris - no doubt huh?! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd ever own one but they finally built the sled that I've been wanting for years - light nimble mtn sled with decent power. BRP has never invested the time in mtn sleds that Poo and Cat has. I was ready to get a 2010 M8 but those still have compromises, especially in the bumps. So Pro RMK here I come! Hope I made the right choice!

Have FUN!

G MAN

I spent the last couple of days going back and forth between the 2010 M8 and the Pro. Love the M chassis and the power of the '10 is great. After riding them back to back, I believe the Pro will shine boondocking and on the bumps. That coil over is the good stuff with great flotation to boot. Sidehilling, take your pick. Straightup hillclimbing, probably the M8. Don't have any experience with Doo, but I know it won't suit my riding style. So, for the best all around package (for myself), I went with the Pro.

Sorry, kind of off topic there, but I did notice that the throttle pull on the Pro was not heavy at all.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Update: Well I tried crf118r's throttle mod and it was worse for use on a Doo (tho I could see it might work with a lighter throttle pull like a Poo). Apparently Tom (Tom's Snowmobile) has a mod to lighten the throttle pull of the 800R; too little too late for me tho - can't wait to get my Pro RMK!!! And my thumb should be much further along in the healing process by next season.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Premium Features