• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 E-tec blowing coolant out surge tank

D
Nov 28, 2010
La Grande, OR.
I just got my sled back from the dealer after having an engine replaced due to piston failure. Now if I fill the coolant surge tank to the proper level, when you rev it up, it will shoot a stream of coolant out the vent hole a good 15 feet. I have to run the tank at a lower level now to prevent this, also it sems to be running at irratic temps. I have put 185 miles on it since I got it back and there has been no change. Any ideas?????????? Also I have tried two known good rad. caps.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I just got my sled back from the dealer after having an engine replaced due to piston failure. Now if I fill the coolant surge tank to the proper level, when you rev it up, it will shoot a stream of coolant out the vent hole a good 15 feet. I have to run the tank at a lower level now to prevent this, also it sems to be running at irratic temps. I have put 185 miles on it since I got it back and there has been no change. Any ideas?????????? Also I have tried two known good rad. caps.

Typical O ring failure/pinched at head

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If you leave it at the level it "wants" to be at(like after it pukes out the coolant) will it stay at that level or does it puke more coolant out all the time? I have found that engines set their own coolant level most of the time and not to fight that and I ignore the mark on the bottle and use it as a guide line for the first fill only.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
If you leave it at the level it "wants" to be at(like after it pukes out the coolant) will it stay at that level or does it puke more coolant out all the time? I have found that engines set their own coolant level most of the time and not to fight that and I ignore the mark on the bottle and use it as a guide line for the first fill only.

Pretty much what I've experienced too. My Pro decided it wanted to stay at an inch below the line, so that's where it will stay.

Premium Features