• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

apex with 290 kit, quick question

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
i have a apex with new 290 kit on it, installed in feb 09, came set up at 14psi. it has the aux fuel pump also. Now my question is, can i turn the boost up a bit like 16psi without doing anything with the kit itself? will the mcx box just readjust the fuel accordingly? Do i need to get the box reflashed again to run 2 psi more boost??This is the newest 290 kit i was told for when it was installed. i could tighten the wastegate rod 2 turns and it should be in the ball park. I know i need to run better fuel at the psi also. anyone???? thanks in advance D

Last edited:

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Is it a big hazzle for you to get the ECU reprogrammed?
If it was me i would reprogram the ECU to ~16psi (or according to octane you run) and adjust the rod to ~14psi when running on uncertain fuel quality, and put a switch to the cable running from ECU to the TCS valve.
Pros: Automatic altitude boost adjusting, two boost levels w flick of a switch.
Cons: The hazzle to get ECU reprogrammed.
I have the MCX display and found it to be one of the best purchases i've done to the sled, with it you obviously can see all necessary data (boost, lambda....) in realtime and also get logging capability on nearly unlimited runs, which you can transfer to a computer for analyzing in comfort of your home for finetuning of the boost maps and fuel maps according to your preferences.
btw, 2 turns on the rod isn't gone get you from 14 to 16psi, just under 15psi, if you have the same spring in the wastegate as i have 3 turns is ~1psi.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Put a boost controller on it, adjusting the waste gate rod every time you want to make a change is just red neck. My friend has the 290 kit on his apex and it works great at 18 pounds with a 50/50 pump race fuel mix and never had a lean pop of any sort or a hiccup.You will be fine:beer; Heres one for ya.... same sled, when the dealer got it done for him the waste gate rod was set at 22 psi and running around on pump gas for two days and never new:confused:.( this is when we got him to put a boost controller on) He was liking the sled so much and power he never really looked down to see what he was running.I thought it was going a little to good for 14psi .

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
It's not the lean pop you have to worry about, it get's plenty of fuel, the stock fuelmap goes to >20psi, but why put an manual boostcontroller when you have an altitude compensating with the MCX?
If you are an flatlander it works with an manual, but you miss one great future with MCX if you put an manual and drive in the mountains.
Instead of spending money on an manual boostcontroler, go all the way and get the MCX display = Boost controller, fuel controller, shows lambda, boost, rpm, tps and logs all of them, just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
thanks so realistically back to the original question i can tighten my rod for more boost and not have to worry about the fuelling, it should be fine doing this? i only want to run 16psi anyway.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
The answer is in there :).
Yes, no problem, you can tighten the rod for 16psi, and if you are a flatlander you have no need for altitude compensation either, sorry if i got carried away, i still would suggest you consider reprogramming ECU, if you must put in fuel with lower octane sometime to get two diffrent boost levels with flick of a switch!

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Does it work better without the boost controller to maintain a certain boost pressure and pressure spikes? Mine just seems to be fine some day then the next the boost is all over the map......I have a turbo smart boost tee...figured that was the problem, and was just going to try to run off setting the rod.....can you get 17psi off boost out of the waste gate actuator by making it shorter?

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Usually there is an 17.4 psi spring in the actuator, so you'll be on the edge!
And the reason i stay away of manual boost controllers is because the trouble you are having, i read of a lot of people having trouble with irregular function with boost all over the place!

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Usually there is an 17.4 psi spring in the actuator, so you'll be on the edge!
And the reason i stay away of manual boost controllers is because the trouble you are having, i read of a lot of people having trouble with irregular function with boost all over the place!

i was told to remove the solonoid and just use the manual boost controller, the reason the boost fluctuates so much is cause of the electronic controller jumping all over the place, you can just unplug it and remove it then run the manual boost controller right there at the turbo and no more boost fluctuation. the wastegate spring is approx 10psi i was informed.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
i was told to remove the solonoid and just use the manual boost controller, the reason the boost fluctuates so much is cause of the electronic controller jumping all over the place, you can just unplug it and remove it then run the manual boost controller right there at the turbo and no more boost fluctuation. the wastegate spring is approx 10psi i was informed.

I have the 06 kit on mine which doesn't have the electronic boost solenoid...just controls fuel....where as your kit maintains and compensates for altitude with the boost pressure...

Mine just seems to be really touchy pulls way to much boost then the next time its only pulling 10psi...maybe its my boost tee not working that well..

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Does it work better without the boost controller to maintain a certain boost pressure and pressure spikes? Mine just seems to be fine some day then the next the boost is all over the map......I have a turbo smart boost tee...figured that was the problem, and was just going to try to run off setting the rod.....can you get 17psi off boost out of the waste gate actuator by making it shorter?

Do you run a liquid filled gauge or just air?

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
I would unhook the MCX compensator and install a Hallman Manual Boost Controller and be done with it. Best manual boost controller I have used yet. Very consistant, unlike the one that MCX uses to automatically compensate with.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I would unhook the MCX compensator and install a Hallman Manual Boost Controller and be done with it. Best manual boost controller I have used yet. Very consistant, unlike the one that MCX uses to automatically compensate with.

If you read a few posts up its a 06 kit no compensation for booost pressure....just have a turbo smart tee....

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Ya, you just have to get a good mbc. Not all boost controllers are created equal:beer; Hallman is one of the best. If you have a good boost controller like Hallman or Gready Tvvc you won't have that flux.

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
I have the 06 kit on mine which doesn't have the electronic boost solenoid...just controls fuel....where as your kit maintains and compensates for altitude with the boost pressure...

Mine just seems to be really touchy pulls way to much boost then the next time its only pulling 10psi...maybe its my boost tee not working that well..

Shawn
I had simmilar problems on my m8t with a bit of fluctuation it would be 2-3 psi different day to day at the same riding area it was a turbo xs controller. Ryan has a hallman on his nytro and it was always the same day to day. I didn't realize the controller could cause this i thought they were all of simialair quality. Might have to get a couple from Brad for the m8 and the mcx when we head back down to get the apex and nytro.

chris

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden

Then i guess you are misinformed, the spring in mine and everyone else that i know of have 17.4 psi springs, thats how i can have the low boost setting @ 14.5 psi and high boost @ 18 psi.

I never experienced fluctuating boost with MCX boost controller, and i log my runs alot, this on many diffrent sleds, wonder why some seem to have trouble? and what causes the trouble? i heard of some that have frozen tho, but it could happen to all types of boost controllers.

Premium Features